The hotel, still the home of the current maharaja, was a high standard as would be expected from a hotel of is standard. The building overall is impressive and it is worthwhile just wandering around exploring the rooms and outside grounds, including the vintage care collection and museum.
The 'Pillars' restaurant, where we dined on both nights of our stay, was very good - Mediterranean fare one night, indian the next. Both excellent. Pre-dinner cocktails on the roof is worth doing to see the view of the city dominated by the fort, and for keen photographers to capture the sunset.
The only negative comment I would make is charging for Internet use, which is increasingly against the trend. There's little excuse these days for charging for what is now a day-to-day essential service.
Above all else, the service was first class, the best experienced in our travels across the globe. There is little doubt that India has superlative service off to a tee, which is partly down to the attitude of the people - positive, willing to help, and infinitely pleasant.
Was this the best hotel we stayed on our 'mini-grand tour' of India? We think it probably was and in terms of dining both this and the Taj Palace in Delhi are probably equal first.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of the largest royal residences in the world, the golden-yellow sandstone Umaid Bhawan Palace is a monument to Jodhpur’s gallantry and romance. Guests get a taste of what it was like to live like kings. From rooms once occupied by the Maharaja. From regal pastimes like polo or croquet. From magnificent views of the palace gardens and the spectacular Mehrangarh Fort. From unique themed dinners that flaunt all the pomp-and-splendour of the desert kingdom. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Odigeo, EasyToBook, Hotel.de, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodhpur reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodhpur Hotel Jodhpur
- Jodhpur Umaid Bhawan Palace