“An amazing retreat from the chaos of Indian cities” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   VPO Chandelao, Jodhpur 342027, India   |
Ranked #4 of 93 Hotels in Jodhpur
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Houston, Texas
“An amazing retreat from the chaos of Indian cities”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed here for two nights in September 2012. It was a really nice break from the chaos of Indian cities. I really appreciated Pradhuman's hospitality. He really made me feel welcome. The food was fantastic as was the value.

I highly suggest a brief respite at Chandelao Garh for any travelers tired of the noisy streets of India or being hassled to buy junk they don't want.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I can only partially agree with the other reviews given for Chandelao Garh. We have stayed two nights in Chandelao. The estate is impressive and it's certainly a peaceful escape from the hustle and bustle of the pulsating Indian cities. It was already stated that Chandelao is around 40 kms from Jodhpur and I just want to add for all those who are not so familiar with the Indian traffic and road conditions, that this equals to 45-60 mins drive. Please also try to arrive during daytime, we arrived in the dark and even for our experienced driver it was hard to find.
Having said all that, this was known to us before we decided for Chandelao Garh.

The reason for saying it could be managed better is a different one. Especially the bathrooms could be maintained better and could be kept cleaner. In our case we had a thin layer of black fungus spread over the bathroom tiles and the toilet was not 100% clean. The water jet in the shower was also not really good and the towels were pretty old.
Also, our room was not cleaned from one day to the next, which I can say from the fact that a rather big insect, that I had killed on the first evening was lying there until we left.

While I accept that you have to compromise a bit on the countryside, I believe the above could be easily fixed.

Additionally I have to say that unfortunately the food was also not really impressive. We had much much better food elsewhere during our India trip.

The main reason for the 2-star rating however is the indiscreetness of the so called "manager" of the place. I don't want to go into detail but the questions, that he asked my fiancé, are none of his business and very unprofessional.

Maybe we were just there at the wrong time and a bit unfortunate. The estate as such is very nice, it has a lot of antique furniture. If you are there, don't miss a stroll through the small village of Chandelao.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
pradumanchandelao, Owner at Chandelao Garh, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our
hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could
have been.

I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team for your stay.
Thankyou for liking Chandelao village.We have now started to work on providing green energy(solar) for the village household and are having sessions in the village school
on recycling the plastic waste.

We have looked into the cleanliness of the rooms and will now pay more attention to it.
also the manager and the staff has been briefed on way to behave with the guests.
Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope that
the remainder of your travel to rajasthan was very good.
if you travel to rajasthan again please feel free to contact me.
regards

Praduman
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I have read the many positive reviews about this place, this was the primary reason for our staying their for 2 nights at the end of our 4 week Rajasthan trip. Let me confirm all the positive things are true. I don't need to reendorse the facilities, the rooms or the location, but I would like to comment about the service. Things were pretty quiet when we were there, early monsoon, and unfortunately we didn't get to experience the rooftop dinners, or buffet dinners. What we did get was meals prepared by Sajjan, (please let me have spelt that correctly), who is Pradumans mum, and the company of both when we were dining. Again I endorse the many positive things said about the willingness to embrace the tourist as part of the home, but I have to say that we have been to India a number of times now to many different regions and never, repeat never, have we had better food. Sajjan told us that it was her mother in law her that taught her all those years ago and she must have had the magic touch. Make the journey from Jodhpur for the food alone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Alsager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Chandelau Garh certainly lived up to the excellent reviews we'd read. We were picked up as arranged at Jodhpur stations at 10 p.m. and enjoyed a very interesting journey to the village in the dark. On arrival, at about 11 p.m., we were welcomed by Praduman, the owner, and some of the other guests, who were sitting round an open fire, and immediately offered a drink and a meal. A great start, and things only got better. Great rooms, beautifully appointed, really nice meals taken in the open air dining room, attentive, friendly staff, and an unspoiled, uncommercial village to explore with really friendly locals, especially the children. Praduman will organise interesting trips into the desert, and you can watch the sun go down from the roof. If you like hustle and bustle,noise and crowds you'd better go somewhere else, but for chilling, it's perfect!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
agra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Chandelaogarh is situated around 40 kms away from Jodhpur towards Ajmer. I stayed there with family for one night. I was driving in the late evening and couldn't easily locate it. In fact there are no signs or board near the place. It is a old haveli converted into a heritage hotel. The owner Mr Singh personally supervises everything. The rooms take you to life some 200 years back. Overall it was a great stay with a different kind of experience and quite economical also compared to what you might pay in Jodhpur.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

we stayed here for 4 nights, it was an experience I will never forget, Mr Singh was a wonderful host. The staff were really friendly and couldn't do enough for you, Mr Singh even took us in the jeep to visit a nearby village and let us experience it first hand.
The accommodation is first rate and the village children are a delight.
The roof top restaurant was splendid,
We would certainly stay here again if we visited again as it is far away from the busy bustle of Jodhpur and a lovely place.

Room Tip: All rooms are in the former stables and are very spacious and comfortable.