“nice to be back” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mummy Bamboo House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Varkala
Mummy Bamboo House
Cliff Papanasam | Kurakkanni, Varkala 695141, India   |
Ranked #11 of 72 Varkala B&B and Inns
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“nice to be back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

2nd vist to mummys and it's nice to know somethings don't change,a warm welcome from Suduanen at the airport and then Rani and the family at the house. The room was spotless and the hammock just as welcoming.This really is a relaxing place to vist and Ranis cooking lessons were as popular as ever and eating the results even more so .The festival parades were really enjoyable,the locals really know how to enjoy themselves. The place to stay in Varkala,

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

145 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
Beds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

We stayed here for 7 nights in total (5 nights first then 2 nights).
This was our first stay here with Rani and her family. After a shaky start because of a greedy Taxi Driver we settled into our room happily. (This was not of Rani's making).
Security here was not a problem if you are sensible and with the guard dog Vikki we felt safe. It is not on the front and is very quiet for it's central location. Less than 1 minute walk to the cliff. The room and bathroom was clean and functional. We were in a room with just a fan. As it was really hot we asked Rani for a possible change to aircon, but when she offered us another fan, this was the perfect solution. There was no hot water, but this is certainly not needed in March! We did not eat here, but could've done if we wanted to and were told, by other guests, that the food is delicious. If you are lucky to be there when Brett, the Aussie, is there he is like a tour guide on his own and was able to give us a couple of excellent tips. Especially as we wanted to go to Kovalem. He advised us about the AC Bus that runs directly from Varkala to Kovalem without having to change at Trivandrum.
If you are on a budget/backpacking this is an ideal place to lay your head.
We visited nearly every bar/restaurant on the cliff and recommend all of them, but we especially recommend Abba for Breakfast with it's Abba special. Very Good VFM.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

This is our second stay with Rani, Sudhanen, Aria and Akil, and our 3rd stay in Varkala.

We always choose the rooms down stairs at the front so that we can be involved with the daily happenings.

Always love Rani's cooking, especially the Crab curry - Banana pancakes were a favorite with Mum for breakfast, and we loved the Idly's and Samba.

The location is perfect - close to the cliff face and also the stairs to the beach - taxi service available at Mummy Bamboo and also TUK TUK's for local travel. Many restaurants so very close to home.

Yoga classes on the roof top at Keeratheeram (next door) were excellent and cheap too!

Ther service at Rani's is excellent and anything you need she can arrange, from cooking classes to shopping trips into the local markets.

Hotel rates are excellent value and the rooms are exceptionally clean and well maintained.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Chandigarh, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

I visited this guesthouse on the recomendation of fellow traveller that I met in the train on the way to Varkala. On the first look I find it ok, but after staying there for two days I changed my perception about it. Nice & clean rooms, friendly Rani & her family, this place is hardly a 2min. walk from the beach that a big plus because it's very easy to acess the beach. I stayed on the first floor room, it has nice balcony attached to it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I came to this guesthouse on the back of another traveller's recommendation and was very glad I did.

The lady who runs it was very friendly and welcoming and I felt I had no choice but to stay!

My room (500R) was nice and clean. The double bed had a framed mosquito net allowing lots of space within it. Bathroom had a tiled floor. A crate of water was provided (pay for what you drink obviously) which I thought was a nice touch.

Outside was a hammock, chairs and table. It lacked privacy as it faced the backdoor area of the neighbouring guesthouse where the owners of that place would sit. But they were smiley and friendly. There were blinds I could have lowered if I'd wanted.

It's set a bit back from the cliff edge so lacks the seaviews of some places but it's a 3 minute walk and you're on the beach.

Having eaten at a nearby restaurant and got the password for their wifi I was then able to borrow the connection from my hammock.

The owner can wash you clothes and also cook you meals. She made me lunch one day and it was AMAZING. Really tasty and colourful. I didn't have a clue what most of it was but it was delicious. Even if you don't stay here you should come and ask her to cook.

Highly recommended.

When in Varkala I also recommend you go to Coffee Temple run by Londonite Les. They make possibly the best full English breakfast I've had outside of England. The coffee was pretty good too.

In the evening head to Chill Out - does what is says on the tin. A great bar/restaurant/chill out place. They show films, football, Indian MTV (crazy.) The staff are great and unlike almost everywhere else I've been in India I felt no divide between them and us foreigners.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

Just to make this clear - we didn't stay at the guesthouse. Only did the cooking lessons.

We decided to take cooking lessons at Mummy Bamboo house after the other well known cooking school in Varkala cancelled on us twice. But boy, I'm glad they did!

Rani is a lovely woman, very gentle and giggly! She gets the ingredients fresh so you must book a day in advance or at least early in the morning.

We chose the non-veg option and ended up cooking at least 5 different dishes including a lovely tuna curry. These classes are great value at (I can't remember exactly but somewhere around) 300 - 400 Rupees per person for 2 hours of cooking.

Although she's a great teacher and she keeps going over the basic ingredients to help you remember, it would of been nice to have some kind of booklet with the recipes in because as soon as I left I couldn't think of one thing we'd used in the cooking!

We loved where we stayed in Varkala but looking at Mummy Bamboo Guesthouse and the happy residents we would definitely consider staying here next time :)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
tvedestrand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012 via mobile

Just agree with everybody that is happy about this place.
Fantastic service,,thanx rahni and sudhanen for all the help and organising tours.
Great location to the beach and restaurants. About 60 meter walk:-)
Will for 100% sure come back here whenever we'r going back to varkala.
Dont doubt booking this guesthouse. Do it now:-)
Lars & Isa /Norway

• Stayed February 2012

Been to Mummy Bamboo House? Share your experiences!