“More of a clinic-retreat than a spa retreat” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rasa Ayurveda Traditional Healing Centre for Women

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)
Rasa Ayurveda Traditional Healing Centre for Women
You added Rasa Ayurveda Traditional Healing Centre for Women to your Saves list
Chaitanya #11 / 463 | Thittamangalam, Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum) 695013, India   |
San Francisco, California
“More of a clinic-retreat than a spa retreat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

This place is very authentic, if that's what you're looking for. There was a great sense of camaraderie amongst the guests, which I often found helpful, as I was on my own. Most of the staff are absolutely amazing, and the food was often wonderful. Sometimes, however, I wondered what I was paying a premium for and wished I had done more research, as I would have appreciated a more relaxing spa-like atmosphere with daily scheduled yoga and meditation. There is plenty of time to read from the extensive Ayurvedic library and to walk in the neighborhood. They will also arrange taxis for you if you ask - I recommend the bazaar rather than the more pricey tourist shops which they tend to suggest. Be sure to bring modest clothing for excursions, as the region is refreshingly unwesternized in that sense.

I would advise anyone planning a trip here to avoid being there during your period, as your treatments and activities are restricted, but you'll be paying the same daily rate - you're better off at the beach at that time.

Another reason I chose Rasa was to learn about Ayurveda from the source. That wasn't exactly easy to do beyond the fantastic library, but they do have educational retreats which seem very thorough and well presented - only you cannot have full treatments at the same time because they interfere with the resting that is necessary for Ayurvedic treatment.

Also budget in tipping for the staff of 11 into the daily rate, as it is customary at this place.

Families
Couples
Business
santa rosa ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

Rasa Ayurveda is a great place for women to get Ayurvedic treatments and to have a healing experience. It is run and owned by Niika, an American Ayurvedic practitioner living in India, and her Indian Ayurvedic partner, Sanju. This is a great combination, because all of the Western concerns and sensibilities are attended to while the traditional Ayurvedic practices are adhered to. There is a wonderful attention to detail, from the moment you are picked up at the airport, to your lovely room, the schedule of treatments and the FOOD. While doing a healing, I was not expecting to have the best food ever at each meal, made to suit my treatment and so tasty that the others who were getting treatments and I begged for a cooking class, which they provided.
There is a trained Ayurvedic physician who meets with clients to evaluate them and set up a treatment plan. The treatments are truly divine, each of the practitioners has been well trained and takes complete care of your every need. Individual herbal regimens are brought to you in your room, someone takes you to your treatment, cares for you and takes you back to your room. The whole staff is loving, caring and skilled. The center is in a small neighborhood with a walking path nearby. There is a temple in every direction, with chanting to be heard daily. On my walks, I always encountered something wonderful and interesting, whether in nature or in the children who strike up a conversation or a village woman who took my hand and walked with me, getting as big a kick out of me as I did of her.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2010

This place can’t get enough stars from my point of view. From the beginning when Vino picked me up at the airport in Trivandrum to the end when Sanju saw me off and Vino brought me back to the airport, it was like heaven. The accommodations are exactly what they say - simple and clean. You get your own bathroom. Meals are always cooked fresh, 3 times a day, and according to your constitution. The grounds are gorgeous, and there are hammocks to lie out in and enjoy looking up at the sky through palm leaves. And then there the treatment . . . Headed by Dr. Geeta, it’s amazing. Every piece of it is developed according to your constitution and symptoms, and changes daily as you change. The 4 therapists who administer the treatment are a joy, so even though you might have to drink some rather unpleasant-tasting stuff, the fact that they’re delivering it with a smile makes it all possible. And Dr. Geeta is there, overseeing everything, always available for consultation. Everyone, from Niika to the cleaner, is there to help, serve, and make our stay as perfect as possible.

Weather wise I loved it - 29-30 Celsius everyday. Perfect for relaxing and getting the full experience out of Ayurveda. I wouldn't change a second of my stay.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
santa rosa ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

This experience is a real treat and I recommend it as a refuge from traveling, a place to heal from illness or upset, or as a wonderful rejuvenation to set you up to return to the daily grind at home. It was unforgettable and worth it!

Fair Oaks, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

Loved my 8 night stay at Rasa. I only wish that I was warned that the weather would be hot and humid in late December! The travel guides lie when they say the weather is in the low 70's F at this time! Rasa is a lovely home, with two stories--the main floor has kitchen, dining, and accommodations, the 2nd floor is accommodations, yoga, altar, and doctors consulting room, and the top floor, enclosed with thatch/bamboo is the treatment area. The female therapists, while young, were pretty good (some Ayurveda centres in Kerala are heritage sites where staff has been there forever--more experience!), the rooms were clean, western toilets but Indian "showers" (bucket with hot water), and my only complaints were the hard beds and there was no A/C!!! Surely they could install one of those Sanyo wall units that one finds throughout India, and put them in each room. And, an extra mattress on the bed wouldn't hurt!

The food was exceptional--the cooks were excellent. Management was very attentive, too. But be prepared when you go for Ayurveda--you are not supposed to do anything strenuous or any site-seeing! So, if you are planning your first trip to India, I would suggest doing your site-seeing first and ending your trip doing Ayurveda to purify. There is nothing much to see in Trivandrum, India, and Rasa is pretty far out from the main city. I ended up doing a few side trips, much to the dismay of staff but this was my first trip to India and I didn't know the "rules" about ayurveda. Trivandrum is a grimy, dirty, polluted city, traffic was horrible. But, I needed to get out and to some fresh air so took a side trip to Kovalam for half a day and had lunch at the Taj Cove, put my feet into the infinity pool and then down to their private beachfront to dip my feet into the Arabian Sea!. Another half day trip was exploring the local temple, palace, and shopping. Accommodations, food, and all treatments came to $108/night plus tax, a special rate until Jan. 1 when it jumps to $142/night. For this price, I found it "expensive" by Indian standards. I stayed at another heritage site in North Kerala for $120/night with A/C and more space to move about, larger property, and larger room.

Other than the hard beds and no A/C, the only thing that was a little nervewracking was that the nearby temple began blasting their chanting and music at 4:30 am each morning. Even earplugs doesn't mask the noise. And, Kerala, being a communist state, you will find that political parties will go up and down the streets in their cars with loud speakers blasting propaganda in Malayalam!

Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

I attended a women's retreat at Rasa Ayurveda last October. I couldn't speak more highly of a place. The staff Doctor is easy to work with and hyper intelligent. I fell in love with the staff's smiling faces and loving personalities.
I am an Ayurvedic practitioner in the U.S. and I can honestly say that this place felt like the home Ayurveda. The treatments were top knotch, I received them daily, followed by delicious, home cooked meals and a nap in a hammock! My room was very simple, clean and comfortable. I returned home happier, and healthier than I had ever been.
One should know that it is on the outskirts of the city. I enjoyed this because it was quiet and safe. It was easy to hire a a rickshaw to take you to the city, but it wasn't walking distance.
Upon my return to India, I will stay here again. If you are hoping to learn a lot, relax even more, and have an authentic Ayurvedic experience while in India...this is your place.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

Been to Rasa Ayurveda Traditional Healing Centre for Women? Share your experiences!