“Sharanagati Yogahaus retreat Dec-Jan 2013/14” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sharanagati Yogahaus

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Varkala
Sharanagati Yogahaus
You added Sharanagati Yogahaus to your Saves list
Thiruvambadi Road | Black Beach, Varkala 695141, India   |
Ranked #4 of 74 Varkala B&B and Inns
Stockholm, Sweden
“Sharanagati Yogahaus retreat Dec-Jan 2013/14”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

I spent 3 weeks at Sharanagati this winter. I´m beginner level at Yoga and didn´t quite know what to expect. I was in a difficult situation in my private life and needed a break so I did some research on the web and decided to book 10 days. I ended up staying for the whole of my trip. After a few days I got into the routine - breathing exercise, meditation and yoga in the morning and another round of yoga in the afternoon. I spent the days swimming, walking, reading, just hanging out. Varkala is a perfect spot for that. I stayed in a Hotel neighboring (connected to) the YogaHaus which suited me well - got some extra privacy. It is a friendly, simple, nice and clean hotel (called Divine Bliss (!!)). People come and go at the Yogahaus, some stay for 3 days others for 3 weeks. A nice mix of people with different nationalities, ages, yoga skills etc. I felt very welcome and very comfortable at all times. The staff makes breakfast and lunch - nice, healthy and home cooked (included). Hari (founder, owner) is an excellent teacher. He shares his wisdom as well as his Yoga knowledge. All in all he has a good thing going and I can sincerely recommend Sharanagati to anyone who is into well-being.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Ystad, Skåne Län, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I have been to this place a couple of times and it has become a second home. Everytime the garden its getting more beautiful. The food is vegetarian and wonderful. And ofcourse Hari and the yoga is making this place the one you allways want to go to for making your body and mind healthy. I just love it.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here, great people, great food, and Hari (German) the teacher is lovely and interesting. I was actually looking for more help with postures, even though I'm not a beginner, but the program is more oriented towards the practice of mindfulness. I found this to be really helpful, but still would have liked to improve my postures. The rooms are spacious and clean, no hot water, but usually it's not needed, and no wifi which most of us found a blessing. It seemed perfect for westerners in that it's like a traditional ashram only in the heart of things, not in the rules and regulations (other than vegetarian, no smoking or drugs, of course). When the house is full, some people stay in the hotel next door, which I think suited some and not others. I would say it is an excellent place if you want to wind down and relax. It is somewhat pricier than other options however.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

I stayed here for 6 nights at the end of a month trip to Kerala, and it was the perfect way to end an amazing trip. I went for some chill out time having been travelling with friends and left with a deep and profound sense of peace and wellbeing. For the first time ever I really understood what it means to 'take your time'. It really is worth taking your time at Sharangati! Hari is a great teacher and has many words of wisdom mixed in with a great sense of humour. I went home with his MP3 recording of the two hour asana class and I have been continuing my practice regularly since I got back. Thank you for everything Hari. All the very best and hope to see you again in the future.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

If you are looking for an authentic + holistic yoga experience in Verkala - look no further. Contact Hari & book yourself in. You will be glad you did. My husband and I loves it and is already planning to go back although we just reached home. :)

While rooms are simple, it is very cosy & homey, since there are only 4 rooms, people get to know each other very quickly - somehow there is a vibe in Sharangati which attract the right type people & everyone we encountered were great there.

Hari is both a wonderful yoga teacher + a great person & you really feel relaxed in the whole ambience within Sharangati. He really gives everyone a space to be themselves both on + off the mat.

Shiva the housekeeper was an awesome cook & everyone loves her authentic Keralan home cooked food. The food was so good that I end up eating 3 times as much food as I usually would & gained 1.5kg in a week.

A gentle reminder, though, IT IS AUTHENTIC - i.e: There is no AC & that there will be odd giant spiders in the rooms & plentiful of mosquitos (like everywhere else in India, really - Shiva will be more than happy to get the spider out for you, though.) Plus, authentic Keralan Food may also be too spicy for most American / European taste, but it was perfect for my tastebud. The stray + non-stray dogs nearby also loves to cool themselves down in the yoga hall to escape the midday heats & that mongoose roams around like it is their own backyard. For those of you who likes it real - like me - these little proximity to nature just makes me like the place even more.

Overall, Sharangati yogahaus feels like my second home in India - there is something about this place which really makes people makes people feels so at home at you will end up staying longer. Highly recommended! :)

Room Tip: For best afternoon napping experience, always keep the mosquito net intact. Peak season is from Octo...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Steyr, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

We stayed 10 days with Hari in the Yogahaus and loved the time there very much. We came for practicing yoga and did yoga also in other places in India but we loved it here most!!! We were welcomed very warm, to stay at Sharangati is like to be at home. And the food: it's excellent!!!! Shiba the cook is a very nice Indian lady and she cooks better than in the restaurants around, because more authentic! The rooms are very clean - if you want they clean it every day. Haris teaching is very respectful and it is interesting to listen his experiences in yoga and meditation. If you want to do yoga without staying in an ashram, the Sharangati Yogahaus would be the best choice!!!!!!!
Michael and Sita

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Rooms simple, clean and comfortable but not luxurious, this is a home stay not a hotel, no mini bar, TV or hot water. But after heat of day a cold shower feels nice.
Yoga is excellent; classes are small and friendly unlike many in India. Hari takes good care of his students and gives options for different abilities.
Daily routine of morning yoga, breakfast (lovely porridge and fruit), down to beach (few minutes’ walk), lunch was very good home cooked Keralan. Garden very nice for relaxing the afternoon away, more yoga at 4pm and then back to the beach to swim in the sea whilst the sun set over the Arabic sea. Evening meals are eaten out in one of the many restaurants of Varkala with fellow guests or if you prefer alone, Hari can advise on some of the best eating places, “the secret garden” serves the best food I have ever had in India.
Whilst the yoga is not compulsory and some days it may be nice to miss a session and go explore, to get the real benefit of this place you do need to do the yoga. If it’s just a beach holiday you want then there are many hotels in Varkala which will do.
Met some lovely fellow guests and was very sad to leave but I had pre-booked to go to an ashram and Hari’s was full otherwise I would have stayed longer.
Ideal place for a solo traveller who wants a relaxing yoga vocation, not too hard core, but just really enjoyable.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Been to Sharanagati Yogahaus? Share your experiences!