“good food,good ambiance” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Old Courtyard Hotel

You added Old Courtyard Hotel to your Saves list
Old Courtyard Hotel
1/371-372, Princess Street | Fort Cochin, Kochi (Cochin) 682001, India   |
Ranked #38 of 175 Hotels in Kochi (Cochin)
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chennai (Madras), India
“good food,good ambiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

we had a variety of dishes that belong to kerala cuisine,fish,beef and chicken.We all enjoyed the food and the setting.It's one of those old colonial bungalows-restored with a courtyard,was too hot to sit in the courtyard , so we sat in the dining space around the court.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Antwerpen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The rooms are nice and very clean but everything is a little old. My mother complained that the bags were not brought up to our room (2 stairs - she's getting a little older), but i'm not sure you can expect that of a hotel in this price range. The only thing we didn't like that much is that the waiter at breakfast barely spoke english and that there was no fresh fruit juice or toast with butter available. It has it flaws but overal good hotel for the price!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

While I didn't stay at Old Courtyard, I enjoyed quite a few delicious meals sitting outside admiring the garden, and the art work adorning the arches.

What made dining al fresco so enjoyable at Old Courtyard Hotel was the delicious, traditionally prepared Kerala cuisine. Various Masala spices and curry leaves enhanced the piquant aromas and flavors of the many dishes made in the bustling kitchen.

While I am not sure about when I will next visit Kochi, I know I will remember the genuine hospitality and wonderful experiences I enjoyed while dining under the stars at Old Courtyard Hotel.

Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed one night here. The bedroom was up a tight spiral staircase in the courtyard. the room was fairly small but all was OK - We didn't eat there. Interesting area around - you can walk easily to fish market and see the fisherman using the Chinese fishing nets. Staff were helpful.
Breakfast of egg +toast - as usual was offered
I dont know what the place cost as it was arranged through an Indian travel agent

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were staying nearby and came in one night for a meal. The food was very tasty and the service was excellent, with mosquito coils provided on request. I had one of the combo fishes with the local fish which was yummy and a huge portion. Very reasonably priced. Lovely traditional décor.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Svendborg, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed in room 7 and 8 both was great. The location of the hotel is really good.
The rooms are really charming and the hotel has a very interesting history.
The restaurant is good, we had four different dishes for dinner everything was good. For breakfast there's one indian breakfast dish that changes every day... plus a more western breakfast with egg and so on didn't try that since I ate the Indian breakfast when I was there

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

As many others have pointed out, the Old Courtyard Hotel is a very charming heritage hotel, but you must know what comes with the territory. First of all, there are a number of flights of stairs - all of them quite old and some quite uneven and cracked - in order to get to your room. So this is not a hotel for the mobility-challenged.

Second, being an old hotel, the plumbing system is, as you can imagine, left wanting. The water pressure in the bathrooms on the top floor was terrible - we showered in what was literally a trickle of water, and it took us some time to figure out how to work the hot water as well. At the end of a long day traipsing around Kochi, when you return to your room hot and dusty, sweaty and sticky, all you want is a good power shower, and you definitely won't get that at the Old Courtyard. I keep wondering if the management took some downtime for the hotel to install a modern water system, it would improve the experience immeasurably.

Here's another downside to staying in an old building: the walls are paper thin and the floorboards creak like nothing. I could hear my neighbors talking, showering, sneezing, clipping nails….and whenever they walked around their rooms, my room floor reverberated as well. At night in bed I could feel the vibrations from the floorboards as my neighbors walked around their rooms. My room faced the street, and there is very little noise insulation, so you can hear the street dogs barking at 2am and the traffic starting up around 6 in the morning. The windows are also tiny, so if you have claustrophobia, you may not be comfortable in the rooms, which are also filled with dark, antique furniture that adds to the 'gloominess'. Oh, I should mention - the bed I had was very hard as well. If you are a light sleeper, consider carefully…

Wifi was spotty, and erratic. It was down for the first day that I was there. Amenities provided were a bare minimum - bar soap and towels in the bathrooms. Good thing I brought my own toothbrush and toothpaste, shower gel and shampoo.

What this property has going for it is its excellent location: well placed to walk to the fishing nets, parade ground etc, and many good cafes in the vicinity. Its staff are also wonderful - quick to help, and very fast to rectify any shortcomings, for instance, when they did not clean my room on the first day. The staff are all warm and friendly and you feel like family here. Unfortunately I am not sure that that will be enough to warrant a return to this hotel - I will certainly consider it but will also seek other options. It really felt more like a homestay than a hotel, and it certainly did not come cheap. For me, creature comforts are so important in the heat here in Kochi, and I would rather pay a little more to guarantee a good shower or bath and a good night's sleep at the end of the day.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
donyarosa, Manager at Old Courtyard Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Madam,
Thank you for your feedback. I have spoken to the staff regarding your issues. As for not cleaning your room, unless with your expressed permission we do not open the rooms with the mmaster key to clean, as some guests do not appreciate that. As you had your key with you all the time, we have to go and clean your room when you are there or you came back.
We had also checked all the plumbing system in the top rooms and they are all working fine. The showers do not provide you with jet stream of water but a gentle and constant flow which is not a trickle as you have stated. We have even called the plumber to check everything.
As for luxury add ons, that is not provided in the rooms. We are not a 5 star hotel.
It is difficult for one to appreciate the effort put into keeping the place as authentic as it can be, as a heritage hotel, without destroying the intrinsic beauty of the place. If one is used to modern buildings with all luxurious trappings included, then definitely this hotel is not suited to that person.
It is easy to destroy heritage and architectural beauty. But preserving one is a challenge.
I feel that you should perhaps have booked a 5 star hotel or a boutique hotel around the area to suit your needs. And with prices 3 to 4 times the rate charged by us, I am sure that all your needs would have been catered to.
Wishing you the very best.
Management

Been to Old Courtyard Hotel? Share your experiences!