“Bargain rooms, but beware the expensive camel safari!” 4 of 5 stars

Deep Mahal Haveli
near Sun Temple on fort, Vyasa Fara, Jaisalmer 345001, India   |
Ranked #67 of 118 Jaisalmer B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“Bargain rooms, but beware the expensive camel safari!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

The rooms here are really really amazing value for money. The hotel shares it's walls with a Jain temple (?can't be good for conservation) which gives the place a lot of character. Our room was adequately sized with stained glass windows, sandstone walls, painted ceiling, wooden bed and had a clean bathroom with a great hot water shower...all for Rs300/night. Staff members are genuinely friendly and the rooftop area is nice.

Joni will try his hardest to get you on the camel safari offered through the hotel, and he is a good salesperson! Their safari costs around 3 times more than others offered in Jaisalmer, so make sure you shop around and don't be pushed into anything! Having said that though, my husband and I went on Deep Mahal's safari and we absolutely loved it - tasty plentiful food, an excellent English speaking guide named Matar, just him and us in the desert with hardly another tourist in sight...awesome. But maybe this is the case with cheaper safaris too...I don't know...just do your research!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Polish first
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

hotel deep mahal in jaisalmer such a good great house. It was a big surprise for us to find so kind people. The deep mahal is really great and we spent here 4 fantastic days. Thank you for such a lovely clean atmosphic room with gracious hospitality and for a wonderful place with great memory of travel..most clean hotel we visit in india....
The roof terrace is fantastic and the people here have been great and friendly . I can only recommended to every one else. They arrange for us such a great camel safari. Really it was great trip to locall people no tourist,great food and great arrangement. every one love it.

COSY TEMPLE ROOM WE FIND SO FANTASTIC.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Tarragona, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

I picked a rickshaw at the station to my booked hotel, but I ended up on a motorbike to this hotel and offered me a room, telling me the hotel I booked was from the "same owner". The guy was called jonhny and is defenetly someone you can trust.

However, the room they offered me was really one of the best and for a budget price (300 rs), THe trick was afterwards were he tried to sell me several camel/motorbike safari around jaisalmer. I said no and he was a bit angry for that...

Also, the day I left , they were supposed to pick me up in town with a rickshaw but let me down.

I told him that it was really a pitty they were behaving like that, cause it was a nice hotel to stay, so they would cheat people like that...He listened and somehow seemed to be ashemed for that. Hope it changes for the sake of their business...

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

i have been in jaisalmer many time and always i stay outside the fort but this time i was staying in a deep mahal hotel in the fort its a small nice clean and quite guest house with a beautifull view to the gourges jain temple. rooms are very clean, good. camel safari organised by mr. yogi was realy wonderfull he is realy help full manager. i realy recomended this place.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

Staying at the hotel Deep Mahal was an amazing experience. It is in an old haveli right inside the fort. I know Lonly planet says not to stay in the fort, but they have no clue what they are talking about, as over 5,000 locals live in it and a new drainage system has been enacted and besides from that it is the most beautiful place to stay in Jaisalmer. The small winding streets inside the fort are beautiful and romantic.
Hotel Deep Mahal only has a few rooms, but the rooms are magnificently decorated, spacious and have balconies overlooking the charming street. It is a great value too. The rooms feel like the room of a king or queen decorated with traditional Rajistan furniture, etc.
There is a great rooftop restaurant also and the staff/owners main concern is pleasing there guest. They are very kind and extremely helpful. For example, I sent a parcel out of Jaisalmer via the gov. post office , but realized 2 weeks later, when in Mumbai, that I was not given the receipt with my tracking number. I called Yogi, the hotel owner, and he personally went to the post office and got my tracking number for me. I told him I would pay him, but he refused to let me send him anything. Little things like this are what make a hotel truly stand out for me.
Lastly, the hotel offers excellent camel safaris. They are a little more expensive than competing agency's, but it is worth it as the trek was amazing, and completely non-touristic. I would definitely recommend the camel treks with "Hotel Deep Mahal". Unlike some hotels, which just act as a middle man and send you to another agency, the Hotel Deep Mahal provides there own treks, as the owner, Yogi has like over 20 camels.

Great Hotel. Great Value. Great Service, Great Treks. Go see for your self and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

One of the workers picked us up from the train station pretending to be from the hotel we wanted to go to and instead took us to Deep Mahal. Bad start. But the place is pretty so we decided we could stay. Johnny, one of the workers, sold us on a very expensive camel safari. We didn't know the average price at the time, but afterwards we found out that we paid about 3 times as much as a typical safari. Stupid of us for not checking around for prices, but it was still pretty vile of them. The WORST part of the experience was that Johnny helped us set up our long bus ride the next day. He told us it would be an 8 hour trip, and we made him call the bus company back to double check the time so that we didn't miss our engagement in the next city. The bus ride ended up being 14 HOURS. Johnny had lied to us in order to ensure that we bought overnight safari. We were furious. The management has no qualms lying and being deceptive in any capacity to make a few dollars. There are so many other better and more honest hotels in Jaisalmer, please take your business elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Bangalore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

I was a lone traveler visiting multiple destinations in north India. and Rajasthan . Stayed for 2 Nights in the Deep Mahal inside the fort , right next to the famous Jain temples . I did it rembering that this would be the only time I would stay inside the fort in Jaisalmer.
(The jaisalmer fort is in jepoardy due to the excessive amount of water that is beeing pumped inside it ).The property in itself is in the small lanes on the top of the fort with a flight of stairs leading into the main foyer. They have many rooms in different levels . They have 1 ac room and all the others are non A\C but really clean and with comfortable beds.

My room was on the first floor, the hotel guy Yogesh told me that this was a new room . It was beautiful with carvings on the wall with some of the lights being within the carvings. The rest rooms were clean and big , though i had to remind the guy atleast 3 times before he got me a towel.

They have a restaurant on the roof top but i didnt really have much except for a toast and fried egg which was full of oil , so will skip a comment on that.

• Liked — The look and feel of the rooms
  • Disliked — The delay in gettign me towels
  • Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Deep Mahal Haveli? Share your experiences!