“Love the Food, ambian, Rooms” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The President Hotel

Save Saved
You added The President Hotel to your Saves list
The President Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   #79/8, Diagonal Road | Jayanagar, 3rd Block, Bangalore 560011, India   |
Ranked #66 of 551 hotels in Bangalore
Bangalore
“Love the Food, ambian, Rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

Bit costly but Excellent Food, Ambian, Rooms.

• Liked — Food, Ambian
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

78 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

Stayed for 2 weeks. Wanted to change hotel as soon as I saw the place, but stayed because it seemed ok-ish and staff were nice. What a mistake. It gradually got worse.
Food. The indian stuff is great, western food is definitely not (fish and chips = dry stuff with actual potatoe chips (not fries, crisps!)). Gufha restaurant is a dark windowless cave, if that's where you want your meals.
Noise. I upgraded from 'comfort' to 'luxury' room, which was street side, so very very noisy (why do indian drivers abuse their horns so much?)
Water. No hot water at night. Only 1 bottle of free drinking water. For some reason the luxury room has a "rain shower" which, is, erm, like rain. Not great for washing. No bath.
WORST = hotel car. The 10 min trip was ok in the morning, but they could not organize it for the return in the afternoon, even after a few days. Almost every day I was waiting for up to 1 hour or more for them to come. On phoning the duty manager, he would actually lie to me and tell me it was already there, stuck in traffic, or something else. On phoning the front desk, I discovered the car had left the hotel only 10 minutes before my call.
Gym. There is none. You walk down the street to a place for which they give you a voucher. Voucher is valid for 3 consecutive visits, after which it was implied that you pay. I think mine had already been used once. I went once and did not return, though the gym is actually quite good.
Cleanliness. Generally pretty good. Saw few animals except out in the streets. Rather dusty at floor level, and I did get bitten by something a few times at night.
Location. 2 km from office, but I should have gotten a reliable place up at MG road since the traffic would have been worth bearing, and I was wasting an hour anyway waiting for the hotel car. Not really a shopping center, though there are lots of little shops and some bigger ones around.
Business center. About the size of a restroom. Didn't use it.
Staff. Apart from the lying duty manager, who actually turned off his phone rather than listen to me asking where the heck the car was, the staff are mostly very pleasant. A few scowlers though.
Room facility. No CNN. 50+ channels with no guide. Power cuts are frequent, so then you have to remember the channel you were watching and try to get back to it. Only a couple of non-Indian channels (discovery, animal planet, HBO). The only news I could get was indian news. Lots of people dancing and singing ...
Understocked and expensive minibar (but that's quite normal).
So, I'd say 3 stars trying to be 5. Not worth the 135 USD/night (I could get the oberoi or another 5 star mg road hotel for a bit more).
For westerners/foreigners, it is a hotel to be avoided, perhaps unless for a *very* short stay. I was counting the days, and hours, until I could leave.

Delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

the hotel is well situated in JAyanagar. Very good food at Gufhaa for indian cuisine and Isys for continental. it has free WiFi connection for its guests and the rooms are quite comfortable.
regards
Smartha Thakurta

• Liked — a good ambience
  • Disliked — wifi
  • Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Cochin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

When it comes to ambience and proximity, this is located at one of the best areas of Bangalore. Cave restaurant at top floor is definitely worth trying.Absence of swimming pool is a big appointment in case if u r there on an holiday.it has also got an excellent wi-fi connectivity.

• Liked — Cave at roof top and wi-fi connectivity
  • Disliked — Absence of swimming pool
  • Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
chennai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

This is a Business Class Hotel with Good Comfort at the Heart of the City at jai Nagar and the staffs are great.
You have accesss to Broad band connectivity in the room with WiFI option and the ideal place for Business Travellors.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

Gufha (President Hotel),

We went there for a dinner on Valentine's day 2009. The entire place is done up like a dark cavern, with waterfalls, quaint stautes, creepers and snakes adorning the walls.

Food is expensive Starters cost around Rs.225 for veg and Rs.300 for non-veg. The domestic drinks start at Rs.150 for 30 ml. Vegetarians may not find varieties.

An outstanding place and outstanding food can be expected at this restaurant in addition to the outstanding service. The staff was polite, attentive. The presentation of the food is also very good.

We must think that we are paying for sitting in that place than paying for the food. Over all, it was a very good experience.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2008

In terms of location ( for my needs), cleanliness, and price, this is a very good hotel.

Price is Rs. 3500 / USD95 to Rs. 6000/ USD175 per night, which includes a good buffet style breakfast in the Isys restaurant on the hotel's first floor. For Bangalore, these are outstanding prices.

Location: It's 15 minutes away from the big software offices (Accenture, Oracle, etc.) and the Forum Mall on Bannerghatta Rd near Hosur Rd in Jayanagar. Additionally, there is a market with many shops just around the corner from the hotel. Everything you could want or need (except good coffee) is available there. I think it's 4th Main St.

The hotel sits right on a mid-sized road, so there is traffic noise here. If you are looking for a quiet, secluded hotel, this is not the place.

The hotel is small, with only 5 floors and 10 or 12 rooms per floor. Interior is very tasteful and modern, and most importantly, it is absolutely immaculately maintained. (The lobby is just a little shabby, but don't let that put you off - it gets a lot of traffic with the Guhfa restaurant upstairs.)

My room had a sitting room with a loveseat and armchair, a coffee table, TV, and small refrigerator with cold drinks to buy. And tea service. Bedroom had a king-size bed, built in wood dresser and wardrobe, desk, and two more armchairs by the window. Also a balcony looking out on Diagonal Rd. Bathroom was very modern with a glass-walled shower, granite counters, very nice fixtures, and no issues in terms of maintenance or cleanliness. No problems with water supply or water temperature, either. The bathroom was immaculate and attractive.

Hotel staff was attentive, courteous and responsive to every request. (e.g. My balcony had an overhead light which made me feel like I was on a lighted stage after dark. I called the front desk to ask how to turn it off, and in five minutes two employees showed up with a ladder and removed the bulb.)

Hotel also arranged transportation to/from the airport, and daily drivers to get me back and forth to work. The prices I paid for these drivers were usually about 1/2 of what I paid when I arranged for the taxi myself, or through the Transportation Desk at my office. (Rs. 350 one-way vs. Rs. 700-1100 when I got them myself.)

Room service is offered 24 x 7, although after 11pm there is a limited menu. The bar shuts down at that time also, so there are no drinks other than the basics available after 11. The food by room service was very good quality: extensive Thai, Indian, and Chinese offerings were avaiilable. I had Indian, and would say it was solid mid- to slightly higher-quality fare. Prices for entrees ranged from Rs. 175 (vegetarian) to Rs. 415 (fish/prawns).

There is a restaurant called Gufha ("The Cave") occupying the entire 5th floor. Ambience there was very cool (it's a simulated cave complete with fake snakes coming down the walls), service was extremely good if maybe just a bit overdone, and the food was about an 8/10 compared to the top restaurants in Bangalore (in my experience). So in other words, very good.

Complaints:

- night operators had trouble putting through my international calls - they seemed to struggle with how to dial them correctly. (But then, so do I sometimes.)

- the code to access outside lines kept not working, so I kept having to ask the operator to dial for me. (see above.)

- I'm not sure what they use to clean with, but it smells like mothballs. The room was saturated with it, and I didn't like it. I did not like the odors in the room in general, even though it was so clean. (I did not have this experience at the other hotel I stayed at on this trip --- the ITC Maurya Sheraton in Delhi.)

- no swimming pool or exercise facilities, although hotel can get you access to a health club just a few doors away.

- It took me a few nights to get used to the traffic noise. There was just a simple wooden door to my balcony, and I was on the second floor; the traffic was just 40 feet away. Constant traffic and honking of horns is something you live with in Bangalore, but it's my review so I'm putting this down as a complaint. I would prefer a nice big lawn, a courtyard, and a wall around the hotel, but then I don't want to spend 400USD per night.

• Liked — The price, the cleanliness, the service, free wifi
  • Disliked — The odor in the room, the traffic noise, no swimming pool
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The President Hotel? Share your experiences!