“Home away from home” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 51 Hotels in Leh
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Home away from home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

On our Ladakh trip, we were stationed at "The Pangong" in Leh where we checked-in a total of three times. Our luggage was carefully kept in the hotel on each “away” occasion. We stayed in a total of two rooms, first time adjoining the roof (colder but with good view) and later at the first floor. The lower floor ones had a better bathroom. The service was excellent and I was amused that it's just 3 ladies who seem to be doing all the tough work. The buffet was excellent and Mr. Sharma went way out to please everyone. He had even once treated me to "Ladakhi Tea" with butter and salt. The food would be monotonous after a while, but with nothing much to do in the evenings, it's best to pass time at the warm dining hall eating slowly with family. The bed was nice and fluffy and I discovered that sleeping with a hot water bag under your blanket helps reduce the energy bill. Power goes off a lot of time, but there is some kind of backup. The Wi-Fi is flaky, but the manager/owner shared his laptop for me to make a transaction which couldn’t wait. All in all, experience was good. In this hotel, I paid the highest amount of tip amongst all places I stayed in India. So, that should speak for itself.

Room Tip: 2nd Floor rooms are less cold
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed for 4 nights in Aug 2012. Rooms are decent. We stayed on both 1st and 2nd floor rooms for 2 nights each. Went to Nubra in between. They kept our luggage in cloak room properly. Had few issues in washroom but were taken care off.. in general good service.. only thing is food gets monotonous and boring.. so my advice is to only take breakfast in plan and explore outside for dinner... but overall a good place to stay in leh..

Manama, Bahrain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed during August 2012.
Hotel is nice enough, good size rooms .... basic but clean & probably in need of a bit of repair & re-decoration. Staff were very friendly and cheerful and the restaurant served up some very nice buffet style food (loved their momo's!).
Power cuts were frequent and hot water availability was limited (both common in Leh), wifi available but very unreliable, but good TV channel choice (when there was power!!).
The hotel is well located a few minutes walk from the bustling Fort Road area where there are lots of shops & restaurants to keep you busy.
Overall a good choice which does not really disappoint.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Amazing staff and service. Everyone was super friendly and helpful. However, the hotel is let down by poor infrastructure. Electricity was only available from 6pm till night, hot water only for a few hours a day and what was advertised as "internet enabled" turned out to be spotty at best (only got a couple of hours of decent internet in the whole week). This is especially frustrating since you need to acclimatise to the altitude so are stuck in your hotel room for a whole day with no electricity, TV, internet, or entertainment of any kind.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the first or second floor. Walking up the stairs in the low oxygen environment...
Bern
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I booked this hotel over my travelagency for 4 nights. After the 1st. night hotel informed me that they are overbooked and I have to move out. They told me also that I have time to pack my laggage after comming back from the trip organised by my travelagency. When I came back from the trip I find in my room already all clothes and toillet-things removed. Something similar never happened to me befor and I was travelling for more than 40 year all over the world.

Room Tip: don't choose this hotel
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Just back from an amazing two-week (not enough!!) journey through stunning Ladakh. For the first week we were based in Leh, coming in and out, and staying at the Hotel Pangong each time we spent a nigth in Leh. The staff is absolutely wonderful and make you feel as if you are old family friends. We had requested rooms on the upper floor (no elevator but only three flights up), some of which have spectacular views. The rooms are a bit tattered but spotlessly clean. Hot water showers are possible both morning and evening (use water sparilngly in Ladakh, please!) The hotel's location is ideal: situated in a very quiet dirt lane just a few minutes walk from the bustling Fort Road where you will find many shops, restaurants and tour operators. Buffets are available in the restaurant morning, noon and night. A very basic selection of Indian and Western fare is on offer at the breakfast buffet with omolettes made to order. The service staff in the restaurant, as well as in the rest of the hotel, is extremely attentive, friendly and genuinely kind. I give all thumbs up and would certainly choose to stay at the Pangong on my return (there really must be a return trip!) to Leh!

Room Tip: We were happy with our rooms on the upper (third) floor. Three of the five rooms up there have spect...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

My family were there for four night in June 2012. After reading through Tripadvisor before going to Ladakh we were given choice of 2-3 hotels by our Tour Organiser. We opted for this place after reasonable consideration. As I was with my young son of 8 year old who happen to be Austistic and as we were from Thailand the weather being very hot , adjusting to cold weather was a bit challenging. However at request they gave us a bigger room downstair for convenient to go to dinning room. It was considerate of them as hotel was fully pack for June. Food were great with lot of variety, although there were more vegetarian but they offered to get some non veg too. It was clean and staff friendly and smiling. A Good morning wish were there from cleaner to the manager. We give our Thumb up and please try to keep it that way. We also thanks the tripadvisor.in for providing the platform and various view and review of the many commentor who spend time in giving your review for other traveller .

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Been to Hotel Pangong? Share your experiences!