How would you like to be on luxury liner of 900 Acres?This was the feeling we got during our two days stay at Taj Malabar Hotel on the Lord Welligton made Island, in Cochin. My wife and daughter are both afraid of the sea and the sea sickness it gives them when they are on a ship or boat cruise. Here we felt no need to go on a boat, as the Hotel amid waves seemed to be a Cruise.
Travelling from Patna. The Mumbai Cochin flight took some two hours. The Go Air Business class had nothing special about it however we were treated to the magnificence of skies, clouds, coastline and Konkan Railway tracks giving us a thrills meant only for the gods. Unlike the North Indian cities Cochin is a neat city considering the mingling of the land, and water.
After an hours drive in Innova we reached our Hotel Taj Malabar. The area was rather desolate with wide roads and almost no one in sight. The luggage was quickly collected by the Hotel staff. As we stepped in the Hotel entrance two hostesses greeted us. One of them put a Tilak and ongoing Music,and another gave us a flower and led us to the reception lounge and led to seat us. This was followed by cold towel and a welcome nectar drink. One hostess brought a folder for us to register our entry and filled it up for us fr signatures. Quite good anyway as we were told that we were being upgraded. I requested for the top view floor rooms which was readily changed.
The room was standard sized but done up well, with view to the sea. We slept late viewing the sea the boats and backwaters, and ships and boats. and woke up and strolled the Hotel garden wit Jetty for Boating.
Breakfast, spread was a treat of God knows so many varieties. We suddenly felt hungry and took several helping, helped by restaurant stewards, until we felt we could have no more, All local vegetarian food, done up with fresh vegetables from the Hotels own garden, and aroma of exotic local spices,all very ethenic.
Back to our room, the toilet wall was glass, and we had been explained how to roll up the screen up or down for privacy. The toiletries were all FOREST ESSENTIALS products.
We had requested for a harbor side room, which was not available. The soap in the bathtub made it slippery and when we requested for a room without bathtub in view of difficulty. We were told that only the suites had both, which we said would be very expensive. Our hostess Ms. Sen, from Nagaland came to ask us how we were,as we explained the problem she went to check with Reception and called back after five minutes to say that we please shift to a Harbor side suite which had just been vacated. Seeing the same we were thrilled to the bones and we were told we were being upgraded again, this time to Harbor facing rooms. Not sure we said we saw the suite and barely managed to say "thank you".
Then there was the complimentary High Tea and a one hour boat cruise. Next day we would have liked to extend our stay but reaching Munnar on time prevented us from staying back.
We loitered in the Hotel till noon before we checked out. Luggage was promptly carried to our waiting car, as we settled the bills, our hostess gave a gift of Cloves, Elaichi, Pepper,and Dalchini gift packed.
As my wife and daughter came down the hostess greeted them and presented each of them with a bead garland of baked clay.
The luggage neately stowed in the car as the car moved I saw a number of staff all lined up, in the portico waiving good bye, Namaskaar by our hostess. I Felt over awed as I rose from my front seat in the car, and we all waived back their greeting. As we came out of the Hotel gate on the road my daughter spokeout "WELCOME Acha Ho Jata Hai. Itna Acha SEE OFF or Vidayee Nahi Dekhi.
This is truely Redefining Hospitality, Excellence and care at Taj Malabar Hotel, Cochin,
We felt WE HAD BEEN WELCOMED TO LOOT THE TAJ ! again sometime.
- Also Known As:
- Vivanta By Taj - Malabar Hotel Kochi (Cochin)
- Vivanta By Taj - Malabar Hotel
- Taj Malabar Cochin Kochi
- Taj Malabar Cochin Hotel Kochi
- Taj Malabar
- Vivanta By Taj - Malabar Kochi (Cochin), India - Kerala
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on Willingdon Island with a magnificent view of Cochin harbour, Vivanta by Taj - Malabar is a fine balance between yesterday and tomorrow. Our lobby is a unique mix of chic and classic. The heritage wing, built in 1935, reflect the inherent beauty of Cochin. And the tower wing houses newly renovated guestroom suites, each a delicate mix of the classic with the contemporary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Tablet Hotels, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Vivanta by Taj - Malabar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.