The Gateway Rawalkot is a breathtakingly beautiful hotel. Built with the typical yellow Jaisalmer stone,it actually looks like a heritage hotel. The courtyard is filled with trees and flowering shrubs,almost like a mirage in the desert. The best part of the hotel is its open terrace ,that overlooks Jaisalmer town and the fort. Undoubtedly one of the best properties to stay in Jaisalmer.
We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. The rooms were cozy and clean.
The reception staff was very courteous and helpful. They arranged sightseeing tours for us ,to the town, nearby places and the sand dunes at reasonable rates.They also helped to call for rickshaws to get to the town.
However, since I have stayed at other Taj hotels , it felt that this hotel needs improvement to match up with the standards set by TAj. 3 examples from our experience that speak for themselves..
1) We were booked under an offer ,whereby 2 meals and 3rd night stay was complimentary. But the reception staff seemed to be quite confused. They actually asked me if I was going to pay for 3rd day on day 3.
2) When we checked in, the reception staff had actually recommended that we enjoy our evening cup of tea at the terrace. However ,on contacting the restaurant ,the restaurant manager declined to serve on the terrace. A little wierd..isnt it ?
Surprisingly,the next day,I saw a group of people being served tea on the terrace.... now that did put us off..
3) On the same evening,We were snacking at the poolside. Even before we finished the snacks, the waiter got the bill. " I got the bill because my shift is getting over",this was his statement that left me wide eyed. Now now.... last time I heard such a statement was in my college canteen.
Except for these few wierd incidents ,our overall stay was pleasant.
Tips for the traveller:
1) Taxi fares displayed by the hotel for Jodhpur drop are almost double than that offered by local operators. Book your taxi from reliable travel agenies ,many of them can be found in the Jaisalmer market area.
2) For local Jaisalmer sightseeing , call for a rickshaw that a standard AC car. Its much more fun.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
It was indeed a pleasure having you at The Gateway Hotel Rawalkot, Jaisalmer. We thank you for your kind comments and encouraging feedback, comments & feedback such as these always encourages us in enhancing our efforts to provide the best in hospitality & services. We have noted down your concerns regarding few points which you had mentioned and have taken necessary measures so that same is not repeated in future with other guest's.
We look forward to welcoming you again.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.