“The most memorable and accommodating stay in Rajastan, India” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Surja Hotel

Save Saved
You added Surja Hotel to your Saves list
Surja Hotel
East Fort Wall, In the Fort | Inside fort east wall, Jaisalmer 345001, India   |
Ranked #18 of 105 Jaisalmer B&B and Inns
singapore
“The most memorable and accommodating stay in Rajastan, India”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

I was on a writing trip to Rajastan very recently.
I can be quite picky with my lodging options especially, myself being a cautious solo female traveler in India. When I arrived inside of the fort in Jaisalmer after a trip to desert that was arranged by a mid-range hotel outside of the fort, I was really tired and ready to crash. However, the hotel that I made a reservation to had fleas in the room and I had to find another place immediately. After spending a night at a random guest house next to it, I was ready to find a good place to really relax so I can enjoy the city and write.

A kind solo female traveler from the U.S. I met at the guest house recommended me Surja Guest House and she mentioned their restaurant with the amazing view of Jaisalmer. One of the owners, Raj kindly showed us the way and I liked the place a lot solely because of its location – next to the best/most expensive hotel in the fort in a slightly secluded and quiet dead end street. After I decided to stay at Surja, another owner, Yogi was generous enough to provide a ride to transport my ever expanding backpack and myself to the guest house.

I decided on staying at a spacious double room with a long balcony and a private bathroom. The price was very affordable for the quality of the room that they provided. I was able to rest completely even with a bit of roomservice provided. One thing was that there were too many mosquitos over all in the fort and my room in Surja had many but Raj set up some sort of incense to ease the situation.

Staff members were very accommodating, no one was pressuring me with their camel ride tour. I wish I had gone on a camel ride through Surja Guest House though instead of the one from outside of the fort, since I read good reviews on their ride/tours now...Also, sometimes they offer quick free tours to some of the major sites in the city!

Having a free wifi connection was one of the best things since I was constantly researching while I was writing. I've never encountered any lodging places in India with free internet service so that was a big plus.

Food was great. Their chai was extra spicy which stood out and which I liked.

That Lakeview lounge on the rooftop was such a relaxing place to chill during the day and night.

It was a bit hard to leave the city and Surja Guest House although I only spent two nights and three days. It was generous of Yogi to provide me a ride to train station. Both of the owners know what they are doing and they work hard to accommodate you.

Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

256 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

This hotel is in side fort,clean,safety,friendly,always we can see nice view all jaisalmer town,also histrical buildings from roof top.
owner Mr.Yogi told me "you can stay like as home"
YES! I could stay with relax.They have some kind of rooms.
also restulant is good price,dericious.
If you have interesting about camel safari,geep safari,some tours,you can book here!
Thanx for nice stay!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
In flux
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

The entire staff at Surja Hotel is fantastic. Raj and Yogi, the owners, are amazing hosts and made our experience in Jaisalmer memorable. In the last two months backpacking through India, we have been looking to find a hotel that could replicate and live-up to Surja. Hasn't happened yet!!!! We arrived before dawn, straggled into Surja, and immediately we were brought upstairs and given chai after chai until our room was clean from the night's prior guests. We were shown into the Maharajah room and quoted an EXTREMELY reasonable price for their best room which was spacious, immaculate, with charming painted walls and a little window seat/balcony that looked out over the fort wall. It was refreshing after being in India for one month and not feeling like we needed to haggle for the price of the room - the quote was fair and I was surprised at how cheap.The restaurant upstairs has undeniably the best view over the fort and the food served was unparalleled to any we had in Rajasthan. Try the Kaju Curry. Service was prompt and the food was served in a timely manner and could even be brought to your room (although it would be silly to be in your room when you could be sitting on the rooftop overlooking the fort down below and the desert in 360 view, especially atmospheric at dusk). The staff treats you like family here - Munna (a staff member) referred to me as his sister and provided me with a full outfit for HOLI so that I wouldn't ruin my clothes. Another huge perk to this place, which we haven't found ANYWHERE else, is that they provide free wifi. We have a blog that we keep up and it was perfect to be able to sit there on the patio and not rack up the rupees uploading pictures. So if you have a laptop, this is your place. Yogi had mentioned that for next season he was going to get several laptops for customer use on the rooftop, so you might ask about that when you book. Just next door there are high-dollar expensive hotels that have the same views, but they charge 4 times the price as this one. It is already a popular place, and understandably so. You might want to book in advance.

We also, (and I cringingly admit), booked a camel safari. Yes. It IS about as touristy as it gets and we were worried at how cheesy it might be. We decided to book through Surja with Yogi's promise that it wouldn't be touristy. We were still skeptical. Turns out it wasn't. They took us through a stretch of desert where we hardly saw a soul and spent the night under the stars. Munna and our guided cooked us a beautiful meal over open fire, everything made from scratch and then were presented with a breakfast fit for kings. And again, all for a reasonable price.

This is definitely your best pick for Jaisalmer. Don't listen to lonely planet or rough guide when they say you should stay outside the fort. Raj and Yogi treat you like friends and after one week there (which is the longest we've stayed anywhere) we were invited to a complimentary dinner of egg curry made by Yogi himself for our last night in the hotel.

Best location, best value, best service, no hassle.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

We have been backpacking for almost two years and on the
recommendation of a friend we decided to stay here. The rooms were
spacious, clean and have beautiful views of the fort (The hotel is
actually on the fort walls). The staff are extremely helpful and
accommodating. They allowed us to use their showers and room to rest
even though we already checked out preparing for our train to Jodhpur
at no cost.

There is a restaurant upstairs "Lakeview Lounge" which serves great
continental and Indian food at reasonable prices for the area. We ate
the spinach spaghetti and cheese, mushroom, tomato burger both were
delicious. We can also recommend the banana honey porridge for
breakfast, very yummy. You can have a 360-degree view of Jaisalmer
from the second floor or the restaurant.

They also have FREE WiFi in their hotel rooms and restaurant in
addition to a shared computer.

They also book camel tours that have constantly receive great reviews.
We enjoyed our 4 day stay in Jaisalmer, partly due to Surja Hotel,
it's restaurant and staff.

The only issue...like th rest of Rajastan and most of India, the cows are everywhere and you really have to be careful where you walk. There are also dogs everywhere barking randomly in the middle of the night but that is no one's fault.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Hradec Kralove
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

We were delighted of staying in Surja GH! Yogi was wonderful host and I would to thank him again for his hospitality. He helped us much with everything what we needed. We recommend to everyone to stay in Surja GH in Jaisalmer. It is in the fort, between wonderful streets and with a beautiful view of the city of Jaisalmer!! Go there and enjoy your stay.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Kassel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2010

Come as tourist, stay as a guest and go as a friend.
These words are not just a slogan on the official website of the
Surya Hotel. The whole team under the leadership of Ray and Yogi is really
putting with so much personal arrangement the stay for each guest
to create beautiful and memorable as possible.
The rooms are charmingly decorated, very clean and inexpensive. By most
rooms you have a great view over the city and into the desert.
In the warm season it is wonderful to sleep on the roof, to
morning enjoy the sunrise and see how the city awake.
I have found no better place in Jaisalmer!
Thanks for the beautiful days in the Surya Guest House. I love coming back as
a friend.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
South Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

Raj and Yogi run a wonderful hotel. They treat you like family and genuinely care about your stay being happy. They are quite happy to give you advice and guidance, even if you are not staying with them, or using their camel trekking teams. Raj looks after the hotel side of things, while Yogi cordinates the camel safaris. Yogi comes from a desert village and chooses his team from people that he personally knows. I had a wonderful time trekking on the camels, enjoying the desert experience and felt very watched over and cared for by the team. They also cooked us wonderful meals over open fires at night. The rooms at the hotel range in price and features to suit those looking for cheaper, value for money rooms, to their Maharaja room which is stunning. The Maharaja room is great value, very spacious room that has been so beautifully decorated. Spoil yourself and stay in this room. The views from their rooftop restaurant are wonderful. Jaisalmer Fort is a magnificent place to stay, so unique and unlike anywhere else you will visit. The team at Surja have left me with lifetime memories, thank you.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Been to Surja Hotel? Share your experiences!