“Great escape from day to day routine!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gateway Hotel

You added Gateway Hotel to your Saves list
Gateway Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   K M Road | Opposite Pavitravana, Jyothinagar Post, Chikamagalur 577102, India   |
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Chikamagalur
“Great escape from day to day routine!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We visited the resort in September and the resort which is usually always booked, was surprisingly empty on the day we checked in. We had a garden facing room which was very nice. The Taj touch always makes you feel quite pampered and like royalty and so we enjoyed the short and sweet stay. We had the two meals and stay deal. On the day we checked in, they did not have a buffet but we cud order from the menu. My hubby tried the non-veg Malabar meal while I stuck to my regular bland veg stuff. Both were good. From the next day onwards, the buffet was available. As always, the buffet was absolutely awesome with a decent variety and very very filling. Most folks had checked in on the next day. The hot water in the loo was piping hot. The AC was perfect. Hubby wondered if we should extend our stay, but we opted against it though we really enjoyed the stay and all the pampering.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms at the rear end of the property are better
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
manvendrar, General Manager at Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Madam,
Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Chikmagalur !!!
I would like to thank you for your recent patronage and for taking time out in giving us your valuable feedback with regard to your recent stay with us at The Gateway Hotel Chikmagalur. I look forward in welcoming you back to our hotel on your next trip to Chikmagalur

Manvendra Rathore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Manipal, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

good location food bad
activities available
staffing ok
swimming pool not that good
services is very bad
rooms better than average
surrounding also fair
need to improve alot to keep pace wth time........................................................................................................................................................................................................

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
manvendrar, General Manager at Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Chikmagalur !!!
I would firstly like to thank you for your recent patronage and for taking time out in giving us your valuable feedback with regard to your recent stay with us at The Gateway Hotel Chikmagalur.
Kindly do accept my sincerely apologies for the unfortunate food experience. I would like to request you if you could kindly elaborate your experience in regards to the hotel food where I can then take this matter up very seriously with our Chef and the kitchen team and immediately enforce corrective action.
It is of great importance to us when a guest takes time to let us know about our product and service and in this instance service as well as product which you recently experienced. It is only in this way that we are able to step back from our day to day operations and look at any comments-both constructive and positive to ensure that we make the necessary changes in our operations and that this does not happen again.
Your patronage to The Gateway Hotel Chikmagalur is extremely important to us and I request you to treat this incident as an aberration and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next trip to Chikmagalur.
Kindest Regards,
Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed at a cottage here and I should say it was pretty comfortable. The food was not upto the mark. We stayed here actually to go around the places nearby, not really as a resort stay. So we did not try any activity or even the pool. But the reason I wanted to add this review is that my elder one lost her gold ear ring the first night we got there. I happened to have a headache and saw that it was missing just after reaching the restaurant. I went searching everywhere in the night wherever she went and could not find it. Then one of the staff who had helped us settle in our room was walking by with another staff and looking at my worried face searching for something asked me what was wrong. I told him I had informed the front desk, but the guy immediately informed the person next to him and asked him to look as well. The guy just started looking down and immediately found it (what can I say .. he was lucky and found it in 1 minute when I was searching for almost 30). I Can't thank the staff enough for taking accountability and being willing to help. It really saved my night (and probably the entire trip because this would have been at the back of my mind all through if I did not find it)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
manvendrar, General Manager at Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Madam,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. It has been our constant endeavor to provide consistent service in order to exceed your expectations. Your comment about the overall services and the honesty shown by the hotel staff delights me and it gives me great pleasure to share your kind thoughts with the team members and I am sure they will be delighted to hear it.
It is of great importance to us when a guest takes time to let us know about our product and services which you recently experienced. It is only in this way that we are able to step back from our day to day operations and look at any comments-both constructive and positive to ensure that we make the necessary changes in our operations.
I have noted your keen observations in regards to the food and we assure you that on your next visit you shall find more variety and better standard as we have recenly changed the menu .

We greatly value your patronage and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back, in the near future and assuring you of the best attention at all times.
Warm Regards
Bangalore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

It was a pleasant stay with my husband last month. Our kids enjoyed the magic show, swimming pool, and the BF. The service is an average comparing to other taj hotels. The staffs are not much cooperative to our needs. Main attraction of the hotel is in a good scenario. At night we can see bighting view of chikmagalur town from the hotel. We got a Mountain View category room.

I think they are promoting more commercial activities inside the property..for ex...when we checking in some of the staffs are canvassing us for ayurvedic massage with a palm let...when we move somebody grabbing to gift shop...one man asking for coffee tour trip...and the magician is trying to attract us etc... But worse after a long journey from bangalore we wants to be refreshed and are not interested to be disturbed like these kind of activities. The food was excellent and thanks for the chef. Next day we gone for coffee tour was a good experience. The guide girish was not able to speak english..so we faced little confuse with kannada, but it was manageable. After coming back to the hotel he was asking some compulsory tip as mandatory............was not expected from a taj hotel. I have complained about this in the reception...but there was no reply.

The spa should not expect any standard. Was an average service. there was congested spa rooms far from the living rooms. Housekeeping boys are good in service....and price of the hotel also reasonable.

Room Tip: Garden rooms may be best
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Chikmagalur !!!
I would firstly like to thank you for your recent patronage and for taking time out in giving us your valuable feedback with regard to your stay with us at The Gateway Hotel Chikmagalur.
Kindly do accept my sincerely apologies for the lapses in regards to the service. I have taken this matter up very seriously with our front line staff and the team and have immediately enforced corrective action.
It is of great importance to us when a guest takes time to let us know about our product and service and in this instance service which you recently experienced. It is only in this way that we are able to step back from our day to day operations and look at any comments-both constructive and positive to ensure that we make the necessary changes in our operations and that this does not happen again.
Manvendra
Bangalore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed here from Oct 12th to 14th in one of the cottages...must say this was by far my worst experience at a Taj property ever! The hotel itself if quite nice though some parts of the property are quite worn out and need urgent attention. However, it was the level of service that was a real let down. Being used to hearing only "Certainly Sir" at other Taj properties, it was a rude shock to see some of responses we received:
1) They would not accept dinner order for kids before 7:30pm on account of the closed kitchen! However, that does not stop them dishing out evening snacks...Had to argue with one of the waiters to get our order through!
2) Ordered from the in room dining one of the nights. One hour after placing the order, there was no sign of the food. When I called to cancel, there wasn't even a hint of an apology!
3) Generally speaking, staff seemed quite demotivated with a smile being a rarity! And this was an opinion shared by some of the other folks who were staying there as well!!

The only positive was that the hotel was quite serene and had some good views of the hills. Hammocks around the property are a great place spend some alone time.

Swimming pool is nice, though not 100% clean. The bar can do with an attendant from time to time!

The place has good potential if only the people running the show can look at some of their peers around the country and see what Taj hospitality means!!

Turin, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located in the middle of a coffee field just outside the city center, far from noise and pollution and is quite relaxing.
A very nice swimming pool and a beautifull garden are helping to relax and have a nice staying.
All personnel is quite friendly and nice; good breakfast food.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Greetings from the Gateway Hotel, Chikmagalur!

Thank you for staying with us and for posting an excellent review on TripAdvisor!

We are really glad to see that you liked everything about the hotel - be it the quality of the room, amenities and facilities used, quality of food or the overall experience at the hotel.

I personally look forward to the pleasure of meeting you during your next stay with us.
Manvendra
Surat, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

“Very nice hospitality, especially Mr. Dharmesh who helped us around the clock during our stay.”
It's a very nice hotel and we wish to stay in future during our forthcoming visits. Also I would like to add a few thing requested the hotel personal to include some South Indian dish. Also will represent to Lambuji Tours regarding the good deeds what we got benefitted during our stay.

Room Tip: Lambuji Tours is the best ever..... Get what committed...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
manvendrar, General Manager at Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Chikmagalur !!!
I would firstly like to thank you for your recent patronage and for taking time out in giving us your valuable feedback with regard to your stay with us at The Gateway Hotel Chikmagalur in the month of Dec'12
Your patronage to The Gateway Hotel Chikmagalur is extremely important to us and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next trip to Chikmagalur.
Warm Regards

The Gateway Hotel KM Road Chikmagalur
Jyothi Nagar Post, Chikmagalur - 577102, Karnataka, India

D +91-8262-660660 M +91-9035014477
www.thegatewayhotels.com

Been to Gateway Hotel? Share your experiences!