After staying at an underwhelming hotel in Fort Cochin for a night, we met a couple that were staying at Green Woods Bethlehem that were raving about their homestay. We went to have a look and went to get our bags straight away. Sheeba and Ashley, the hosts welcomed us with open arms (literally) and in the end, we didn't want to leave. Here's what you need to know if you are thinking about staying here.
1. The hosts. Wonderful! You will not receive a warmer welcome anywhere else. The comments in the lonely planet about Sheeba being ready to sign your adoption papers when you walk through the door are justified! Sheeba rang around to get us discounts at our next destination, organised an ayurvedic massage for us and couldn't have been more helpful. She fed us cake when we arrived and kept us topped up with tea/water at every available opportunity.
2. The rooms are excellent. We looked at quite a few before deciding on the one that we wanted. There is a fun banana leaf shack on the roof (very romantic), a room with a 4 poster bed on the ground floor and several newly renovated rooms as well. We picked a triple room which was really nice, very clean and exactly what we needed.
3. The roof top terrace. This is where you can find hot drinks all through the day and eat breakfast every morning. It's fantastic to be sitting up in the tree canopy and watch the bird/wildlife carrying on around you.
4. Just a "heads up", but Green Wood Bethlehem is a little bit out of the way. Fort Cochin is quite a compact place and if you don't mind a 15/20 minute walk, this won't bother you at all. It was perfect for us, as we really enjoyed being in residential areas and seeing the "real" India.
5. Leaving. You won't want to...
This is the cheapest place that we stayed during our 3 weeks in India but in my view, the best. If you decide to stay there, you will get a wonderful welcome, tasty food and fantastic value for money. You won't be disappointed, I promise!
- Also Known As:
- Green Woods-Bethlehem Hotel Kochi (Cochin)
- Green Woods-Bethlehem Kochi (Cochin), India - Kerala