“Quality.. meh. Price, great!” 4 of 5 stars

You added The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort to your Saves list
The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Miller Lane, Angel Fire, NM 87710   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Angel Fire
“Quality.. meh. Price, great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were floored when we heard our 4 day ski in ski out vacay was only going to cost $350 for the two of us and included our lift tickets! You really can't beat the price. It is definitely what I would consider a budget ski trip though. The rooms have everything you need, but the comforts of some of the larger Colorado ski resorts are lacking.
We stayed in a 2 bedroom condo with another couple. Our room had a hideaway bed (you pull the bed out down off a wall). It wasn't the most comfortable sleeping arrangement on the planet, but it served it's purpose. The room had a miniature oven and range that smoked up the whole hallway when we tried to cook in it. The room has a "faux fireplace" that you can't use for whatever reason. They have dressers chained in front of them. Carpets are old and lighting was so dim I couldn't do my morning readings.
On a positive note, it is ski in ski out, so you are literally staying ON the mountain. The rental place, plus a couple restaurants are right there on sight, so convenience is there. The restaurants aren't anything to write home about and pretty pricey considering the quality.

All in all I probably won't go back to Angel Fire. I have been spoiled though with Winter Park, Breckenridge and other large Colorado resorts. As far as the skiing, I was disappointed that they advertise night skiing, but it's only on Friday and Saturdays. We went during the week so we only got half days. There are really only 2 lifts and I can count all the green runs on one hand. The blue runs were more like blacks with all the rocks and moguls. Again, there were positives.. No lift lines and friendly staff.

TO SUM IT UP:
If you're looking for a BUDGET trip, go for it. Or if you've never been skiing, you won't know the difference. My husband had a blast and can't wait to go back, but he had never been. If you've been to any of the large Colorado resorts, set expectations low. :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Joe K, General Manager at The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve and appreciate constructive feedback, which helps us achieve our goals.

I do hope that you come back and visit us again, soon!

Joe Kendall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I took my family (me, wife, and two boys ages 5 and 6 1/2) over New Years from December 31st through January 4th. The room was a double queen in the non-renovated section. It was large, comfortable, with a good view of the slopes. The water was always hot and room service was prompt (considering how busy they were). The noise level was something I didn't expect, especially on New Years Eve, the doors are very loud and you can hear almost everything going on in the other room. Overall I thought the staff was very friendly, especially the front desk (Ellie with designer glasses). The dining options in the resort are not good (during our stay); with the exception of the breakfast cafe - which serves delicious coffee and cinnamon rolls the size of hubcaps. My suggestion, skip lunch and head into town for dinner (Angel Fired Pizza and Zebs). One other comment - if you have small children and plan to put them in ski school MAKE RESERVATIONS IN ADVANCE. We were told there was availablity, then denied when we got there. A suggestion would be to remind guests of this when they book their room reservation and maybe send a mailer (or two). I know its on the website, but in small print and easy to overlook.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Joe K, General Manager at The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I look forward to sharing your feedback with the departments you have mentioned. We are always looking at ways to improve the process and communication and you have offered a possibly solution to assist with the communication. Thank you!

I hope that you will make another trip to Angel Fire and stay with us here in the Lodge.

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

The resort I thought was great itself, but there are some negatives. Lets start with the positives. First, I would have to start by saying your sleeping right next to the lifts, and ski shop. This in itself does wonders for me since you don't have to carry your rental equipment very far or travel to get to the lift. I thought the rooms were top notch, great beds, and showers both were hot and had excellent pressure. We had two rooms, which were conjoined pretty cool where we could see each other easily. So now for the negative, which is really only one thing, the food. There really was not any good places to eat around the entire city or in the actual resort itself (Legends). None of the food really was good at all, which was unfortunate for the price your paying to stay there. Great place to sleep, just expect mediocrity for food. No free breakfast here, FYI.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share you feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve and appreciate constructive feedback, which helps us achieve our goals. I will make sure and share your feedback with our Food and Beverage Manager

I do hope that you come back and visit us again, soon!

Castroville, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Awesome resort didnt have to wait in long lines for any of the lifts and the room was awesome. Clean and always nice and warm and the price was good. Only downside was the price of the food at the resort. Also didnt like how i couldnt get a refund for the lift ticket since they had to close them down for the day cause of wind but i guess other places might do the same. Overall an amazing trip and i will be back next year.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback! It is great to read that you had an Amazing Trip and that you will be returning.

Happy and Safe Travels,
Durant, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This was my first time to come here and man it was so much better than I expected. We got lucky with a big snow storm bringing about 6-7 fresh inches te day before we got there. So they only had about 20 runs open. But the trails were some of the best I have been on. The lifts had super short lines and the employees were all very welcoming. There just isn't much to do outside of skiing/snowboarding. Limited places to eat and hang out. Little grocery store is very nice and close. Prices were exceptional if the full mountain had been open. Should have been a discount since less than half the mountain was open.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback! It sounds like you had an enjoyable visit, which I hope translates into you returning in the future.

Happy Travels!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We took 5 kids ranging from 11 months to 13 years and 5 adults to Angel Fire. We stayed in one of the condos closer to the bottom of the mountain. The condo was quiet and fully furnished with all the necessities. The only complaint is it got very cold in the living room
At night (but to be expected with a wall of windows and the temp dropping to -30 at night). The ski school was full and we had to pay for private one hour lessons for everyone who skiied. This did NOT include lift tickets for the day like regular ski school would...and of course regular ski school was less expensive. Private lesson=waste of money. The kids were not even shown how to use ski lift. The snow on the mountain was great...little to no ice. Food at the Village Haus was crazy expensive ($5 for a piece of pizza), but you will happily pay for the convenience. Mountain and ski shops laid out well...not a far walk anywhere. There are even shuttles if need be. If you stay in a condo, be sure to stock up before getting there as the one small grocer is proud of their stuff. Tubing was fun ($25 for hour and a half but they limit groups, so call early).
Kids had a ball, and that is what matters in the end

• Stayed January 2013
Joe K, General Manager at The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on the different venues. While I am not familiar with the specifics of the lesson you and your family took, I am going to share you feedback with our Director of Ski School. We do have many lodging opportunities here in the Angel Fire Resort area and I am happy that you enjoyed the unit booked for you. The couple of days that we had the -30 degree temperatures made it difficult to keep anything warm. Looks like we are in for another couple nights of -15. brrrr.
Again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and I do hope that you return to Angel Fire Resort again in the near future.
El Paso, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Took my daughter snowboarding here and the staff was very nice, prices better than Colorado, and not overpacked. To little parking though. They have a shuttle but there is really only two shuttle stops.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Joe K, General Manager at The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Sorry for my delay in responding to you.
Thank you for making time to share you thoughts about Angel Fire Resort. I look forward to sharing your feedback with our mountain operations team.

Happy and Safe travels!

Joe

Been to The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort? Share your experiences!