“Good value for the price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Devi Bhawan

You added Devi Bhawan to your Saves list
Devi Bhawan
Ratanada Circle,Defance laboratory Road, | Ratanada Area, Jodhpur 342006, India   |
Ranked #6 of 91 Hotels in Jodhpur
Kiev, Ukraine
“Good value for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2008

My family stayed here for one night in early January. This is a small hotel with about 10 rooms or less. I would rate this a 2 or 3 star level on international standards. We were received in a friendly and efficient manner. Laid back atmosphere, but they do their job. Rooms were clean, but furnished with furniture of only standard quality that was not new. Showers in room were basic. Breakfast was included and was OK (but instant coffee only!)

The location of the hotel is not that great. Once leaving a main road, you have to travel about 100 meters down an unpaved dirt road before you reach the hotel. The pool looks nice, but there is ongoing construction in streets beyond the walls enclosing the hotel, so the air was pretty dusty which detracted from the pool area. There is quite a bit of street noise that penetrates the hotel grounds area starting around 6am.

For the price of $35-40 a night per room, I think you can call this a relative good value compared to a 5 star hotel like the Taj in Jodhpur that goes for about 7 to 8 times more per night.

I would have preferred nicer rooms and be willing to pay more for them but I'm not sure you can get much better than the Dewi Bhawan in this approximate price range.

• Liked — Relative price value
  • Disliked — High end budget hotel-not luxury category
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
chennai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2008

i booked the hotel rooms on the website and they booked and confirmed my rooms and sent me the confrimation.i had booked 2 semideluxe rooms, as i was travelling with my wife and parents and the rooms were very comfortable,clean and the staff of the hotel was very helpful.the manager arranges us all the train tickets we want,car for local sight seeing and every thing was perfect.the hotel has got a big garden very relaxing and the staff was very attentive.me and my parents liked it very much we stayed there for 3 nights.

• Liked — staff and front desk
  • Disliked — limited food options
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Jose, CA, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2008

This place looks pretty good in wide angle photos and at first glance. But when I settled into my room I found that a fair bit of filth lurked in the corners. Devil is in the details.

Marble floor clearly had not been swept or cleaned and my feet were dirty after 10 minutes. Towels in bathroom were stained and one appeared to have fresh greasy stains. I asked for a new towel and got another dingy and stained, though presumably laundered, replacement. Lampshades were beat up and filthy, windows were smudgy and decrepit, cobwebs in some corners, telephone filthy, very little TP in bathroom. many fixtures loose to the point of falling off the wall, doors and windows don't latch properly, bedside table had sticky stains which I easily removed, ants in bathroom. I looked at another room and it was in a similar state.

I booked 3 nights but bolted after 1 night. Owner was nice guy. Had a couple of nice meals served in their patio area. This was a definitely plus. Location is crappy if you ask me. Down a bleak dirt road with nothing of interest around. I stayed next two nights right in the middle of old town and was much much happier.

I feel bad slamming this place but the pictures tell the story. This place could be a winner with a moderate renovation and some focused cleaning. I am far from a hotel snob and I realize this place is damn cheap. But regardless of price, there are three things I can't put up with - filth, excessive noise or lack of security.

Stayed December 2007
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2008

Of all the places I stayed at in Rajasthan, this was the one place where the Trip Advisor reviews didn't really match the experience.

The hotel manager is really lovely. Nothing is too much trouble. He booked us a table at the Fort Terrace restaurant for dinner and advised us on our travel arrangements. Just a proper good guy.

The rooms are big with comfortable beds. We had a deluxe room, which was about £20 a night. For the money, I suppose it was good value. But the room was definitely little bit tired (not rustic, as some people have written). I'd say that about the hotel in general. Loads of potential, as the location does mean it's a nice break from the hecticness of the city. And it is set in nice gardens. With just a bit of TLC, it could be really lovely.

All the above is all very subjective. And as it was the cheapest place we stayed at, I might be judging the standard of the rooms unfairly. But I did have one big issue, and I can't believe no-one has mentioned this in other reviews - the hotel is right under the flight path in/out of Jodhpur airport!! At certain times of the day, it's deafeningly loud, to the point where you can't carry on a conversation. Having said this, there didn't seem to be flights very late at night, or early in the morning, so it didn't interrupt our sleep. But it was still a pretty main feature of the place!

• Liked — The size of the rooms
  • Disliked — The location - under the flight-path
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2008

This was a great place to stay in Jodhpur. The service was excellent and we felt a warm welcome the moment we arrived. The staff was very attentive to our needs and did whatever it took to ensure we had a positive experience. The grounds are pleasant, the pool is nice, and the the food was excellent.

• Liked — NIce, clearn, good food and service
  • Disliked — NA
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Canberra
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2007

This is a small hotel located a few kilometers away from Jodhpur centre. This was not an issue for us as we had a car with driver, but if you have to negotiate trips with rickshaw drivers it may be a bit cumbersome. The overall complex was a peaceful retreat, however, our standard double room with air-con was rather dark and gloomy and could certainly do with upgrading. There was hotwater when you turned on the geyser but the electrical wiring was a bit scary.

The staff really made this hotel, there was no requirement to tip constantly so that was great and all our requests were efficently looked after. Breakfast was great, just order what you want (included in our rate) and dinner was quite acceptable also.

I have heard that the suites are better and perhaps to be fair we should have spent more money and upgraded, however the hotel was full at the time we were there. We spend 3 nights at Devi Bhawan.

• Liked — Peaceful
  • Disliked — Room needed upgrading and electrical wiring was a concern.
  • Stayed November 2007
Cornwall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2007

The Devi Bhawan provides excellent value for money in Jodhpur. The rooms are plain but comfortable and the gardens and pool are beautifully relaxing after a hard day's sightseeing. The choice of food is limited but it is very tastey and the meal hours were flexible to cope with an early evening departure. It is a little outside the centre, so you need to use an autorickshaw to get around, but these are cheap and there is always one outside. I would recomment this hotel.

• Liked — The gardens and pool
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Devi Bhawan? Share your experiences!