“Gramam! All that what we wanted from a Kerala Gramam” 5 of 5 stars

Gramam Homestay
Neduveli House, Kochi (Cochin) 682007, India   |
Ranked #71 of 319 Kochi (Cochin) B&B and Inns
Bangalore
“Gramam! All that what we wanted from a Kerala Gramam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

A friend and self been to Jose's Gramam in Aug 2013 on a day with really bad storm. Finding Gramam was very easy and Jose had provided perfect directions.

We were warmly greeted by Jose at arrival and made us feel at home immediately. He gave us all the helpful instructions on what to do and where to find food while we were there. He also took our special requests and made sure all of them were fulfilled.

We stayed in the independent cottage that was closer to the backwater. It's really very large and can easily accommodate a large family if they wanted to stay together. The cottage came with all that you need - a large room with bed, living area, a keyboard, chess board, extra bed if required, a very functional kitchen and an open to the sky bathroom (its one of the most charming part of the place)

The view and setting of the cottage is breathtaking and one wouldn't want to leave the place while you are there. However; we spent 2 nights there and used Gramam as our base to explore around Fort Cochin in the stormy weather.

There is a good restaurant in the nearby resort, Heritage Methanam. They serve authentic Kerala cuisine and is also situated by the backwater, just 5 mins from Gramam. Other good options are in Fort Cochin and it took us about 20mins to get there in the stormy weather.

Breakfast is provided by the family and its truly a very homely breakfast. Jose made sure we were comfortable with the food; especially since I had my friend from Netherlands who were not familiar with Kerala cuisine.

I picked Gramam to give a glimpse of Kerala village living during our road trip to Kerala with my friend. It met all our expectation and we could not have asked for more.

We parted from Gramam telling Jose that we will be back later in the year!.

I highly recommend Gramam if you are looking for a no frills, peaceful stay by the backwater.

5 stars for everything and + 2 for the host.

Room Tip: There are no air conditioners in the room, but one would not need it. Best room - the one by the bac...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Putnam Valley, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My daughter and I spent 4 days at Jos's lovely cottage on the water at the tail end of monsoon season. We couldn't have had a better time. Jos also planned the rest of our trip around Kerala. He is a very capable, intuitive, inexpensive and low-key travel agent. Every activity he arranged was spot on and the drivers were perfect (and they had to deal with monsoon flooding, which wasn't a piece of cake). While at Neduveli House, we visited the village, the school, the prawn farm, had and evening boat ride and a yoga instructor that came at dawn for lessons, went to the elephant training center, etc. The food was also excellent and I was invited into the kitchen to watch the preparation of Kerala style jumbo prawns.
We are amazed and humbled by the charming people we met in Kerala, and we have Jos to thank for that.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

A really lovely place to just relax in and enjoy some time off.

The place is just lovely. Service is friendly and warm, food is of the very highest quality and the accommodation itself is extremely comfortable.

The fish curries we had here were unforgettable, and we will certainly be back.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We had a wonderful 3 nights at Jos's lovely homestay. The cottage is superb value - it's huge and the outside bathroom is fantastic. We loved having the space inside and the wonderful, gardens just in front of us. Lying in the hammock just by the backwaters, watching the fishermen and the beautiful sunsets was the highlight.
Jos provided fresh juices and traditional Kerelan breakfasts. We also had dinner there on our first night, which was excellent.
Jos was an extremely helpful and accommodating host and even stored our bag for us when we went on a road trip for a week. We would highly recommend this homestay for anyone who appreciates an off the beaten track experience.

Room Tip: Go for the cottage - it's fantastic!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sidmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

A fantastic place to stay we wish we had booked in for longer.Lie in the hammock and read or sit under the verandah with a beer in the evening. Bliss!! Fort Cochin is a tuk tuk ride away but locally there are plenty of shops and a hotel serving reasonable food just down the road.Early in the morning you wake to wonderful bird sounds and you can watch the early morning fishermen. We loved it.! Highly recommend

Room Tip: Take the bungalow a little more expensive but worth every penny.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

On the first day of the temple festival there was one elephant, on the second day there were two, and on the third there were three. Jos and his family told me to expect an additional elephant each day at the annual festival that took place just 200 feet from the bedroom where I slept, and just like everything they promised me, it came true.

Downtown Kochi may be just 20 minutes away, but the small village where Gramam Homestay is located is another world apart. I spoke with tourists who stayed in bed and breakfasts in Kochi, but they didn’t experience the real backwaters of Kerala. How could they know that on my first day, I watched two ladies wade by with pots, on their way to catch fish with their hands? Or that I was invited to a family’s small prawn farm for a private breakfast, where I watched two elderly ladies grasp palm fronds with their feet as they expertly braided leaves for a new thatched roof? Or that Jos graciously demonstrated for me how to wear a dhoti, allowing me to document the complicated series of steps with photographs?

Gramam Homestay offers the real deal in a charming village setting where the people are welcoming and kind, and blue Chinese fishing nets abound in waters that lap the edges of the property. I peeked in the cottage and it looked exquisite, but I stayed in the room that is part of the family home. It has a separate feel with its own entrance and private bathroom, with humble furniture and an authentic ambiance. Mosquitoes are about so repellent is a good idea to have on hand, although I didn’t bother with it.

When Jos learned of my interest in the arts, he ordered front row seats for me at a traditional dance performance in Kochi. But my wanting to watch the sunset from his hammock and spend time with his wife Lyma in the kitchen led me to decline. The only regret of my stay is that I may have let him down.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Gramam is a spectacular place to stay, and Jos is a wonderful host. The cottage is right on the water, with a hammock to chill out on. Very very quiet, you can watch the early morning fishermen whilst reading your book, bliss! The cottage itself is lovely, beautifully decorated, amazing outdoor bathroom, but could do with bigger towels, and nicer sheets on the bed!

Te only downside is that it is about 25 mins from fort cochin, so quite away to go to get into town...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Gramam Homestay? Share your experiences!