“Super Friendly and Helpful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anna Homestay

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kochi (Cochin)
Anna Homestay
You added Anna Homestay to your Saves list
1/686 K.L. Bernard Master Road, Kochi (Cochin) 682001, India   |
Canada
“Super Friendly and Helpful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

Hi fellow travellers,

We stayed at Anna's our first night in India. I wanted something with a solid reputation after a succession of 36.5 hours of flight/wait time. I was able to book online and confirm the reservation within hours of having written. When we arrived late at night our room was waiting for us. The family run guest house was warm and welcoming from the start. The rooms are clean, has reliable plumbing, and breakfast is included in asking price (which for us was 1500Rs/night). The location is not so far out of the way that you cannot get to all there is to see easily, but also is far enough away to guarentee a nice, peaceful, quiet ,and uninterrupted sleep. It is well run by the unintrusive and extremely helpful/delightful couple, Christine and Francis. Anna (the Homestay's namesake) is their charming little girl. If you want a sure thing with no hassles, this is IT.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

After having traveled for two weeks on my own, I felt like in seventh heaven when I arrived at Anna's Homestay in the middle of the night on Dec. 26th. Christina, Francis and the kids were very welcoming, openminded and helpful in every possible way. They do not only provide a clean and lovely place to stay in Fort Kochi but also make their guests feel like they have just come home. I did not share many experiences with other travelers in Kochi thus I don't know what other nice home stays there may be discovered in the city but even if I had known other nice places I would not even for a second have thought about shifting from Anna's Homestay. Also the other guests at Anna's were very friendly so that a warm atmosphere of family life and the wish to spend time together emerged. I would love to come back to Anna's as it was definitely the best place to stay during my entire journey throught South India. Maybe I will even bring my mum next time as she would surely enjoy a backwaters tour, Ayurvedic treatments, Christina's delicious food and, most of all, the cozy and homely atmosphere at Anna's. I strongly recommend staying at Anna's when you are in Kochi.

Gigi, Germany

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
mt_nomad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Anna's and would gladly go there again. We're in the "upper budget" class of travelers, and found the value to be outstanding. The proprietors were helpful with suggesting local activities (though not pushy) and were happy to share their family with us. We really enjoyed the relaxed feel, the cleanliness and the healthy food. Christine helped us learn how to cook a few dishes - a basic dal, some form of kadai paneer, veggie pulao, aloo gobi, curried shrimp and chappati. They all turned out tasty and the price for the cooking class was very reasonable. Spending a few days in Kochi (one more than we had originally intended!) was a great recharge for the rest of our trip. Thanks!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
new ork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

Nothing else to say except: great people, very very nice rooms,very central and quite, clean house, a perfect stay. me and my wife loved it there and absolutely recommend it!

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

We had an absolutely fab time staying here. What we had decided was to spend 1 night resting our tired legs but what turned out to be a 5 night stay at a place that had the most beautiful ,lovely people. Christine and Francis were so wonderful and welcomig from the minute we dragged our tired bodies through the door to our teary goodbye at 5 in the morning. We had great food very comfortable room's and most of all we really ejoyed their 2 children whom we became very close to. We are definately going back and encourage everyone who visits Fort Cochi to stay here but remember to have some extra time as you may never want to leave!!

• Liked — people and atmosphere
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
zug
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

A very friendly family who welcomes you in a lovely house. Upstaires it's spaceous guestrooms with a common area and a relaxing little balcony, downstairs a living room where you meet the family and have interesting discussions, exchange experiences or use internet.
The family is very helpful with everything you wish to do or see. They give you useful advises, organise trips/taxis and courses.
We felt really at home and not to forget the delicious meals they prepared for use. And if you wish, they even offer you cooking lessons for traditional kerala dishes.
Thanks a lot - we had an awesome stay.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Wherever I lay my hat
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

Staying with Francis, Christina and their daughters at Anna Homestay was much more than just a clean and friendly place to stay... it really was a home, and it didn't take long for me them to make me feel truly part of it.

Francis & Christina are overwhelmingly hospitable. They've lived outside of India and are familiar with westerners idiosyncrasies. Christina is an exceptional cook, and whipped up some delicious dinners and breakfasts while I was there. Home made cooking from the fridge, and it was delicious.

I expected to stay only a couple nights, but ended up staying for almost two weeks. They became my base for short trips in the area, and went out of their way to help me get things done.

The house is close to all the sights and bustle of old Cochin. It's tucked away in an alley which is a little hard to find, but makes it nice and quiet. There isn't a view, but they have a couple balconies that are enjoyable to sit out on in the evening. Three rooms, with clean bathrooms and nice furniture.

As this is a homestay, it isn't for everyone. If you're looking to save money, or just hang out with other backpackers/tourists, then go elsewhere. But if you're open to being part of a Keralan family for a short while, and have the respect to treat it like one of your own relatives home, then call them.

All in all, my stay here was one of the most memorable and fun parts of my travels round India. I heartily recommend Anna Homestay.

Stayed December 2008, traveled solo

Been to Anna Homestay? Share your experiences!