“The most beautiful temple i've been to” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 19 things to do in Varkala
mumbai
4 attraction reviews
“The most beautiful temple i've been to”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We went to the temple around 8 pm. The temple was lit with loads of small oil lamps and looked incredibly beautiful. Its a really old vishnu temple and had some of the most intricate stone carvings of indian god & goddesses. We witnessed the elaborate evening prayer ceremonies and participated too. The priests were very friendly and were happy to answer our queries. Note - shorts are not allowed in the main temple

Visited December 2012

Meerut, India
“nice temple”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

that temple is near to main beach of varkala....it is a must visit place in varkala......I went there with my wife to get the blessing of lord Vishnu..........

Visited December 2012
Brighouse
6 attraction reviews
“Well worth a visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I am not normally interested in churches, temples and mosques, I tend towards the view that once you've seen one you've seen them all.
I have to admit though that I actually found this visit very interesting. Local people were there in worship and the atmosphere was quite something!
We stayed at the Gateway Hotel, Varkala and the temple was very close to where we were staying. I kept hearing loud explosions and thought it must be someone shooting or some device being used to scare away the birds. After our visit to the temple the mystery was solved. On leaving the temple you could pay 10 rupees to have a firework discharged to frighten away the evil spirits!
We actually visited this temple as part of a guided tour of the local attractions. Our taxi driver was our guide and I am glad we were accompanied. He told me when I could take photographs and when I needed to remove my shirt,etc.
We also visited Sivagiri Mutt with the hill-top mausoleum of Sree Narayana Guru, the Varkala Tunnel built by the British in1880, local fishing hamlets with beautiful deserted beaches in both directions, the British Fort at Anjengo and a canoe trip across to Golden Island and the Thuruth Temple. The boat trip was truly relaxing just watching kingfishers, eagles, herons & cormorants.
This four and a half hour trip was put together by a very nice man called Aneesh. He has a small tour operator shop situated at the Helipad, Varkala trading as DIYA Tours & Travel. The total cost of our trip including any temple visiting fees, the boat trip, etc was 1300 rupees. Aneesh also changes money and whilst we were there in October, 2012 he was giving 85 rupees per £ sterling, making our trip a mere £15.30 for the two of us.
My wife and I agreed that this was an excellent morning trip out and we felt enriched to have seen more than just a nice hotel, pool and beach. We also travelled on the local buses and trains and found that to be very enjoyable too.
Whilst mentioning Aneesh and DIYA Tours & Travels I can whole-heartedly recommend his services. He arranged an overnight houseboat trip for us starting from Kollam and we were more than satisfied, especially so since his price was way cheaper than what the hotel or tour operator quoted, and I do mean WAY cheaper!

Visited October 2012
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
5 attraction reviews
“Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

The temple visit is just to see what is in there! Temple is neat and well maintained! Good to see! And remember men should remove their shirts!

Visited October 2012
Jamshedpur, India
47 attraction reviews
“2000 years old and you can feel it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This temple to Lord Vishnu is over 2000 years old. The aura inside is amaing. It's very quiet, with only the sound of chimes and kirtans.
Men have to go bare bodied, just take of your shirts. Conservative dressing is expected.

Visited September 2012