“Lovely Shanti” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shanti Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leh
Shanti Guest House
Changspa | Shanti Stupa road, Leh 194101, India   |
Ranked #25 of 108 Leh B&B and Inns
Denmark
“Lovely Shanti”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Shanti Guest House is the nicest Guesthouse in Leh. I have stayed there for 3 times over the last 7 years, and the atmosphere is always pleasant. The rooms are great and clean, the family is always nice and helpful, the food is good(love the breakfast-bread a lot and the local dishes for dinner). The area is very beautiful and calm.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Dilli, Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stayed at Shanti Guest House for 2 weeks in August, 2012. The guest house had been recommended to us by a friend who frequented Leh. Considering the fact that both of us are students, the guest house turned out to be the perfect budgeted, comfortable and friendly place for us to call 'home' while in Leh. The rooms were spacious, with big windows to let in a lot of sunlight every morning which, was superb. Wi-Fi (though slightly intermittent) was available to us in the evenings (except when there wasn't power). The best thing about our stay was that we would spend the entire day out and in the evenings have a lovely, warm, homemade meal with all the other guests in the guest house kitchen. One week into our stay we had become friends with the family, who were present round the clock to chat, help with logistics, provide a flask of hot tea and always inquire into our well-being and stay. Even when we ventured out for over-night excursions we could leave our luggage in a storeroom (after vacating our room) and a fresh reserved room would be waiting for us on our return. When we had to catch our very early morning flight out, a member of the family dropped us to the airport, which was great! Basically, we didn't have to worry about much while we were there and that's exactly what you need on a holiday!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed at the Shanti GH in May 2012 for 2 weeks and had one of the corner rooms on the 2nd floor with great views over the mountains. The room had hot water, tv with loads of channels and there is free wifi though the signal is pretty weak. Upon arrival at the airport we were picked up at no charge and driven up to the property. The GH is located up by Shanti stupa and while it is a bit of walk into the town centre, 20 mins or so, it is worth it to be in a quieter area and the shops and restaurants of changspa road are only 5 mins or so away.

The family who run the place are very friendly and helpful. My wife and I were looking to stay on in Leh for a couple of months and were trying to find an apartment to rent. The family made extensive enquiries for us and eventually found us a place to stay with a lovely local family just up the road. They even gave my daughter 500rs as a present on her 1st birthday.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

The family (owners) are extremely friendly and helpful. They were also very accommodating with my unpredictable schedule of trekking and climbing. The rooms are comfortable with good views (some rooms) and very reasonably priced. They were clean - and my room on the top floor was spacious with a large bathroom. Hot water is only available in the afternoons because it's solar powered but this was never a problem for me. The breakfasts of home-made Ladakhi bread, fresh butter, and local apricot preserves were fantastic. The evening meal was very good but started a bit late for me (starting at 7:30 p.m.), which is why I only ate there twice. Highly recommended. Like in every guesthouse in the area, you need to bring your own TP or buy it there.

Room Tip: If possible, ask for the top floor. There is no elevator and the stairs are narrow - so take that in...
Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

As part of a trekking team we four were allowed to check in to Room 20 of Shanti Guest House, Changspa Road, Leh at 1430hrs on 18 Aug 2012 straight returning from a seven days’ Stok Kangri Summit adventure. We had bath and went out for lunch, spreading out in the room all our belongings which included expensive cameras and equipments. During the lunch we were talking of having a long sleeeep after many days tedious activity. At this time the young lady from Shanti GH called up the Trek Manager and said that her mother did not know about the bookings and that we have to vacate R No. 20. I said not to make an issue of a mistake we will vacate the room. Reaching the place we saw the belongings of all the four of us mercilessly dumped together on the corridor. With tears in my eyes I picked up my belongings and left the place in anguish. I was trying to visualize what Gandhiji would have done if he is met such an action. The two ladies took a toughened stand and did not come out. While dealing with lady run establishments men have to be extra absorbent. This young lady is only the age of my son. May God forgive her and show light.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Bangalore, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I had to stay in Leh for a week & hence booked this hotel mainly because of the tariff I was proposed. Most of the rooms are at best average and are showing some signs of wearing out. Your supply of hot water is dependent on the benevolence of Sun. Rooms on the top floor are well lit & much better than the ones beneath..Views from corner rooms are good...
Owner, Mr. Dorjey is extremely helpful & friendly...He arranged all our tours & also offered some discount on the published taxi charges... He didn't even ask us to pay anything in advance (except for the paltry sum I had transferred for blocking the rooms).. I had to literally follow-up with him to get the final bill & make the payment.. overall, a pleasant stay, thanks to the owners!

Room Tip: ask for top floor rooms (if you don't mind the stairs)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

This Guest House was located right outside of the city, allowing for quite peace yet closeness to shops and restaurants when wanted! Friendly house, provides everything you need at reasonable cost and has great views. Willing to accommodate if trekking, which most people do. I would come back..and I plan to when I do a trekk.

Room Tip: You can either have attached bathroom or communal
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Shanti Guest House? Share your experiences!