“Fantastic homestay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chiramel Residency

You added Chiramel Residency to your Saves list
Chiramel Residency
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   1 / 296 Lilly Street | Fort Cochin, Kochi (Cochin) 682001, India   |
Ranked #86 of 299 Kochi (Cochin) B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Fantastic homestay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Our family of 4fell under the charm of this beautiful colonial house!
The benefits are worthy of a hotel , sheets and towels impeccable, room very clean and new bathroom.
The welcome is very warm, a lovely lady reserves you a very personalize welcome.
She really listens to your needs with kindness.
This homestay is close to the tourist area, but it has the advantage of being quiet.
We highly recommend this beautiful place

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Last week, December 27th 2012, I called at this establishment, and asked to reserve two "heritage" rooms for January 4th. I spoke to the lady who seems to run the place. I explained that we were leaving Cochin that day but wanted one night's accommodation on Jan 4th before flying out. She offered the two rooms at 2000 rupees each, which was acceptable, and I asked to leave a bag there. This was all accepted and I was 100% sure that dates, times and rooms were clearly understood.
I returned 2 hours later, taking my bag in, and with the family in a taxi outside, en route to Varkala. The same woman denied that we had agreed the booking, then said I had asked for one non-aircon room. It was clear that this was all lies and she then had some story about a letter being opened with a request for rooms. I suspect that she had a customer for a longr period and so we were bumped off.
We were then left with a large bag, a taxi who wanted to set off for Varkala, and nowhere to stay on our return. We had to delay the journey.
Had this been an innocent mistake I would not be writing this, and I am very reluctant to complain. However I must say that in a Cochin where there there are so many people and places where you are really well looked after, I would advise travelers to avoid any dependance on this establishment.
Dr K Greenfield, UK

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I arrived in the middle of the night and the owner (lovely lady) still welcomed me with a bright smile. I also got some free water and she showed me two rooms. The rooms are very nice (AC, bathroom) and clean. Especially the bathrooms. Everything is in walking distance. Price was also alright (20 dollars a night). The place is overall very nice and it has a very nice atmospahere. I can strongly recommend it to any traveller, especially if you arrive late to Cochin.

Room Tip: Ask for the room upstairs!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

I had a lovely stay at Chiramel Residency. The owner of this homestay is a very sweet lady. And I have never seen cleaner rooms in India.

As a girl traveling by my self I felt very comfortable and safe here. The location is perfect and nice and quiet.

Next door you will find the best restaurant in Kerala. 'Dal Roti'

• Stayed July 2012
Canterbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

This is the first place we stayed while travelling around Kerala. Staff were very welcoming when we arrived and spoke to us about local activites but allowed us to sleep off our jet lag first before arranging anything.
The rooms were basic but very nice. Breakfast was lovely and was catered to the time we wanted it.
Ben allowed us to stay an extra 3 days with 24 hours notice each time. We would recommend this homestay to other travellers.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Stuttgart, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

Compared to other places in Kerala Chiramal Residency did not give good value for money. The rooms are OK, some of them are furnished in an old colonial style. The breakfast was the worst I got while travelling India for 5 month. The staff / owner were very unfriendly. They gave the impression that we are a disturbance. Far too expensive for what was offered. I had originally chosen a homestay accommodation on the internet. The telephone number given for this homestay (I have forgotten the name) was that of Chiramel Residency. But the people there did not pass us on to the homesaty but just offered us the rooms at Chiramal Residency. As we arrived in the middle of the night, we agreed to stay there. But the whole set up felt a bit strange. As we stayed only 2 days we put up with the situation. Next time I will look for a real homestay accommodation, because I found many good homestays in other places in Kerala.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012 via mobile

Its all been said in the other review I have read on this page. Chiramel is an architectural delight and the rooms are large and comfortable. The area is pleasant to walk around with a number of good and very good places to eat. We stayed for 3 days and were sorry to leave. As this was our first place to stay in India we were a little disappointed to not have Indian food for breakfast, but when we mentioned this ( hostess) Asha offered for us to have an Indian breakfast the next morning which we did- the best poori ( deep fried pancakes which swell up like balloons and are not at all fatty) served with a delicious but a bit too spicey potato dish. I bought a sari while in Kochi and Asha offered to show me how to put it on! Such a kind and motherly person, quiet and unassuming. It was a great beginning to our holiday.

• Stayed March 2012

Been to Chiramel Residency? Share your experiences!