“Caught an employee rummaging through my bags” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Fort Queen

Save Saved
You added Hotel Fort Queen to your Saves list
Hotel Fort Queen
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Manthra Road | Pandikkudy, Kochi (Cochin) 682002, India   |
Ranked #33 of 163 hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Caught an employee rummaging through my bags”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

On the 5th February 2013, after spend the morning out looking around kochi, I returned to the hotel to start checking out. Upon approaching my room I noticed the door was open. When I got to the door I stood there for about five seconds while watching an employee searching through my bag. She was not a maid, but had the uniform of the reception staff. I confronted her immediately. She knew she had been caught, and tried to give some silly excuse. I quickly called the manager up to the room. The manager could not explain her actions, but defended her saying she's been working there for 6 years. When I asked why she was looking through my bags, no one would give me an answer. After we checked she had not yet stolen anything, we checked out of the hotel. They tried to give me a comment card to fill out, but I told her I'm going to write a trip advisor report, as that's what I do for each place I stay. She kept begging me not to.

Finding an employee in your room searching your bags is the absolute worst thing that can happen in a hotel. They knew she was trying to steal, yet did not really do anything about it. They just tried to brush it under the rug.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
HotelFortQueen, General Manager at Hotel Fort Queen, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
'The incident happened is a Misunderstanding'

I am very sorry for the incident happened by the misunderstanding of Mr. Tom. We use to send one staff from the House Keeping department to take out the luggage for checkout. Mr. & Mrs. Tom were at the reception and Mrs. Tom handed over the key at reception to take out their luggage. The lady found in the room was not a receptionist; she is the House Keeping Executive. She wasn’t alone, has one trainee boy along with her. They entered in to the room and checked for any left out and found one toiletry bag inside the bathroom. They opened the luggage bag to put this inside, the same time Mr. Tom entered in to the room and found the bag was open and she was putting hand inside. He misunderstands and thought she was taking something from the bag but not.
He shouted and called to the Front office and asks them to come to the room and said she was trying to steal from my bag. They called me too to the room and i asked to staff in front of the guest what was exactly happened. She told she opened the bag to keep their toiletry bag inside. I explained the incident happened to him and please don’t misunderstand. He was asking again why she looking inside the bag but it was to keep the toiletry bag inside which found in the bath room. She has been working for last 4 yrs not 6 yrs. We know this is also a mistake that, should not open a bag without permission of a guest, but this was done to avoid any left outs.
I checked with my Front Office Manager also about the same, she was saying Mr & Mrs. Tom was standing and filling up the guest feedback form at the reception and he went to room to take something from the room.
I apologized for the incident happened and told him to check his bag before you leave the room. He said no, no need. But I hope his wife understood the situation and she hadn’t said anything and was asking to me that what she put inside was the toiletry bag. She realized the fact. We had not yet faced this type of incidents for last 8 yrs we are operating this hotel and we used to keep up our standard better. You can look to our other reviews also to know how we are. We once again sorry for the incident happened by misunderstanding.

Regards

BASIL V.Y
GENERAL MANAGER

115 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I have just returned from Cochin, where again I stayed at Hotel Fort Queen. .
I must again compliment the staff and Management Team of the Hotel I am never disappointed,the hotel is well run, the staff very friendly and the food delicious. I overheard some people say, it's the best lunch they had while in Cochin.
Keep it up Mr. Basil (Manager) and Praseetha (Front Office Manager) you and your team are doing a great job.
Christina Walker x

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Kharghar, Maharashtra, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Hotel Fort Queen is located at the centre of the top circumference of Fort Cochin or rather the travellers paradise. It is close to the beach of Fort Cochin (where you can see fishermen using the Chinese Net to catch fresh fish along the shore), Jewish Synagogue, International Police Tourism Museum, Spice Market, Ducth Cemetery, Matanchery Palace, Ferry Services, KSRTC Bus Stand, EVM Cinema Hall and Westside Hospital. All the places of interest are within a range of 1-2 kilometres from the hotel and could also be easily walked down.

The hotel is quite decent for the prices at which the accomodation is offered. The rooms are spacious and have all amenities which one would look for at a hotel. The washrooms were clean and were properly done with all the toileteries, and also has running hot water all round the clock.

The buffet break-fast (complimentary) is reasonably well and has a good mix of fruits and cereals. It has two restaurants, one indian and one chinese cuisine for room service / dine-in. There is a conference room for business purposes. It also has a bar.

The staff at the reception are quite polite and courteous in their approach towards customers, plus you have the free internet facility.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Pune
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This place was very good to stay as it is very nearby to many attractions which is easily accessible via auto. Room are spacious and clean also complimentary breakfast was also largely spread. Staff were very friendly and reception person also helped and gave map of attractions nearby.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

This place is great if you are looking at a budget stay. About 5-7 minutes auto ride from the main attractions, this hotel has spacious rooms and is clean. The room service is slow so i would not reccomend eating your main meals here. Our room stay included a complimentary breakfast which was a buffet option with plenty of dishes.

The staff is fine and we had no oroblem with them.

I would reccomend this for a budget stay.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

A personalised welcome. Though the entrance lobby is small, it is tastefully done. Rooms are large enough to give you sufficient space to move around. Bathrooms were neat and tidy. Located in a quiet corner of Kochi but in close proximity to city's numerous attractions. The food was fine. The availability of bicycles with safety gear would give a good start to explore Kochi streets in a leisurely manner. The staffs were more than eager to help us in ensuring our comfort. Over all a nice place to quietly spend some quality time with family.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

In my quest for "Austerity" friendly hotels this year, I booked the Forth Queen at Kochi, its a small clean hotel in the fort Kochi area. Its some where between a business hotel and a bed and breakfast. The rooms are smallish but very clean, with a similary clean but small bathroom. Not too noisy its on a quiet street with occasional traffic and small houses and shops no other tourist activity near by, it has two restaurants one of which specializes in indian and continental food - i had the indian food which was mostly kerala seafood - which was well prepared and delicious. The hotel lies some where between the Sea front (where you have the fishing nets, princess street and the basalica) and the mattencherry area which has the dutch palace and jewish synagogue, both are around 8-10 minutes drive by tuk tuk (30 rupees) and around half hours walk - i walked to both places... some may feel this is too far, as you do have lots of hotels of all kinds in both areas... especially the sea front has lots of boutique hotels. The staff at the hotel are extremely helpful and arranged my transportation, when i had some problem with my ATM card they also helped out. What i think is missing in this hotel is some extra frills and glitz, right now it is a very business/B&B kinda place - they should make it more kerala tourisim oriented which will take it to another level. But for a short non-frilly kochi stay this is a great place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Fort Queen? Share your experiences!