“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Asia

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leh
Hotel Asia
You added Hotel Asia to your Saves list
Changspa, Leh 194101, India (Formerly Asia Guest House)   |
Ranked #35 of 135 Leh B&B and Inns
Bangkok, Thailand
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Sonam and his staff are really amazing. They took care of us when we got altitude sickness. They made sure we have hot tea and food to eat. Sonam is like a Dad to us. Checking on us if we are alright and if we enjoyed our trip around Ladakh. Satnam and Dorje are also amazing. Satnam always has a smile on her face when she brings us our food and tea. Dorje made sure we have hot water for shower and hot bag to make our sleep comfortable. Overall, it is an amazing place to stay. A home away from home.

• Stayed April 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Hyderabad, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

The most important thing that I would like clarify is this is a guest house and not really a hotel. I was booked to stay here when I booked a trip to Leh with MakeMyTrip (another cheat) in Jun 2013. Being the peak season the hotel had enough staff and despite quite a large number of people checking in we were checked into the room with our luggage quite swiftly. The rooms though not large but were adequate. It comprised of a TV and quite some old furniture to put your clothes and luggage. It has twin beds (no double bed) with cotton mattresses and traditional quilts. The bed covers and the quilt covers were old and a bit rough but clean. The intercoms worked but quite fragile with several tapes over the wires. Hot water is available twice a day in the morning and evenings for roughly 4 hrs each time. They are often accommodate you outside these hours. There are no heaters fitted in the room but you can ask for one at an extra cost. Summarily, it is what I would get in a 2-star hotel but fairly clean.

The hotel staff and the city in general speak English and Hindi. Food (indian) is very good. They have buffet at breakfast and night. Buffet has a reasonable variety of veg and non-veg (one dish - either chicken or egg) items. You need to order lunch as a la carte. We had breakfast and dinner almost everyday as we were there for 7 days. Tea which they prepare with ginger and other spices are very good and keeps you warm in the cold weather. However, I would suggest you to ask for prices of each item before you avail. To me the price of a cup of tea was quite high given the hotel's standard and place.

It is also worth mentioning that the hotel staff takes good care of you advising you on what to wear, carry and to get you acclimatized with the local conditions. They also arrange for doctors and get you medicines. There are quite a few medicine shops in the market area and they are equipped with all medicines related to altitude sickness and other commonly occurring ailments that people face after coming into the region. I traveled with my parents who are senior citizens and have high BP & breathlessness but faced no issues though we consulted a doctor and were taking a medicine named diamox (to prevent altitude sickness). On the day of departure the hotel arranged for breakfast at 4 in the morning as our flights were to depart at 6am. I really thanked and appreciated them for this.

Location of the hotel is quite good. A less than 10 mins lazy walk to the markets and shopping arena, though roads are quite dusty. It is advisable to get drinking water bottles from outside. The standard brands that are available in the rest of the country like Aquafina, Kinley could be a challenge to find always. It is extremely important to stay hydrated to keep up. People in general are soft spoken and helpful. Pashmina shawls, dry fruits and traditional dresses are some of the key attractions to shop. Make sure you negotiate hard and well enough.

Having said so much, I would like visitors to appreciate the fact that living a life in Leh is hard enough - challenged by extreme weather conditions and limited by habitable land among the rocky mountains. Most of the sight-seeing destinations are quite far, a full day travel on difficult roads (hats off to Indian Army and Border Road Organization to make inroads into the inaccessible via the heart of the mountains), on high altitudes and often scorching sun. In the end the breathtaking views and the natural beauty would make it all worth.

Do not forget to essential medicines, saline nasal spray (noses could go very dry and start bleeding) carry sunscreens, sunglasses, preferably woolen caps (that could cover you ears) and enough water for the day on travel (there would be no shops for several miles). Lastly, don't forget to enjoy your trip.

Room Tip: They are all the same, so don't bother. The backside rooms receives some sun though.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

As planned and promised by them, we were pretty thrilled before reaching the spot. But once in, we were shocked to find ourselves all alone, looking for some help to take us to the room, and serve some food/tea. They were short-staffed, with a lean-boy cooking, serving, cleaning and attending to the customers' need all by himself. It was sad to find how they failed to keep the promises made prior to us. The items for lunch-boxes were specified the day before, but next day at Pangong Lake we were rather upset to find something else, we didnt approve of. Other times whenevr we kept looking for the manager, or called his number there were hardly any response. I would not reccomend this place to anyone. Also I believe we didnt get the A-Catagory (Highest Quality) room that we had paid for. I am now able to compare from the pictures given in the websites. I would tell, please see both the room Catagories,before you step in.

Room Tip: If you have paid before, please see both the room Catagories,before you step in.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Gurgaon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

if you looking for no frill, basic hotel close to the heart of Leh city...than this is the place to stay..The place is owned by Mr.Sonam, an excellent host who understands your needs and take cares of it..we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, he had everything organized for us right from the taxis to river rafting trip, with tips thrown in for do's & dont's...Though we had an itinerary in our mind he helped us in refining & sailing it through..without his guidance we wouldn't have managed to cover so many things..

we stayed in new block (known as Asia hotel) which was more expensive than their old block (known as Asia guest house) & we found that it really wouldn't have mattered much in which block we had stayed..both were clean & well-maintained, latter had a more personal & cosy feel to it..

Just one thing to keep in mind, the entrance to the hotel is not too great but don't let it disappoint you (it did disappoint me a great deal but i later recovered from it post a good night's sleep & great view in the morning :-D ) if you get past this initial impression, you'll find this place is great value for money & you will surely enjoy your stay!!

Room Tip: undoubtedly, Room no.301 as suggested by fellow travelers too..
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Great staff, good food, and comfortable place.

Not very expensive, they grow their own vegetables (typical of Leh hotels), staff is very friendly and courteous, very comfortable rooms.

Highly recommend this place.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Booked the Hotel after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor & surely mine is no different. I went on a solo trip & it was off-season in Ladakh. Mr. Sonam & Mr. Deldan both were excellent in their hospitality and provided all help needed to make my trip a memorable one. Even though I was travelling alone, Mr. Deldan helped me plan my tours and also advised on the health aspects to ensure AMS doesnt have any impact. Though the Hotel staff were almost negligible due to the off-season, I didn't face any problem with food if you inform them in advance. Excellent location as its around 10 mins walk to the market and 5 mins from Shanti Stupa. Last but not the least, the view form the roof top is amazing!!! I would definitely stay there again if I plan to visit Ladakh in future, which I will for sure as I seem to have fallen in love with the place!!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd Floor might have a better view, even though mine was on 2nd floor and I do not have...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Madikeri, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Hotel Asia is a no frills attached simple hotel. I went in off season ..It was hardly occupied. But the owner was friendly and cooperative. The location is decent . Close to market .Breakfast was prepared on time. Overall its a decent hotel with decent service.Overall its a decent hotel with decent service.Hotel Asia is a no frills attached simple hotel. I went in off season ..It was hardly occupied. But the owner was friendly and cooperative. The location is decent . Close to market .Breakfast was prepared on time. Overall its a decent hotel with decent service.Overall its a decent hotel with decent service.

Room Tip: Most rooms are good.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Asia? Share your experiences!