“Run down, highly insecure place to stay” 1 of 5 stars

The Windsor Castle
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   MC Road, Kottayam 656039, India   |
Ranked #11 of 25 hotels in Kottayam
Seattle, Washington
“Run down, highly insecure place to stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

My husband and I spent a night at this hotel when we were visiting Kottayam last year. Bath tub had cracks and the shower literally sprinkled water. The most disturbing part of the stay was, at around 2am in the morning, someone tried to get into our room. We had the security latch on, so they just left the door open and went away by the time my husband got to the door to check who it was. We reported to front desk and they looked puzzled, didn't even apologize or comfort saying they'll look into it. Which makes me suspect they probably knew who it was. How else can someone have access to a locked room at 2am? My advice is never stay at this place.

Room Tip: Never stay here!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

91 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Bangalore, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Hi, Stayed in this property on the second week of May.
Being from Kottayam, I have admired this hotel many a times during my trips through MC Road as a kid. First the positives: The room is very big,and clean. The in room bar have liquor at a reduced rate.
Now, myself and friend was allotted a room on the top floor and the room was piping hot even with full A/C. Request to change the room was accepted and they put us in the 3rd floor. The restaurant wasn't offering buffet breakfast since the occupancy was less. Food was good enough. I took a walk through the backyard of the hotel and realized how beautiful the place but was so sad to see that the property haven't been maintained and renovated for years together. This have really aged. Moreover the ban on many bars in Kerala have prompted the management to open an open bar outside the hotel(not sure if it was there earlier), you will see a lot of localites in the portico and veranda. Being from Kerala, I am fine, but not sure how a tourist will take this.
I don't have any complaints about this place, just a sad feeling that how beautiful this property would have been if maintained well!!! Management, Hope you are listening.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms in the top most floor, it can be real hot even with full A/C
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

Me my wife and her family had the unfortunate experience staying here. When we first arrived there was only one doorman who not only starred at all of us. But was very hesitate to bring our luggage inside. As soon as I entered the main lobby the smell n looks of it not only stunk but look dirty and run down. It got worse from there. As soon as we got off the elevator the 3rd floor had a disgusting red dirty red carpet with no ac at all in the lobby, elevator or in the hallways at all.
Then after opening the door to my room which was a nightmare the rooms have an outdated ac unit, no cable. Only was able to watch two channels nothing else. The bed mattress was very thin. The rooms look more like a run down motel. Then a hotel. I had to use the bathroom n when I walked in. I almost wanted to run out. The bath tub was full of mold, smelled n freaked out because cockroaches were coming out from the drain near the toilets. Dead serious. This places has cockroaches. I literally killed at least 10 in one night. I and my wife never even unpacked n left our luggages on the dressers. We didn't sleep barley all night. We were both afraid roaches would climb on us. I even called to complain the staff said they would send someone and no one ever showed up. Please stay away from this place.

• Stayed May 2014
Worcestershire England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I had a lovely room - complete with four-poster but oh dear the restaurant was ghastly. I was handed a drinks menu but then it turned out they didn't have any of the vodkas on it and the ones they did have were double the price - "we are issuing a new menu soon". Food not good - poor quality and badly cooked. Shame - this could be a nice place.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Edmonton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

As a Family we booked rooms in this Hotel in 2013 for four days.We never stayed here before,though we had in the past used indoor and outdoor resturants few times during our kerala trips.
we checked OUT of the hotel after one day for the same reasons your reviwers still complain.
Smelly,naphthalene balls all over to keep cockroches away,dirty yellow towels and sheets,last but not least borewell water yellow and rusty coming through the pipes.

Nalukettu resturant is very relaxing open air setting. Food served here are straight from fresh cooked buffet stations.Best time to use this facility is after dark though you get visited by odd mosquittos.
Buffet in indoor resturant has great choices,though bit hot for our palate.
Hotel is good for food,most locals consider this place classy and cherish to get invited by overseas relatives.BUT STAY AWAY FROM THE RESIDENCY PART OF THIS HOTEL.
sad to see the management does little to improve.Consequently we avoided this place during our recent trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kochi (Cochin), India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

My wife had stayed here with her parents last year, hoping to exted their stay if they loved the place. However that was not the case. The suite room which they had booked was smelling really bad and the bed covers smelled of naphthalene balls. Her dad requested for an alternate sheet, but it was even worse with its dirt smeared marks and smell. The bathroom was slimy and had dead cockroaches as well. The reception lounge has no ac and the ladies toilet is very sub standard with no toilet rolls and dead cockroaches on the floor. The only plus side to their experience was the buffet which tasted ok. In short, think twice before booking!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kochi (Cochin), India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Had been here yesterday for some "good food". Ordered a "Mutton Biryani". The biryani was not edible. Reported the same to the manager, he did not even bother to prepare a different dish. Worst of all, he billed us for it. As said earlier, its a place with potential. But, I would not recommend this place to anyone( thanks to the food).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Windsor Castle? Share your experiences!