“some good and some bad” 4 of 5 stars

The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Miller Lane, Angel Fire, NM 87710   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Angel Fire
Meade, KS
“some good and some bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

As others have mentioned, there isn't much to do in Angel Fire, so if you are not there to ski, go somewhere else. That said, the skiing was great, the mountain is small enough that you don't get lost, there are a lot of people out there working on the mountain and on the lifts, and it's cheaper than Colorado. We stayed in a condo rented by the resort. I would highly recommend this because it is more room for the same price. We ate at the Legends Grill and the service and food was excellent. Check in at the resort's front desk was not an enjoyable experience for us. The staff was polite but our condos were not ready for 45 minutes to an hour and a half after promised. They took our number and said they would call us, but that never happened. There was only one roll of toilet paper in the condo for our family of four's 3 night stay. When we asked for more they made us pay $ .75/roll. The condo we stayed in (Chalet 55) had a washer and dryer and its own personal wi-fi that was excellent. The short walk to the slopes and the hotel made it easy for us to get where we needed to be.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Joe K, General Manager at The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear ksteach,

I appreciate you taking the time to share you experience! I look forward to sharing your feedback with the venues you have mentioned. I hope that you will make another trip to the Angel Fire and stay with the with the Resort.

Joseph Kendall

181 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Reservation: as recommended by other tripadvisor users, we decided to book one of their renovated rooms on the Alpine wing but we found they have only one type of renovated room (two queen beds) listed on their website. So I had to call them to check the availability of a renovated king room and luckily they had one available and I reserved it over the phone. So if you can't find what you want on their website I would suggest to call them.

Check-in & staff: the check-in was relatively fast and the staff were very welcoming and friendly. the only complain here is that after check-in we were guided to the wrong elevator/wing and since the two wings of the building are isolated from each other it took us some time to find our room. The lobby is not very big but it was warm and well decorated for christmas. We especially liked the cozy fireplace area hiding behind the stairs.

Room: as mentioned above, we stayed in a renovated king room which was very spacious and fairly clean. Compared to the size of the room, the bathroom was small but it was very clean. Even though our room was right next to the elevators, there never was any noise. The wifi was super slow and was only good for checking emails. But overall, we were satisfied by our room.

Dining: dining options are very limited at Angel Fire and that's our biggest complain. We tried both restaurants in the lodge; they had limited food options (especially if you want healthy choices) and the food items we tried were extremely greasy! However, we liked the breakfast at the lobby Coffee House. They offer a variety of choices including fresh fruit salads, bagels, egg & sausage, etc.

Ski facilities: the lodge is conveniently located next to the lifts, ski rental shops, and ski school so you can easily put on your ski boots in the room and walk to the ski area. My wife and I both took ski lessons for beginners-- on two different days. My wife was very happy with her trainer and since there were only three people in her session/group she got a lot of one on one tutoring. I on the other hand, wasn't very happy with my class because my session was crowded and as a result the training went really slowly.
In general, there is a great variety of green and blue ski trails to choose from at Angel Fire, so if you're a beginner this is a good choice for you.

Room Tip: Get one of their renovated rooms on the Alpine wing.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Joe K, General Manager at The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Babak F,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve and appreciate constructive feedback, which helps us achieve our goals.

I do hope that you come back and visit us again, soon!

Las Cruces, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Those in my family who ski thought the skiing was very good, even though it was early in the season. They specifically commented that the staff were extremely friendly. I also had a nordic ski lesson at the Country Club associated with the resort and the teacher and the experience were excellent. That said, there are a number of drawbacks:

1. It costs $5 to stow your ski stuff or to rent a locker while skiing. This is much more expensive than other places in NM.

2. The Angel Fire lodge's fitness room is disgusting. It's cramped, hot, dirty, and has old, broken equipment. It reminded me of a public high school weight room in a poor school district.

3. The indoor pool is located in a freezing-cold breezeway, with the hot tub located up a flight of stairs from the pool. While we were using the pool, some security guard interrogated us about whether we were guests at the Lodge.

4. The condo that we rented through the Lodge front desk was adequate except for the promised wi-fi, which was off more than it was on.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Joe K, General Manager at The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear LC1968 ,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with Angel Fire Resort. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Angel Fire Resort strives to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We went skiing for 3 days and enjoyed everyday day. Everyone was cheerful, and the food and the room was great. The pool and jacuzzi were a welcome end to each day. We parked the car on day one and never used it for 4 days. We will be back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Joe K, General Manager at The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Dear kerry k k,

Thank you very much for taking time to write this review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your experience. Your patronage is much appreciated and I am happy to hear that you will be returning.

Warm Regards,
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Have you ever wanted to take a ski trip, but thought to yourself, "I don't want to relax on this trip. I want to feel like the elevator is right in my room so I can hear people coming and going, especially the kiddie squeals." If so, then definitely stay here.

We have been here several times and knew not to expect anything fancy. But it never occurred to me to ask if there was a door that led directly from my bedroom to the elevator waiting area. You could hear the dinging, even from other floors. That is just a deal breaker. I wouldn't stay in that room again for free. And since they won't guarantee a room, if you stay in a family suite, you might get it. The worst part is, I don't ski, so I planned to stay in the room, read and relax. Yeah, right.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Joe K, General Manager at The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear blissful_in_Tx_10,

At Angel Fire Resort, we strive to provide a positive guest experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is important to us. Because of guest feedback, so many things have changed since January 2013, including discussing specific rooms with guests.

Happy and Safe Travels,
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Luckily we got a good price for a last minute night away or I would have been really disappointed. The rooms, in the un-remodeled section, were dark and even my teenager commented on how dirty the carpets looked. The fireplace was seriously electric with fake fire noise and red light and we just took it as quirky fun. The rooms were big and cleanish (note the carpet stains). I was somewhat expecting the state of the hotel based on the reviews I had read.
My only complaint is that when booking I asked for adjoining rooms and was told they shared an outside entrance door so we could leave the room doors open. This is not true. The did share an entrance door, BUT YOU CAN'T LOCK IT! It is just a door to the hallway that anyone could walk in. Beware of this if you plan to have two rooms so your kids can have their own space. You will not be able to have the doors open to hear them because then you are totally open to someone coming in.

Room Tip: Make sure you get the remodeled section! Don't believe rooms are adjoining as the hallway acces...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Joe K, General Manager at The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear ZamLat:

I do hope that you come back and visit us again, soon!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Angel Fire is a beautiful mountain town and a great get-away. However, the "RESORT" is unlike any other I have been to..... It needs a vast improvement. 1) There is no spa services offered by the "RESORT", which as a frequent traveler I found very odd! Get with the program!!! Ladies like to be pampered while on vacation and will pay unbelievable prices to accomplish that goal! 2) Housekeeping completely skipped our room for daily service.... SERIOUSLY! 3) Check in takes too long, I should not have to wait until after 5PM to have a clean room..... hire some people to get the job done! 4) Your front desk "manager" Shauna needs to spit the gum out and not talk to people like they are dumb. I want to talk to someone who genuinely cares about my stay, NOT someone who is obviously over fake and is just trying to get you out of their way. There is nothing worse that having an employee be sarcastically nice and have a fake high pitched voice while not actually helping. 5) The décor, floors and inside of the building in general needs to be updated, very old feeling and I did not feel like I was in a "RESORT" room.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear DonClarkTX:

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review regarding your recent visit with The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort. I sincerely apologize that we were not able to make your visit with us an exceptional one. We take all of the comments we receive from our guests seriously and use them as a learning tool in order for us to find new ways to improve the overall product and service delivery we provide to our guests. I would be happy to speak with you further regarding your visit, please contact me directly at your earliest convenience.

575-377-4253

Been to The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort? Share your experiences!