“Certainly relaxing but not much to do.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Philipkutty's Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kottayam
Philipkutty's Farm
You added Philipkutty's Farm to your Saves list
Pallivathukal, Ambika Market P.O, | Vechoor, Kottayam 686 144 , India   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Australia
“Certainly relaxing but not much to do.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2008

I had very high expectations of this place because of the price but unfortunately was a little dissapointed. There was no doubt that the rooms were excellent, and the location was fantastic, but I was a little dissapointed with the food. Other's review of the food lead me to believe that it would be something really special, but I had much better food at other homestays where the cost was about a third of this place.

The host Anu was certainly friendly and helpful, and all of the staff were unobtrusive but still there when you needed them. Unfortunately they did take us across the river to the area where our driver would be picking us up a little too early. They saw a car and driver over there and assumed that it was for us, and when I said to Anu that it wasn't our driver, she said it most definitely was. I tried to argue about it but she was most insistent that we get on the boat - it meant a 15 minute wait in the heat of the day until our driver turned up.

Due to the rain we couldn't have a tour through the farm which sort of limited our activities a bit, as we had already had a backwaters cruise so there was very little point in doing a 2nd one. I find it very hard to relax and like something to do so I found my stay here a little frustrating, but if you are the type that can sit around for hours reading a book or staring at the river traffic then this place would be for you. On the river traffic, they start chugging past at about 05:00, so if you are a light sleeper then you will definitely be woken by it.

All in all, I feel a bit mixed about this place but I can see why some would and some wouldn't like it.

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — Lack of activities
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2008

This has got to be one of the most wonderful experiences of our stay in India. The women who ran this did so with so much love and enthusiasm and I couldn't find fault. The rooms were amazing and the food was fantastic. They organised our house boat, massage and taxi's for us. By the end we felt very relaxed and sad that we had to go. Well done ladies for such an excellent time.

• Liked — The beauty
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2008

Arrived by car and stood for a few minutes until the boat arrived to take us the short journey over to the island. The 6 bungalows are simply beautiful, right on the waters edge and so tranquil. It was the perfect end to a holiday and an ideal antidote to the hustle + bustle of Northern India.
The bungalows are exquisitely designed + extremely comfortable with views to die for from all the windows + no TV or noise.
The food is superb (Anu + her mother in law "mummy" do the cooking and are writing a cookbook on Southern Indian food).
Interesting short tour of the farm and evening sunset cruise both included and boat trips can be organised - we had a 2 hour cruise of the backwaters.
You can swim in the water directly in front if you dont mind all the floating vegetation (lillies etc) - I did keep my mouth closed as I dont know how clean the water is.
My wife went for 2 Ayuverdic massages at the local Ayuverdic hospital which she says were the best she has ever had (and the cheapest - £5 for an hour with 2 masseurs).
This was relatively expensive (for us) but worth every penny at the end of the holiday.

• Liked — the setting - peace, tranquility, views + food
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2007

Our taxi driver's jaw dropped as he set us down at the jetty for the boat to the farm - I think that says it all! After the chaos of Indian roads and villages, we glided over the lake to a beautiful heritage styled cottage with our own living room, bedroom and ensuite arranged around a small courtyard and seating area.

With a wonderful setting, beautiful architecture and excellent food at the communal table, we really enjoyed the total relaxation which is enforced by the secluded location. It's mention in Alistair Sawday's book "special places to stay" is well deserved.

If there is one tiny drawback it is that the Sawday listing seemed to have attracted some serious snobs - with our second evening being dominated by one party whose dinner conversation was solely aimed at pigeon holing the social status of the other guests. Fortunately the majority of the other guests were very pleasant and this was a minor hitch in an otherwise excellent 2 night stay.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2007

This place is truly amazing, one of the best places we've ever stayed in in the whole world! To begin with it is incredibly pretty - all 6 villas are tastefully decorated and are by the lake. The farm is on an island in the beautiful backwaters of Kerala (you can only reach it by country boat from the opposite shore) - so you can relax completely without the hustle and bustle of a city/village right next to you. Then the service is amazing, Anu and her family take really good care of you! All the food is home cooked (and delicious!) by Mummy, Anu can recommend and organise trips for you, or you can enjoy various activities around the farm (cooking lessons, farm walk, etc).
Will definitely be back here, I really hope this place remains this charming and genuine!!!

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
N. Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2006

Philipkutty's was without a doubt the highlight of our stay in India. I don't think any review can really do it justice. Anu and her family have created something that is really special. A warm welcoming atmosphere, a stunning location, and the most fantastic food you are ever likely to find in India. I will never forget sitting on our verandah by the edge of the river watching the sun rise. Boats looming out of the mist and gliding by, incredibly atmospheric music drifting across from the temple on the other side. It moved me to tears and is something I will never forget. I don't usually go back to the same place more than once as I there are so many places in the world I want to see, but beautiful Kerala is one I will return to, if only to revisit the incredible Philipkutty's.

• Liked — The family have created something incredible
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Philipkutty's Farm? Share your experiences!