“Loved it so much I went back to Varkala just to stay here again!” 5 of 5 stars

Shiva Garden
North Cliff Kurakkanni | Kurakkanni, Varkala 695141, India   |
Ranked #19 of 75 Varkala B&B and Inns
Montreal, Canada
“Loved it so much I went back to Varkala just to stay here again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

I spent 2 weeks at Shiva Garden last year and had such a great time I came back to Varkala this year only because I couldn't resist spending more time there. The common area has hammocks, a swing and a comfy dining area which is great for meeting other travelers and even hanging out with the adorable kids of the families that stay there. I don't think any other Guest House in Varkala offers that. The rooms have everything you need and the dorms are perfect for budgeting backpackers. The addition of locks this year made it even easier to leave my valuables when I went to the beach, although I was never nervous about any of my things being stolen. Jayan, Lovely and Baiju take care of everything and make sure their guests have a wonderful time. I look forward to a great stay there again next year!

Room Tip: Book in advance in high season or it will be full.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

We 100 percent recommend this place to couples/solo travellers/ or families and we found all these staying there. The service of our hosts named Lovely and Baiju were what made this place extra special.

The rooms are small but cosy and have all that's needed (a fan/safe/and clean bathroom). The use of various throws and small touches made Shiva Garden a wonderful place to relax after the hubbub of Trivandrum.

The breakfasts were great (Puttu being our favourite!) And best of all is the garden...

The garden has hammocks to relax and read in, communal floor couches to meet other travellers and have a beer on, and many green plants to help you relax in the hot hours of the midday sun. Our only slight negative was that the bed sheets were pretty thick which made for hot nights during power cuts.

The location is good as well. It is just set back from the beach front by a couple of minutes walk and not only does this mean you can get away from the tourist drag a touch but also get slightly cheaper rooms which everyone always loves!

Room Tip: Lovely, the owner, is open to bartering!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

We went to Shiva Garden due to a recommendation and were very glad we stayed. Vayan and Lovely were absolutely amazing and treated us fantasticly. We had some very good conversations with them over the 5 nights (originally only planned to stay for 2) we stayed there.

We had an apartment room which gave us so much room. The food was great, you must try the thali, or the masala dosa for breakfast.

Thank you.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

Was a peacefull place that moves at it's own pace. Good energy and the Thalia meal was supperb.

• Stayed March 2011
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

I arrived to Shiva Garden at night, coming from a quiet North Kerala area that took 12 hours for travel. I was nervous about how busy Varkala would be with the Westerners and how I would mingle after being with local natives for a month. The young, friendly management & staff welcomed me with a big smile and instantly felt like another home. The open, charming kitchen was busy preparing fresh veggie thali and the spice aroma made my mouth water. I was excited by the food alone! Jayan (the owner) was amazing, he knows hospitality inside and out. Make sure you experience his back water canoe to the Golden Island, spiritual secret hidden journey that he has lived and breathe since childhood. Shiva Garden in the middle of a very busy beach tourist town made my stay more enjoyable than I imagined. Be prepared for guest talent and music as each night was a nice surprise of entertainment after dinner. The guest range from young adventurous travelers to older writer and musicians from around the world. A nice twist.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

i stayed at Shiva Garden twice, once in the apartment and once in a room. I actually came back the second time because i found this the best place to stay in kerala. the price value and service were by far the best i experience in the south. the staff went far to make sure my needs were met and i was happy. they were great at arranging all types of things from taxis, to airport transfers for friends arriving at 4am in morning, tours of Golden Isle. I highly recommend this location. The icing on the cake is the food, which is one of the best in Varkala. I ended up spending too many full days lying around the garden since the food was so good and right at my finger tips. Cant wait to return.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Hamburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

I am still pleased when I think about the marvellous time my husband and I spent in South India.
We first arrived in Shiva Garden and never want to leave anymore. So take care: if you hang up there once you´ll probably stuck and end up there for the rest of your time. The garden with all the hammoks and a lot of tall palms were really peaceful, still there have also been some people you can keep in touch and talk to. Jayan has been a wonderfull and patient manager always thinking of our benefits. As well as the room prices were reasonable. The staff was amazing: giving you a feeling like spending your time in a big family. It was always really clean everywhere. The rooms were simple but really nice. They was always a really nice Thali served for lunch or dinner.
We loved our stay and came back to Shiva Garden at the end of our journey. So we spent almost two weeks in the brilliant homestay of Jayan without any regrets.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Shiva Garden? Share your experiences!