“A real home from home!” 5 of 5 stars

Eden Garden Heritage Homestay
10 / 1335, Varekat, Rose Land | Amaravathy, Kochi (Cochin) 682001, India   |
Ranked #67 of 299 Kochi (Cochin) B&B and Inns
London
“A real home from home!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

We stayed at Eden Garden for 3 nights and had a wonderful time. We were travelling in South India with our 2 year old and it was our first experience of a home-stay. We didn't really know what to expect but were so glad we chose to stay here.
It was such a refreshing change from being in a hotel and our toddler really enjoyed having the freedom to roam in Judith and Mel's beautiful garden and playing with their lovely daughter. Breakfasts and dinners were fabulous-fresh, home made and plentiful.
Nothing was too much trouble for Judith who made a special (mild!) early dinner for our son so we were able to enjoy a peaceful dinner once he was in bed. The whole family were very kind and welcoming and at one time or another all took a turn at watching our son, showing him the exotic birds in the garden and generally keeping him entertained whilst we ate or got ready to go out for the day!
The location is ideal for exploring Fort Cochin and Judith can suggest interesting things to do and see and book tickets for the Kathakali performances which are well worth a visit.
Remember that this is a homestay not a hotel so the rooms/bathrooms are basic but if you adjust your expectations accordingly you won't be disappointed with a stay at Eden Garden.

Room Tip: Our ground floor room had a huge kitchen with a large fridge-ideal if you are travelling with babies...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

A great experience I always remember when I stay in homestays! Perfect blend of privacy and friendliness you need when you are travelling alone! Nicely tucked away from the main road!

Room Tip: Try and take the room on the first floor for a better view and more privacy!
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

We stayed here for four nights in December 2011 with our two daughters (4 and 1). It was our second stay at Eden Garden; our first visit was in January 2009.

Both times we had a very enjoyable stay. Judith, Mel and their family are very welcoming and happy to help whereever they can. We absolutely loved the Kerala breakfast and dinner! Definitely among the best food we've had in India!!

The room and bathroom were also fine and are fitted with mosquito screens. Judith and Mel provided an extra bed for the children.

The garden is lovely and there are plenty of birds. There are also some rabbits which our children liked to feed. As elsewhere in Fort Kochi, there are plenty of mosquitos though so repellent is a must if you want to enjoy the garden.

Overall, we had a great stay at Eden Garden and would definitely come back.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

I'm so glad I chose this place for the two nights I stayed in Fort Cochin. My room was on the upper floor where I had an incredible view of the little garden and pond in their compound. The room itself was very comfortable, clean, well-equipped and of decent size. The bathroom too was very clean with all the basic amenities and there is Internet access in the common room, . The best thing about Eden Garden homestay of course is their lovely garden with all the birds in it, the great location in the heart of Fort Cochin and Mel & Judith who make the most excellent, warm, friendly, attentive, efficient and helpful hosts. I had complimentary breakfast included with my reservation, and the morning when I needed to start off very early, Judith actually went through the trouble of putting together a huge, delicious South Indian breakfast for me at 5:30 in the morning, which was just incredibly sweet of her. I managed to loose my way on the way back late evening and Mel drove over to pick me. I was very touched by their random acts of kindness...
A great place to stay especially if it is your first visit to Fort Cochin and I warmly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

We stayed here at the beginning and end of our 3 week trip in Kerala. Judith, Mel and family were very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. The fantastic breakfasts and delicious meals Judith cooked for us were a highlight of our holiday. The room was immaculately clean, service provided by Judith was of excellent high standard, she made us feel very comfortable and we felt sad to leave the warmth of the family. The location is off the main road, very easy and pleasant walk to fort cochin centre. We did walk to Matancherry, spice markets once but it is only a short rickshaw ride away if its too hot! This was the most hospitable and friendly homestay we stayed in on our trip. Highly recommended, we would definitely return.

Room Tip: We stayed in the upstairs room which was clean, private and had air conditioning.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

We spent a fair amount of time in Kochi and during our time we stayed at 3 different home stays. After our stay at Eden we looked at many other home stays (we made sure to really check the rooms and locale). I will start with the positive: the garden is beautiful, the space is very quiet and the family can be very nice and helpful.
We stayed at the Eden and it seemed as if we were the only guests although we were told the two upper floor rooms were taken (we never saw anyone come, go, eat or even a light go on?) I mention this because the first floor room is really dark, humid and funky (you can run the a.c. but then it's blowing freezing air over your face all night since it's directly over your head) and it is probably a little nicer on the second floor. The location is far away from the "town center" and good restaurants (a far walk or a short tuk tuk). And to top it off we were offered, and yes I am saying offered, an extra mattress (that we never used since it was as hard as a rock) and Judith tried to charge us 500 rupees a night for when we paid our bill (which we cut short in hopes of finding a nicer spot). All this for 3000 rupees a night and mega-mosquitos all the time.
We looked closer to town and found many other options for 1/2 to 3/4 of the price that were far nicer. I wish I could be more positive but as a family who uses trip advisor I wanted to be honest.

Room Tip: I would stay on the upper floors and haggle!!!! if you can.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Copenhagen, Staden Kobenhavn, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

I had a lovely two days in the Eden Garden Homestay in the beginning of November 2011. Judith is a caring and warm hostess that makes sure that the guests have clean room, tasty food, kind conversation and all the good advice that they desire. The old house is a gem with the beautiful garden full of green palms and plants, little pond and the birds visiting. The whole family is engaged in the visitors well being and makes sure that the visit is a success. This is the nicest place that I have been in on my route through Kerala and I warmly recommend it to anyone who wants good value for money. You will get a good room with Internet access in the common room, meals in category "good and plenty" and you will meet a very friendly and welcomming Indian family as well as other travellers and enjoy the beautiful garden.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to Eden Garden Heritage Homestay? Share your experiences!