“Lovely views” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Vivanta by Taj - Trivandrum

You added Vivanta by Taj - Trivandrum to your Saves list
Vivanta by Taj - Trivandrum
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C V Raman Pillai Road, Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum) 695014, India   |
Shanghai
“Lovely views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in Vivanta by Taj and we enjoyed our stay very much. The buggy ride to the resort, the walkways with palm trees and the lovely views from the room made our stay very nice. We dined at the beach restaurant where they served local cuisine. The sea was very rough, so we did not jump in. The pool was small and close to the dining area. The pool also was always crowded and noisy. Would be great to visit during off season.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Murugan R, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Trivandrum, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review of the Vivanta, Kovalam which you have inadvertently featured under the feedback for the Vivanta, Trivandrum. I am taking the liberty to pass on this feedback to Vivanta, Kovalam who will be made aware of your experience that you so sincerely offered! Many thanks once again for taking time to pen down your thoughts.

Murugan Rajan
Vivanta by Taj, Trivandrum

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed only for 1 night, at the end of a Kerala holiday before flying out.

Check-in was friendly and professional. Buffet meal, and the food we ordered off the a la carte menu, was good quality, with the buffet having a good variety. The lobby area is beautiful and spacious, with the hotel also hosting a bar/club.

Our room was clean and well-furnished - nothing to complain or write home about. Pool on one of the lower roofs (over the lobby) was relaxing and quiet.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for those kind words for our hotel product especially the lobby area, the buffet meal and the quality of the food alongside your good words for the Check-in experience. Also your mention about the cleanliness, well furnished room and a relaxing pool are something that we are thankful to you for mentioning. Should business or leisure bring you to Trivandrum again, I will be happy to meet.

Murugan Rajan
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

My first choice in any place is an international branded property and therefore opting to stay at Vivanta by Taj Trivandrum was easy. However, my overall experience was disappointing.

Before I mention the negatives, I must emphasize that every staff member, regardless of position, was very friendly, courteous and ready to be of help. This was the most redeeming feature of this hotel.

My inference therefore is, while staff selection & training is great, management's approach to broader issues is not. I cannot say if this has something to do with franchise versus company-owned property. But definitely not Taj standard.

Now to the specifics.

Building facade is very dull. It needs a face-lift. Understand it is a new property but does look like.

Check-n was okay. Welcome drinks and towels were inconspicuously sitting on a low table next to the counter but I doubt anybody would take notice it. Nobody offered one either.

Telephoning reception was not easy as half the attempts were met with no response. My guess is when the line is busy, it just keeps giving a ringing tone to the caller.

Room was good enough, though cleanliness and sound-proofing should be improved.

Bed linen was fine but towels need to be scrapped. The bath gowns do not seem to be laundered or changed after each guest. I put one one without a thought but then realized how smelly it was and had to take a full shower again.

A replacement did arrive but it was equally bad. Eventually did not use it at all.

Buffet breakfast variety had a wide choice but food taste and quality was below par.The only good dish was the Rawa Dosa by Chef Mr Mondal.

Other positives: Well-equipped gym, sauna, steam, pool. Plentiful supply of bottled water in the room.

To sum up, great people but a wanting leadership!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out to pen down your experience.

First of all I am indeed thankful for your feedback of our staff members whom you found courteous, friendly and forthcoming when in need of any assistance. I too agree that one of the stronger features of this hotel is the friendly nature of our staff. I will certainly mention this feedback during the next town hall with my associates and am sure it would be a morale booster for them. As regards some of the specifics that you had mentioned, I would like to inform that we have acted on those, which I have listed in the same order as you have raised.

a. The building façade you mentioned being dull is something that we are considering giving a facelift within the scope of a fresh coat of paint and a change in the lighting of the building that is sure to show up fine in the evenings. However, a change in the physical architecture is not on the anvil immediately as a current façade in terms of look and feel was a shortlisted design among a few that was presented after several considerations.
b. As regards the welcome drink and towels adjacent to the counter, they were meant to be a self service option for all our guests including non residents. However, with your valid feedback we will probably consider an option of service to all guests as a part of our Check-in experience and also probably move the trolley to a different location that express itself as a self service kiosk.
c. I am terribly sorry that your attempts to reach the hotel reception was met with no response. We have almost immediately changed the process to ensure that all calls land at a specific location that would be manned exclusively for 24 hrs a day.
d. I have taken note of the cleanliness and sound proofing in the room. We are working on the same to ensure there is peace and quiet in all rooms during the stay of our guests. The cleanliness issue raised may have been a lapse and a one-off situation due to oversight than a norm. We have since corrected a process to ensure consistency.
e. As regards the towels, they are changed periodically irrespective of usage as they can otherwise turn in a musty odour. I am at a loss myself to know how the same could have been overlooked. Here again, I have made a note of that and will ensure that these aspects will be looked at in great detail.
f. Thank you once again for your positive comments on the Gym, Sauna, Steam, Pool and the copious supply of bottled water in the room.

I promise that we will take cognisance of every negative comment that you have mentioned and convert them to positives of this hotel.

We look forward to your future visit.

Murugan Rajan,
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Taj Vivanta in Trivandrum is what you would expect from a Taj Vivanta, except the walls are thin and you hear everything that your neighbours are saying or watching. The same goes for what is happening in the corridor. The food is good and the staff friendly.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I have stayed here on three previous occasions. Today, on my arrival, I and my fellow colleague (both of us had travelled from England) were not offered a customary welcome drink and hand towel as has happened on all of my previous visits (the drinks were sitting on a trolley). The check-in was a bland, almost cold process. No pleasantries as has always been the case with my previous visits (on other occasions, the hotel staff would register from the booking that I was returning and would say 'welcome back Mr....'). The reception appeared under-staffed. Our passports were retained with no explanation that photocopies had to be taken. When I reached my room and noted that I did not have my passport, I called the reception and received a curt explanation. The room was great as are the hotel facilities. My complaint is aimed at the staff. I was promised my laundry at 11pm on my first day and it did not arrive until I had to make two reminders. I was told the gym would be open 24 hours. When I went down at 11pm for a run, it was closed. I called the reception and spoke to a grumpy sounding man who bluntly said 'someone will come down and open the gym' and he just slammed the phone down. Outside my deluxe room on the fifth floor, I overheard a prolonged argument and discussion between hotel staff which disturbed my peace. Hotel cooridors are not the place for staff to air their grievances or whatever the case may have been. This is NOT the Taj Vivanta I once knew and loved. Despite the new uniforms and the makeover, the hotel failed to impress me as the staff today did not make me feel like a guest AT ALL. I can understand all the good reviews as the hotel itself is very nice. My complaint is about staff attentiveness and their respect for guests, who should be treated like Kings. But today there's an air of conceit about the staff. I was expecting the total opposite. Put bluntly, the former charm and appeal of this place is disappearing. I will also be submitting my feedback formally once I have completed my full stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Bangalore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Admittedly i had high expectations from my first time visit to this Taj property. The staff was pleasant. I had made a late check in and requested a later check out but this was not granted.

The room was spacious. The 2 nights i spent at the hotel, i did not find the bathroom to be cleaned satisfactorily. Location of the hotel was big plus point. Very close to the railway station and is located in the city center. Surprisingly no noise, my room was the city view. Lot of eateries nearby. I ordered room service once and noticed that the price was lesser than the Gateway hotel :)

The breakfast spread was varied every day and suitable for all tastes. The pool looked very inviting but unfortunately i did not use it.

Pros: Location and quality food
Cons: No free internet for the price one pays for the room!, cleanliness is not up to the mark

I stayed last year at a 3 star hotel in Trivandrum for half the price and felt like a queen. Since the reviews of that hotel has dropped in the trip advisor i did not book there. May be next time i will visit that hotel again instead of Taj.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Kolkata
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Convenient location and absolutely superb service are hallmarks of this property. We really enjoyed our short stay here. Enjoyed the swimming and the spa treatment by very pleasant staff and the 'Dum Biryani' was awesome. Rooms are neat, clean and well kept. Would love to go there again in the near future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Vivanta by Taj - Trivandrum? Share your experiences!