Know the facts before booking a room here:
1. The hotel is run by the tourism department, but is located in a forest run by the forest department. So, every day that you need to leave the hotel to do a forest trip, you need to buy a ticket to enter the forest. We had to buy a ticket to get in the forest at 5pm the day we arrived, and another ticket the next day to do the tour. We felt very ripped-off.
2. A ticket is only valid until 6pm. So after 6pm, you are a prisoner in the hotel premises. We left to walk around and a forest official very sternly told us to go back.
3. For that reason, you have to have dinner in the hotel. It is very expensive (buffet; Rs 400 per head) and not worth it.
4. The rooms have no a/c and you are not allowed to open the windows as monkeys may come in and destroy your stuff. It can get freaking hot if you go in the summer, like we did.
5. The room itself is old and worn, and the beds are really hard. A double bed is just two singles next to each other - not comfortable sleeping.
6. It is convenient to wake up and just walk to the info center to take the bamboo rafting tour etc. but staying outside would be more convenient and cheap for every other situation. If I had known these facts I would have never stayed here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aranya Nivas is the only premium jungle lodge of its kind situated inside the Periyar Tiger Reserve(Thekkady). The resort provides avenue for close interaction with the tropical rain forest and wild life. The resort is located on the banks of Periyar lake. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, MakeMyTrip, Agoda, Tingo and Hotels.com so you can book your Aranya Nivas KTDC reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aranya Nivas Ktdc Hotel Thekkady
- Aranya Nivas Idukki
- Aranya Nivas Hotel Idukki
- Aranya Nivas KTDC Thekkady, Kerala