“Excellent place to stay...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Purple Lotus

You added Purple Lotus to your Saves list
Purple Lotus
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   #46, 6th Cross, Lavelle Road, Bengaluru (Bangalore) 560001, India (Richmond Town)   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New Delhi, India
“Excellent place to stay...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

This is an excellent place to stay in Bangalore.
Pros:
1. Centrally located
2. excellent staff - responded to my request to a better internet connection immediately
3. clean rooms
4. good breakfast
Cons
1. Loos could be a bit cleaner
2. Its got a pond in the hotel and frogs croak at night :)

Its a good property at Rs. 3500 (including tax) a night. Anything above this I feel is over charging.

Room Tip: Take the room away from the little pond in the hotel...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
krupashivarthy, Owner at Purple Lotus, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us. I am sorry you heard frogs at night. I have not seen any in our Lotus ponds, but will certainly have the staff keep an eye on this. If they find it any, I will be certain to relocate them out to my farm house. We hope you will consider staying with us again.

Owner/Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Thai first
Copenhagen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I have stayed at Purple Lotus for more than 10 times during the last couple of years. I love it - for business and pleasure. The rooms are huge, clean and the location unbeatable - best in Bangalore. The staff is friendly and make you feel at home. On top of all that it's a real bargain and the WIFI is free - something all hotels should offer. Minor thing - the coffee for breakfast is not good. They promised to change that! Looking forward to see if this has happend when I return in August 2013.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
krupashivarthy, Owner at Purple Lotus, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for visiting us all the way from Copenhagen! We truly do appreciate your kind words. I do purchase fresh coffee beans and they are ground daily on the premises. We have been considering switching to individual french press at the table. Look forward to your return trip in August.

Windham, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Hotel was just what I expected. Service was very good. They met me upon arrival & got my bags out of the car & up to my room promptly. They accommodated an early check in at 2am- for a small fee. The breakfast was good. Fresh fruit, cereal, idly, toast, masala omelets cooked to order, coffee, juice, tea. The rooms and breakfast area were reasonably clean. Not spic & span, but very good especially not knowing what to expect out of Bangalore accommodations. Bed was ok. Linens were clean & comfy. Room was large and modern. The staff was friendly & tried to be helpful, but it wasn't like having an English speaking concierge on hand that understands how difficult and different it can be to get around as a foreign traveller. There wasn't much going on at the hotel during my stay. It was almost more like a flat. It's great if you're not panning on spending time there for anything other than relaxing. I did see the yoga studio which looked good, but I didn't use it. The area was great to walk around during the day for shopping and the park ( if you can cross the street!). It was a very populated area. I personally (as a single female traveller) didn't feel comfortable walking near there at night. The hotel is gated with security which was nice. I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
krupashivarthy, Owner at Purple Lotus, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for visiting us all the way from New Hampshire. I wish I was able to meet you in person as I would have been able to provide you with additional recommendations on shopping, tours, etc. I visit my sons in the US once or twice a year so I can certainly appreciate the difficulties of foreign travel. As a small family owned boutique hotel we do appreciate your feedback and will continue to try and improve. Hope to see you on your next visit!

Offenburg, Deutschland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

being to India for the first time, I cannot compare this hotel to the nationwide standards. Nevertheless my impressions:
Location: at the end of a blind alley, this former house of a very popular Indian politician offers silence from the noisy city. Frog croaking seems to be the only noise to be heard at night.
MG road and UB City Mall is close by, Hardrock Cafe is worth visiting in the evening.
The rooms are very spacious and light, but with heavy curtains covering the windows, most of them not able to get moved. TV has Indian channels only.
Very nice environment at the base floor with several ponds and a waterfall.
Room service is ok, but the fridge has not been refilled.
Food: since I only had breakfast, this is the reason of my main critics here. Like other guests mentioned already, it is really poor in choice and quality !
Friendlyness: the staff is very polite and friendly, but extra wishes (e.g. a knife for to cut a pinapple) needed some time to get done.
Internet access is for free and both wired and wireless.
After all, I would recommend the hotel for business travellers, but better have the breakfast outside.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
krupashivarthy, Owner at Purple Lotus, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for visiting us all the way from Germany. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We are working on improving our breakfast selection. As a small family owned boutique hotel we do appreciate your feedback and will continue to try and improve. Hope to see you on your next visit!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Had a super week there, loved:
- the beautiful lotus flowers in the bassin
- the stylish deco
- the lounge with excellent jazz music
- the warm and helpful staff
- the cleaness
- the location, very central in charming Lavelle Road
- the calm

Was a little puzzled though by:
- the really minimalistic b'fast (frankly guys, I do better at home!)
- the attitude of owner when I brought two old friends one afternoon to share a beer and watch a cricket match, I felt I was bringing two dangerous gangsters!
- globally owner's attitude was surprisingly cold, I am used to a slightly warmer behavior when I spend a whole week somewhere, I am not asking for a pad in the back but a little 'hello' would help...

This being said, a great experience and I warmly recommend this hotel for business travelers as well as tourists.
Pascal, French citizen residing in India

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Hi Richard,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for visiting us for a week. We understand that you have options when visiting Bangalore and truly do appreciate your business. I sincerely apologize for not being more friendly during your visit. While it is certainly no excuse, we have had some staffing issues and an issue with a ruckus guest. I will certainly make a more concerted effort to meet and greet guests from now on. Again, thank you for taking the time to submit a review and we hope to see you on your next visit!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I would like to recommend Purple lotus for frequent Business travelers to Bangalore, It is located close to MG road yet in a peaceful location. Huge room size, perfect ambience and quality food together makes your stay comfortable and memorable. I would give 5/5 to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
krupashivarthy, Owner at Purple Lotus, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thank you for the kind words and for taking time to submit you review. As a small boutique hotel, we rely solely on word of mouth and reviews. Hope to see you again soon!

Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We arrived in the wee hours of the morning, after all day flying from the US. I had selected this hotel so that we could recuperate before going on our journey within India. And I was not disappointed. The room was spacious and quiet. While the food was limited, it was very well prepared and tasty. And the yoga studio adjacent to the main dining area was perfect for early morning practice. The staff was very helpful in directing us to places we needed to go.
The roof top terrace is a bonus and gives one a good view of the housing surrounding the hotel.
And it is close to the cricket stadium!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
krupashivarthy, Owner at Purple Lotus, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thank you for the kind words and for taking time to submit you review. We are glad you selected the Purple Lotus for your stay all the way from Colorado! I hope the rest of your journey through India was enjoyable. As a small boutique hotel, we rely solely on word of mouth and reviews. Hope to see you again soon!

Owner/Managing Director

Been to Purple Lotus? Share your experiences!