“my stay” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Raintree Lodge to your Saves list
Raintree Lodge
Fort Cochin, Kochi (Cochin) 682001, India   |
Ranked #24 of 165 hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
London, United Kingdom
“my stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

i stayed here for almost 2 weeks, great stay had fun, very clean, great service and fitted perfectly into my budget. i would recomend this place to everyone who want to visit fort kochi. the service was great, they helped me firmiliarise myself with the area and even lent me there bikes for free.
very much enjoyed my stay

Room Tip: best room is room 2
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

223 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We had a booking at Raintree Lodge, for 2 rooms, on 2 separate occasions. The first booking was at the beginning of November, after a 27 hour train journey from Mumbai to Cochin. I had read glowing reviews of the place, so decided to pay a bit extra and treat ourselves after such a long journey. On arrival we were told we had to wait for the person on reception to speak with the manager, but no-one could explain why. When the manager arrived about 10 minutes later, he told us that our rooms were no longer available as the previous occupants were unable to check-out, as one of them had a problem with their legs!! What problem? And why is this now our problem affecting our booking, meaning we have to find somewhere else to stay? After some debate, confusion and furrowed brows, it was explained to us that we had been moved to 2 rooms at the Cochin Club, which we were assured was of the same quality and price. Up to this point we had received no apology from Raintree staff however, they were friendly and the Cochin Club did prove to be very nice, with lovely and helpful staff.

Our second booking, again for 2 rooms, was made whilst we were in Cochin, face to face with the Raintree manager. We were heading south for a week but returning to Cochin, so we had arranged to leave some of our belongings at Raintree, which was very helpful. I telephoned Raintree 4 days before our second arrival to ask if our rooms would be available a day earlier, which the manager told me they would be, so we booked the extra night.
Upon our second arrival, we were greeted by a very rude man on reception who told us to stay in the taxi and told us we would not be staying at Raintree Lodge, but would be staying in their 2 bedroom apartment called "Eternity" just down the road. He then promptly told the driver where to go. When we got to the apartment, we asked why we had again been moved from the accommodation we had originally booked. The rude man told us it was because there were families staying at Raintree and as we are 2 couples, it would be better if we stayed at Eternity.
Having said this was not an acceptable explanation, we asked to speak with the manager. He first let us into the apartment, treating us like school children, telling us we are not allowed to use our own padlock for the street-facing door, or that under no circumstances were we allowed to let anyone else in the apartment. I would like to point out at this point that our ages range from 34-49, therefore capable of making our own informed decisions!
The manger then arrived and we conveyed our unhappiness about the situation. Again, no apology. He then told us that one of the air-con units in the rooms at Raintree was not working, which is why we had been moved. A completely different story which was offered by the rude man. We told the manager that we would not be paying the same price for Eternity, as although the accommodation appeared ok at first look, it was certainly not of the same quality as Raintree or the Cochin Club. We were then offered a discount.
I have to say that Eternity is a perfectly nice apartment, and right next door to some wonderful little cafes, but it is not what we booked and were paying for.

After the manager had left we went to look at our rooms. The first bedroom appeared clean and the bed had been made, but there were wets towels on the bathroom floor. In the second bedroom, the bed was filthy! The blanket had been pulled over an unmade bed, there was dirt and grit in the bed, the topsheet had been screwed up and stuffed under the pillows, the pillows smelt disgusting and they had big, yellow sweat patches on them. I went immediately to get the manager. He arrived at the apartment with 1 clean sheet and some clean pillow cases, and went to make the bed. I pointed out what I was unhappy about. Again, no apology! He then proceeded to not change the dirty sheets, but flip them over and re-make the bed with them!! And then could see nothing wrong with this when I pulled him up on it. We were all very tired and hungry at this point, so it didn't even occur to check the other bed, as it appeared ok. It was only when we returned from dinner gone 11pm, that when our friends got into their bed, they realised it was too dirty, with sweat patches on the sheets and hair in it!
The following morning I went to Raintree reception to again convey our unhappiness. I was greeted by the rude man again, who said that the cleaner was new and didn't know what she was doing. So I pointed out it should be his responsibility to check that she was performing her duties correctly and if she is not, to tell her what she should be doing. He then laughed when I said the service we had thus far received from Raintree was totally unacceptable. I'm sure you can imagine what my reaction was...

In the scheme of things, we didn't have a hideous time and the accommodation we stayed in was perfectly acceptable. My issue is with the service from the staff and the lack of apologies. Had this happened just the once, I would've brushed it off and wouldn't be writing this review. But it happened twice and we still had appalling service and a severe lack of apologies. It is such a pity as all 4 of us were looking forward to our stay at Raintree because of the reviews we had read.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The first impression of this awesome hotel is one of pure loveliness. the staff, the decor, the service and the food are just amazing. I have never been looked after so well by hotel staff. They were always very polite and serviceable. The facilites are extremely clean and fresh. I will definitely recommend this hotel to all my friends and will most certainly return next year!

Room Tip: The garden cottage are just pure luxury but so worth it!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Having stayed in Old Harbour last year, I knew Raintree, its sister hotel, was going to be the perfect place to stay for five days.

The hotel is immaculate and the housekeeping staff, in particular Chechi, were professional and friendly. The room itself was light, airy and its decor was stylish.

Boshi was incredibly helpful and welcomed us with such a smile! He gave us fantastic advice on places to visit and places to eat- Kashi's breakfasts are delicious! John was also wonderful, so helpful and could not do more to help us.

Definitely a hotel I would return to!

• Stayed August 2012
perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

nice and clean with no too many frills but at a good rate.good middle range accomodation.i'll goback on the next trip.very .close to center town.very friendly staff.ask for info about visitig places around.good tips...

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We had a large well appointed room with excellent furnishings. The hotel was very clean and well maintained. The staff we found to be courteous and helpful and obtained a reasonable car with driver for us, for a day. The only disadvantage was breakfast, having to leave the hotel to find somewhere.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Gothenburg, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I have stayed at the Raintree Lodge many times. It is reasonably priced but just that cut above other cheap Indian hotels. It is tasteful but simple and comfortable. Edgar, who owns the Old Harbour Inn, as well, has seen to this. Go to the Kashi Art Cafe for breakfast - just a short walk from the hotel. I prefer the upstairs rooms with a balcony overlooking the street.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Raintree Lodge? Share your experiences!