“BEST memories from our trip were here-- such a treat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Surja Hotel

You added Surja Hotel to your Saves list
Surja Hotel
East Fort Wall, In the Fort | Inside fort east wall, Jaisalmer 345001, India   |
Ranked #17 of 118 Jaisalmer B&B and Inns
Monrovia, California
“BEST memories from our trip were here-- such a treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Surja hotel exceeded my expectations! The rooms were clean, water was hot (most of the time), food was great, and the views..... WOW! my friend and I had the BEST time drinking endless amounts of chai on the rooftop enjoying the views, reading a book, eating a snack. Free internet use at the computer. It was so quiet too! My friend enjoyed sitting on the roof, or on our little balcony out of the room, while I got to explore the fort and just walk around looking at the stores. It was a great place to stay as women traveling alone, loved our time there. Very smooth pick up from train station, we didnt even have to pay for the 2 rides in autos.
TIP: their camel safaris are more expensive than from tour guides in the fort. don't be afraid to say no thank you. We got exactly what we wanted (sunset camel safari and meal on the dunes for less than rs.1,000), and not from the surja hotel people.
They are a bit pushy with their service, but very friendly :-)

Room Tip: Room 5 is very spacious and great sitting balcony with view
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

I didn't lack for anything at this wonderful guest house! My main man Muna was an amazing guide and friend, organizing the best excursion to the sites around Jaisalmer I could ever want and at a VERY fair rate compared to other outfitters.

Muna -> Joe from Canada misses you! Bai!!! Lets go to the desert again and eat good mutton! You are one of my fondest memories of my 3 months in India! Wish I knew a way to contact you directly! Miss you man!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

These guys went so far out of their way to help me out. I found everyone who worked at the hotel to be honest and genuinely kind and helpful. They have a great social rooftop and I hung out on there for of my stay in Jaisalmer with the other tourists. They also provide WiFi free of charge. I wholeheartedly recommend them. I only stayed one night and really wish I had extended my stay as I was tempted to do. Great experience in every way. Oh, and try the Kaju Curry with mixed vegetables.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Phitsanulok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

Many travelers have sung the praises of this hotel/guesthouse, so I probably don't need to say anything but I will because it is such a delight. It is incredible value for very modest prices. The location is nothing short of spectacular, perched high on the battlements of the charming old fort/city. We stayed in the most "expensive" room at 850 rupees (the other rooms are all less at differing rates) very big and delightfully decorated with a wonderful Indian style balcony over looking the fabulous golden city of Jaisalmer and the Thar desert. The roof top restaurant is a great chill out spot with breathtaking views. The food is good multi-cuisine guesthouse fare at very reasonable prices. They even turn out a remarkably tasty pizza. Raj is an ebullient host, who picked us up personally at the train, and later took us on an extended (free) walking tour of both the fort and the surrounding city markets. Everybody in Jaisalmer knows this guy. He makes it his personal duty to ensure that you have a delightful stay. There is never any pressure to sell tours etc.

The old city is just amazing, you can wander , shop and eat for endless hours-loved it. I was in Jaisalmer 30 years ago, a bit different then, but I enjoyed it more this time..

Don't miss Jaisalmer or the Surja. (Be sure to book ahead, they are often full).

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

The Surja is possibly the best value for money from a budget hotel I've found in India. Our room was only 150 rupees per night, complete with a balcony over-looking the courtyard outside. It was a clean room, and we slept well in what I found to be a very relaxing setting. There were also more expensive rooms (300-500) that had breath-taking views of the sandy city below the fort, which were decorated to a particularly high standard.

The roof-top restaurant had an incredible perspective of Jaisalmer and the managers don't mind a bit if you while away the afternoon reading or just lazing about. There is also free wi-fi available which I found to be very fast and cut out only if the power went off, which was rarely.

The food was good value for money and the portions were excellent! I would particularly recommend the porridge with banana and honey as a great start to the day! We were also given complimentary drinks upon arrival and departure which I've never experienced in budget hotels in India before, so it was a nice touch.

The managers, Yogi and Raj, were incredibly friendly and helpful. They organised an overnight camel safari for us with lunch, dinner and breakfast included at only 850 rupees each. Of course, we spent more time off the camel than on, but our thighs were grateful for the rest! When we returned, I realised that I had accidentally left my camera on the camel saddle and they recovered it for me later that day with no problem or extra charge whatsoever.

Our stay at the Surja was so wonderful that I would recommend it to any of my friends and family, though I'd advise them to deal with Raj and Yogi wherever possible, as a third member of staff, Munnah, made me uncomfortable. The hand-shakes and interruptions when you're trying to eat or you're in the middle of conversation are unnecessary to say the least, but the forced hug when we were leaving was especially awkward. We all said we were glad to have dealt only with Yogi and Raj after watching Munnah get pushy with other customers about the cost of camel safaris etc.

If you're staying for several days, you'd be wise to keep track of what you eat and drink, as there were a couple of discrepancies on our bill, though this was down to disorganisation of the restaurant slips rather than any sort of scam, so don't let it put you off.

Overall, a wonderful place with a relaxing atmosphere in the most beautiful of settings. A must-visit if you're in Jaisalmer!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Neckarsulm, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

My sister stays at Hotel Surja whenever she goes to Jaisalmer and now I know why. She wanted me to come along and see with my own eyes and yes, I simply loved the place!!!
The relaxing rooftop was just what I needed, the food just what I loved and the friendly staff just what I wished for. Thank you to all for making our stay such a pleasant one!!! A wonderful place to stay all round and one I will recommend to everybody visiting Jaisalmer in the future.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

Thanks to all the staff for yet another wonderful stay.... these guys are amazing and truly try hard to help wherever they can to make your stay a memorable and relaxing one!

Thank you, Raj... for booking my favourite room, making me feel at home, helping with free transport, making all as easy as possible for me... When you find a place like this you will always come back to it, no need to stay anywhere else!
Travelling to India regularly, I find it very important to feel at home and trust the people I deal with... so will be back soon :-)

Love the food and atmosphere in the restaurant... what a place to be at sunrise and sunset!!!
I can thoroughly recommend this place for business trips (Free WIFI!!!) or leisure for people of any age... and am happy to be contacted if you have any concerns.

We also booked a short camel safari this time, visiting the dunes at sunset. We were looked after very well... thank you Moona for a memorable experience we wouldn't want to miss... LOVED IT!!! :-)

Can I say anything else? Ah yes.... please do not listen to the hustlers trying to tell you that there is a problem with the drainage of the fort. They will try to convince you not to stay inside the fort but in Jaisalmer itself.... sadly this claim is also distributed in well known travel guides and is due to sloppy investigation - now threatening the survival of so many beautiful havelis urgently in need of funds - tourism is their only income - this is now been compromised by these claims.... please support businesses inside the fort!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to Surja Hotel? Share your experiences!