“A Bit Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

91-98474 76750
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Backwater cruise in a shaded canoe boat. This will offer you a special experience. This trip would be superb for those who are willing to be away from sound and noises of busy life.. We operate this cruise in a calm and quiet area where you can know about the insides of village.The trip starts on early morning 6:30 ans end on evening 3:30 and it includes breakfast and lunch for the day and you can enjoy activities like feeding and bathing elephant.
San Diego, California
17 attraction reviews
“A Bit Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I'll start by saying that Stanley is a great guy, really nice, and setting up the tour and everything was easy as pie. Additionally, everything about the tour was as described, there wasn't anything "wrong" with the tour per se, but it was just a little bit of a let-down, possibly because we had really high expectations after seeing the reviews here. For reference, we did the 2 day, one night Munnar trip.

The thing we liked the least was the overall lack of direction we got during the tour. When paying for a driver/tour guide, we are used to them saying things like "Ok, now we're going to get some breakfast, and then it's a 30 minute drive to the elephant washing" and then after the elephant washing, being informed of what's next. We got none of that - it was a disconnected string of driving from place to place, we really didn't know what was coming next, how long it would be, or how long it would be before we got to Munnar. Again, the driver wasn't rude, and this wasn't "wrong" I guess, it just gave a feel of disorganization and "are we there yet" that could have been avoided.

The guesthouse was fine, there was no wifi though which was a bummer, though we didn't ask about it ahead of time, I just assumed it would have wifi. Dinner was good and served communally with the rest of the guests, so it was nice to sit and talk while we ate. Breakfast, however, was a disappointment both days. On the first day, the "breakfast" provided was a cold piece of scrambled egg and two pieces of toasted bread, plus a banana. The second day, at the homestay, it was a dosa of some kind and I hate to say it but it was the worst dosa I've had in India (and I've had a LOT). The places we stopped for lunch along the way were tasty and cheap, which was nice.

Pick-up and drop-off was good, we flew out early the next day so Stanley arranged for our driver to drop us at a hotel near the airport, a suggestion we really appreciated. All in all the tour was fine, and I don't know if it's better than the competition but it wouldn't be top-of-mind as far as a recommendation if friends/family were visiting Kochi.

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“An Experience not to be missed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Having travelled through India my husband I wanted to experience a night on a houseboat, searching the internet it was easy to find a motorised boat along with the other tourists but by luck my husband came across Wilson’s Tours and the excellent recommendations for his punted boats. We booked our dates via email and must say that Stanley was prompt answering all queries unlike the motorised tourist companies. He didn’t ask for any deposit and in fact he asked us to pay once our trip was complete, which we found to be extremely trusting and a little unnerving as other commentators have felt.

We were picked up from our hotel and driven to a quiet little backwater village and introduced to our crew and boat. The boat itself is basic but clean and tidy and the food was amazing especially when we realised the cook had just one gas ring to prepare on. We were quietly and slowly punted through the backwaters giving us time to take in the beautiful scenery and enjoy the peace and quiet. Despite the language differences all the crew members attempted to talk to us. Dawson was extremely informative and ensured that we didn’t miss anything on route. I had the chance to try punting – it is a lot harder than it looks!

At the end of the day we moored up at the village and a superb dinner was prepared for us. I must admit my husband and I had completely underestimated how rural the location would be and that the local wildlife would be in abundance so if you are unsure about insects and geckos this might not be for you. Being in our late forties this is the first time we had experience a sense of back packing and have to say it was something we are so pleased we did. One of the crew members slept on the boat to ensure our safety, which was very much appreciated. Dawson and his colleagues took excellent care of us and we could not recommend them more highly. On a final note this will be the best value trip you will take in India – try it.

Visited January 2014
Kandy, Sri Lanka
“Magical journey into the back waters”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

From the very beginning, when we were greated by our tuk tuk driver at the bus stop, the experience was fantastic. The two boat steerers were accommodating and very knowledgeable on the landscape and wildlife. I would choose this silent boat journey over a motorised engine any day of the week. It was so relaxing we felt like we were back at home. The food was the best that we tasted in Kerala, and that was some achievement! Hats off to the chef, he did a great job. I only wish his English was good enough to give us his amazing breakfast coconut pancakes! Five stars all round. Spot on.

Berlin, Germany
“I enjoy his tours! He offers a very helpfull service! :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

There a many offers in Cochin who organise Tours. I spoke with some of them. But I went with Stanley Wilson!
I am a photographer so I was searching where to go to find beautiful motives for my photography.
Mr. Wilson organise two Tours for me. First I went for 2nights an 3 days to Munnar, what a great Place. Two weeks later I went to a beautiful place in the Backwaters.

Both locations where absolutely great! I really enjoy the places, the food and the helpfull service I got.

It is my pleasure to give 5 Stars for Stanley Wilson Day Tours.
No complaints at all... :)

P.S.
Sorry for my basic english. I am from Germany and english is not my native language... ;-)

Visited January 2014
Lyon, France
“Seascape Beach Homestay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Mr Wilson understood very well what i looked when he recommanded to me to come in this homestay near Kannur: Seascape Beach Homestay. The food is fantastic and the owner does the most he can for help and be pleasant. You are in a little paradise here! This is a wonderfull place ! Quiet and peacefull ! I am stay 2 weeks and i am very happy