“Excellence” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Devi Garh by Lebua

You added Devi Garh by Lebua to your Saves list
Devi Garh by Lebua
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Delwara, NH 8 | near Eklingji Udaipur, Rajsamand 313202, India   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Rajsamand
New Delhi, India
“Excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Love the whites in the room, The History of the place, the amazing turns and the charm of losing your way in this Historic Palace. Its one of the jewels of Rajasthan and a must stay for at least 2-3 nights.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vienna, Austria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Usually between reading tripadvisor reviews and a hotel's website you get a pretty good idea about a place. This one was the worst mismatch we had ever experienced! Planning for a treat at the end of our vacation, we booked this design icon for 3 nights... and walked out of it immediately. It is so run down, dirty and disappointing that I actually had to fight tears. The website is so manipulativly photographed, I still get frustrated thinking back.

If you look for an old palace and do not mind the long drive to Udaipur (1.5 hours, only one road winding uphill and all vehicles need to take it) it might fit, but then again it seems completely overpriced.

Recommendation: avoid this one, take the Lake Palace, it will cost you the same and delivers on its promise.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Situated in the little village of Eklingji this converted palace overlooking the Aravali Hills offers every luxury and every convenience. The number of suites are limited so that you enjoy the ultimate in modern ammentities.
The all white restaurant offers breath taking views over the township and mountains and serves excellent food in auspicious surroundings. Go here to be pampered.

Room Tip: For a large family group the top suite can be hired in conjunction with a subsidiary directly opposi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Before I begin, lets put it this way, I have to be an Idiot to have ever have said anything negative about this place no matter what the conditions were, and while one can not change the past, Mr. Manish & his staff did all to make this the greatest experience ever, So do read as this is a long ride, but I assume should make it worth it.

Now if you go back I have previously stayed here and had some issues, but those issues were never something that would ever not want me to go back, I personally have never found a place this breathtaking and still allowing you to feel the roots of the place and the country it's in. Busy days at work, Can't take time off to go anywhere, Wife misses Grilled Fish, every where in the world we travel she keeps showing them an image of a Fish she ate at Devi Garh, so I quickly send Mr. Manish an email, now I have to say I have been a Selfish and unfair human as in November he did email me with a wonderful apology, but for reasons I can't think of or explain I did not even reply, I know too late for an apology at this stage but still I have to say it's one of the blunders I wish I do not think of, He replies back instantly, so patient was he and the staff I think Mr Yogeshwar & Mr. Gaurav that even though due to a meeting I was not able to confirm my arrival they still held a room, this was done without a card on file, again something few places have done.

At night wife says, Please I want 'Pho', I'm like how do I get her that? I email the chef, Mr. Shobhit, who instantly acknowledged and said we will have it for our dinner. Ok now excitements were high, as this was primarily a trip to just allow ourselves a quick unwind.

Early morning we set off, and without drama we reach the hotel, a wonderful welcome at the door, flowers sprinkled at the main door by a Kind Frenchman, and we were greeted by the team and the manager Mr. Manish, now comes all that they had done will divide it in acts,

Act 1 : The Room

So When Mr. Manish said we will be upgraded to their President Suite, I was left wondering ok a big room in this palace, this will be fun, and when Ms Suchita took us in the room, honestly speaking I was awe struck! We had a damn Pool to ourselves, and a Jacuzzi, I have never seen my wife jump in joy like that the last time was in a wonderful Suite in Four Seasons but that was without a Pool, and in a few Taj Hotels, but trust me nothing matches this. And in the previous trip I had some AC issues, believe me it was taken care of so well that in this heat we could freeze to ICE Cubes had we stayed longer, :)

Act 2 : The Food

While we drained our excitement in the room we went to the restaurant, and while goosebumps did arrive walking their wonderful staircase which can take care of your cardio for the day, we meet one of the best staff they have at the restaurant, Prathavi, Lucky he remembers us, and we order our menu, and comes another surprise, we have been treated to a private Dinner, in one of their fine locations which we were allowed to choose, this got even better, and best thing is at lunch came the Star of this Hotel, Mr. Shobhit, Their Sous Chef, believe me anyone who stays here meet him, this guy can some day earn Michelin Stars, he is beyond words, and the greatest Chef alive in this world considering he is still young, more on that later. He prepared a complete personal menu, and we were set for 9:30 P.M

Act 3 : Back to the Room,

Ok honestly so excited was I about the pool, that shamelessly opened the door and just jumped in, I don't even know how do I swim? But heck this was some amazing time, and we were served Drinks / Tea in the pool, and being a Tea crazy guy, to have it here was amazing. The only problem was had no idea if I need to be in the pool? Or out? Or in the Jacuzzi? Or in the wonderful tub? Or sit on the dining table on the corner? Gosh I have never been this hyper and my wife and my brother with who I was traveling will agree.

Act 4 : Another Surprise, a Village Tour.

Ok, So we get another surprise and this time Mr. Aktar takes us for a Village tour, believe me I am ashamed to say this but being an Indian, have never visited a Village, and anyone who comes here please do it, the walk itself is wonderful, makes you go back in time, and the guide himself is a polite and wonderful lad. Don't forget the pottery place he takes you to, and do take some good images you see the greatest color of India come out.

Act 5 : The Care taking.

My brother, fell ill due to some reasons, but trust me considering this place is in the middle of no where, they did everything including preparing meals for him based on his condition, and right medications and to the point of sending him his breakfast in his room. Hotels will always take care of you, but this place did a little more than just take care, they acted like guardians.

Act 5 : Evening at the hotel & Spa

My wife had an appointment at the Spa, and I was led by Mr. Manish for some drinks at the bar, the man is amazing, you must meet him, down to earth, helpful, fun, humorous, intelligent, and he will offer you a free drink! :) Ok ok, but seriously, spent about 45 minutes with him while the Sun set, and he needs to have with us a Dinner next time, Thats pending!

While I was there, my wife and these are her words,''I, have never had a Masseuse this good in this world be it India or US, and Rose has changed her level of what a Spa is, she says next time she goes if Rose isn't there she refuses to even go. And a big Thank you to Rose for that.''

Act 7 : The Dinner.

This entire act can be best described as Shobhit's Night. Now let me tell you this, I have this crazy urge for good food, and I can find faults in the tiny errors, and when we were served the 'Pho' the first spoon itself made it the best I have had in this world, and I am comparing it to some crazy restaurants in New York, London & New Delhi. If you stay here, please email them to make it for you, if they do not add it to their menu, and maybe they can name it Shobhit's Pho? As a dedication to the man's hard work, and what was even more surprising is the fact that later when he asked how we liked it, is when he said this was the first time in his life he made it. Shocked we were, and then there was the Fish, and some crazy Chocolate Mousse which I ate until I had to open my first button. Thank you really, again this night / Dinner was yours, and the location itself is something one must try.

This is also where I met another Star in the hotel, Mr. Amit, a crazy good fun guy, if you do a private dinner, make sure he is hosting you, and he loves Tea, but he owes us Bun Tikki next time :). And a Big thanks to Prathavi again.

Act 8 : The Departure, The Sorrow and The Pain

Now as a normal human, tell me this, when you were pampered this well, taken care of so well, every staff attended with every possible manner, how do you depart? Worst is considering how good the room was I have no idea when I come back next how will I ever look at this same room from the balcony of another room, and should any of the staff be missing it will be like a missing piece of the jigsaw puzzle. I don't know how do I say this, but I am shivering to go back, god give me few days so I can eat everything that Mr. Shobhit can cook, and have a dinner with All the staff with me, I know that's dreaming a lot, but I think the people here can make it happen, and I will demand it next time!

Now coming back to some negative reviews, without doubting you or your expertise here's few pointers to anyone who is worried,

1. Food here is amazing, and esp. the quality, one may not like a certain taste but can't blame the hotel for it.

2. If you have some issue, just call Mr. Manish or some of the senior manager and believe me they will take care of it before your sentence ends.

3. This is a old palace, trust me housekeeping must be really difficult but still it's amazing what the team does, so if there is any minor setback, think of it as a challenge for the workers rather than whine here, I truly think the House keeping staff here should get a lot more credit, sad part is none of them we meet or speak to, but they should be given their due respect, they are some of the finest in the middle of no where.

4. Food here is NOT overpriced, come on even the best of things cost 20 USD, and that's really cheap for what they offer, really even a 20% hike in prices would still feel Value for Money, and if one has issues then it's a personal issue and I truly don't think it needs to be used as a negative.

5. Visit the place in all seasons, in fact we were worried when we went assuming half of the place will be non operational but it's a lot better now considering you have most staff attending you, really quit reading and book your holiday there, you won't forget it.

If anyone did read all the above, please accept a big thank you from me, and as an appreciation to the staff i'll just end with a big big big Thank You. And to the Management, Please add the Chicken / Seafood Pho to the Menu, it's needed and the Chocolate Mousse.

-----------------------

P.S Please forgive me if I missed any staff, or Spelt any names in correctly.

Room Tip: President Suite! :)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Marrakech, Morocco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed in this fabulous place in November. It was my 3rd trip to India, my 1st stay in Devi Garh and I wish I could go every year ! I am crazy about architecture, style, interiors, food and we enjoy kind, professional and non obtrusive service.
For me this place has it all... ( even though I did not have time to experience the spa... so there I can 't comment )
The location is very poetic and beautiful : the hills surrounding the village are just the perfect setting and the village below offers a very authentic share of Indian village life. It is far enough so one doesn 't have the feeling to be nosy, but it is close enough to enjoy the colors of saris drying in the breeze on the roof terraces below.
The building is a fabulous restoration : I can't imagine the time and labor it took to bring all materials up the hills, but the result is stunning. Minimalist, though Indian. Exquisite taste and authentic though very modern. Each room we saw left me speechless. The meeting rooms ?? I would love to work there every day ! They have kept some archeological elements of the original ruins and integrated it in this very contemporary but respectful architecture.
Our bedroom was simple and luxurious at the same time, which is the match I love.
The bathroom products were Indian, natural and excellent
The food was excellent
The service was kind and attentive
The reception and management were perfect, friendly, interested, knowledgeable
Devi Garh seems to me that it has opened a whole new chapter of Indian hospitality. There are a lot of heritage homes restored by their aristocratic owners, but it is also wonderful that people would buy ruins and turn them into a perfect blend of cultural heritage and contemporary architecture.
Regarding the location, I love the fact that it is out of town. Indian towns are vibrant, noisy, busy, fascinating but the true beauty for me is in the serenity of the country side. From Devi Garh the view is the one of beautiful and eternal India. I need to go with friends and our adult children next time !

Room Tip: as high as possible for the best views
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Firstly this is a stunning well thought out restoration and the detail is beautiful..it took nine years
To restore and the styling of the common areas is gorgeous as are the rooms..we were lucky enough to receive a tour of the suites and they are wow...all the rooms are beautiful..
Nestled high in the hills ,so the view is fantastic and it is very private..
The housekeeping was very good and the room attendant was friendly and efficient..even with
Language barriers all the staff I encountered tried really hard to make us feel comfortable..they
We're very accommodating with dietary requests and make a great cocktail..
We had horse and camel rides through the village this was great fun ,and the spa was excellent with the treatments very professional and the staff friendly and very well trained..
The front desk was the problem,wifi passwords had run out?? I asked on four different occasions
And eventually a female staff member helped me out and was perplexed as to why the male
Staff member made it almost impossible..I guess they didn't want to give me access to the so called free service...
So the hotel is well worth the effort..as the road from Udaipur is quite an adventure..they
Just need to smooth out the front desk..it's got attitude..why?? Maybe because celebreties
Use the hotel??

Room Tip: Ask for a suite that faces village..
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I split a week in the Udaipur area between Devi Garh and the Lake Palace -- and stayed at Devi Garh for the first 3 nights. My initial reaction was -- Wow! The place commands its own special presence and the entire reception experience, including rose petals, was fun.

I stayed in an Aravali Suite with 5 nice sized rooms (actually more than what I needed, as I was traveling alone). The most unique among these was a corner, hectagon-shaped, screened and domed viewing/reading room, which I actually spent a lot of time in soaking up a nice breeze and absolutely stunning views of the Aravali's -- Gorgeous, gorgeous mountain range!

The suite was largely white marble with brightly colored accents... contemporary... and, minimal (perhaps a bit too minimal). But, certainly, very comfortable.

The joy in this place is simply exploring. Semi-private nooks and crannies ooze its architectural past. Many serve as private dining areas in the evening (which I did not take advantage of).

I must say that I didn't find a whole lot to do beside reading. The pool area is lovely. I took advantage of it several times, but really wasn't geared up for the spa, though the facility looked nice. In retrospect, I probably should have ventured into the small town, only a short walk away.

The food? OK. A bit overpriced, as were the drinks, but these didn't sway my opinion much. (Breakfasts were particularly good.)

3 full days were enjoyable and sufficient.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Devi Garh by Lebua? Share your experiences!