“A wonderful and inpiring retreat” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #68 of 188 Restaurants in Jodhpur
Cuisines: Italian, Indian, Continental
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The décor features a sunny travel feel, with chic cabanas and landscaped gardens. The Terrace is open everyday for dinners as well as lunches (winter only) and can also be booked for banquets. Bijolai’s interior attempts to reflect the encounter between the traditional and the contemporary. Consequently, the restaurant is characterized by simplicity with its crisp, clean and uncluttered lines that reflect the 1559 AD spirit and atmosphere. The ambience at Bijolai presents a harmonious balance between the classic and the modern, between the known and the wild.
Liverpool
“A wonderful and inpiring retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

I came to the Water Habitat Retreat and part of a educational camp to learn more about the impacts of climate change in the desert region of Rajasthan and water harvesting. Here we met with the people of the Jal Bhagirathi Foundation, who do inspiring work on water security and enabling communities to revive tradition sustainable water harvesting. We were able to see how the water habitat retreat is a real oasis and testament to integrity of traditional water harvesting by exploring the structure of the hotel itself. We were then able to experience a taste of the truly majestic Marwar desert and understand the important work JBF do by meeting communities they work with - this was a colourful, cultural exchange that was a really meaningful from an educational perspective (seeing how water is central to livelihood) but also a traveller's perspective. Back to the water habitat retreat, we found the hospitality was outstanding. We were welcome straight away and felt so well looked after throughout our weeks stay. There was away a friendly "good morning" and "can I get you anything", The rooms were clean and fresh and soon become homely. The food buffets were delicious (I miss Indian food so much) with the combination self-service buffet and more formal waiter service, I felt like we were really getting royal treatment. The atmosphere and setting was idyllic, I think pictures of the retreat speak better than words here. The hospitality team were professional and friendly and accommodated us as a group of young people (and the other guests we met on the programme) in such a embracing way, from hosting romantic rooftop meals to allowing us to throw a couple of parties in celebration of a birthday and new friends we had made, and a cultural evening at the end of the programme was amazing, with the tradition Rajasthan folk music. It is hard to find words to describe how wonderful my trip to water habitat retreat was and how inspiring our interactions with the people there were, which left me feeling overwhelmed and very fortunate to have experienced such an oasis. Well it was definitely real, as I have pictures to prove and definably worth a visit experience what life is like in the desert and learn about the amazing work of JBF, all from the wonderful water retreat. Thanks to our hosts - Kanupriya Harish of JBF and Arjun and team for your warm hospitality and a life changing experience.

• Visited February 2012

New Delhi
“Excellent escape from city madness”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Beautiful restaurant, artfully decorated. Was featured in a recent photoshoot of Vogue India so my daughter took an instant liking. The food was quite good, with some room for becoming superlative, and service was excellent. If only they could provide nice glitzy uniforms to the staff, it would do wonders to the ambience. Used my GPS to reach the place as its tucked up in a remote corner in the middle of nowhere. Beautiful place though and wanted to stay over the night and prolong the experience but was our last day in Jodhpur so had to go. Overall very good outing for any occasion.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Delhi, India
“THE place to escape from your mad city life! For a calm, relaxing yet luxurious get-away :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

I visited Water Habitat Retreat this February as part of British Council’s 4th International Climate Champion Camp. And there i discovered Bijolai :) An experience that i would never forget....
We arrived to the picturesque location in Jodhpur, and were amazed at the peace and silence that surrounded us immediately as we entered.
The mad noises of my previous city life were momentarily forgotten for the week long stay.
The Water Habitat Retreat was originally a summer retreat built by Maharaja Takhat Singh [1819-1873]. It was transformed into a beautiful heritage hotel in 2008. The hotel is an excellent example of how sustainability and luxury could go hand in hand. As part of our camp’s agenda- we learnt about the traditional water harvesting structures of Marwar region that are being revived by Jal Bhagirathi Foundation (housed as the Water Resource Centre in the Retreat). They have infact revived one such structure within the Retreat to make them self sufficient in terms of water consumption.

The light breeze and the comfortable outdoor sitting areas were perfect combinations to unwind and soak in the beauty of the place. Our rooms were comfortable and as beautiful as the surreal surroundings. Room service was excellent.

Coming to my favourite part- food! :D What can i say more than : "I MISS IT BADLY!" 8 days of breakfast, lunch and dinner buffet. Served with excellent hospitality and utmost love and care. We were treated no less than royal bloods :p . The multi cuisine restaurant houses the finest chefs it seems, with one dish better than the next one!
Right from soup and starters to the main course 6 dish (or more) buffet till the sweet dessert time, we were in absolute BLISS.
The hospitality shown by the staff was heartening. I still remember the last dinner at Bijolai, where we dreaded our return to our respective homes with no one to serve us our soups and fill and re-fill our glasses :(

I really look forward to coming back again and have not stopped recommending the place, ever since my return. I still go through the pictures each day to cherish those memories. Bijolai gets a 5 on 5 from me.
Go there with your loved one for a romantic get-away or take your bunch of ‘city’ friends to show them the alien wonders of peace, beauty and sheer lazyness! Also, to add a hint of Royalty in your life :)

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“A peaceful oasis in the Rajasthani desert.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

The management and staff were extremely friendly and attentive. I was there with a group that stayed for two weeks and they were very responsive to our needs and preferences . I highly reccomend a stop at the Water Habitat Retreat to dine and or spend the night.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great food! Great service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

I got to experience several meals at Bijolai over a 2 week period and was never disappointed! The food was excellent and the variety was impressive. I always looked forward to tasting what was prepared for us. The restaurant staff worked diligently to ensure that our meals were always enjoyable. Try Bijolai and you will as impressed with the service and food as much as I was!

• Visited November 2011