“Fantastic experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 92 Hotels in Srinagar
Hyderabad
“Fantastic experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

After my terrible time with Heevan Srinager, I moved into Dar-Es-Salam on Dec-27 noon. My first look from outside was not very impressive. But as I moved into the place and walked towards the reception area, I was amazed to see the beautiful nagin lake through the lawn and it was an astounding view. Once I checked into the room, I was very happy about the choice we made. Initially the room was very cold and I called the reception to turn on the central heating and they immediately obliged and said that they would turn it on for some time until the room gets warm and will again turn it on for the whole night from evening. I felt very happy about their courteousness and didn't had any problems with the room size, beds, heating, hot water, room service...etc
The food here was awesome, a little expensive though, but worth for the quality.
The entire hotel is a heritage mansion turned into a hotel and the view from the lawn adjoining the nagin lake is simply amazing. The lobby and guest sitting areas on groung and first floor had very good collection of antique items.
Overall I had a fabulous experience here and would love to come back here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed at this place in October 2012 on a 10-day long trip to Kashmir and absolutely loved it! Due to our travel plans we checked in and out 3 times into this place. The experience was consistently wonderful. This was truly one of the highlights of our trip. Even before we got there, the amount of thought the owner put into responding to our queries about trip planning etc gave us a good feeling about the place.

Firstly, here's what this place doesn't have:
- it is not close to Dal lake and the tourist areas
- it is an old, rambling country house so the bathrooms etc are somewhat old-fashioned. This may be a personal preference, but we really enjoyed the old fashioned decor and all the walnut wood furniture in the two living rooms.
- the menu is somewhat limited, although very well executed.

Having said this, we really enjoyed every moment of our stay here. The fact that is on Nigeen lake and not Dal, makes for a much quieter experience in general. Our kids could run around on the lawns bordering it. Waking up to brilliant sunrises over the lake watching lotus stems being harvested from boats was an experience to remember. For those of you looking for a less-commercial shikara ride, I would recommend taking one from the hotel to go around Nigeen lake (and not Dal). You get to see lake-side villages, vegetable gardens in the lake and a wide variety of local birds.

The staff, every single one of them, were extra helpful and quite happy to accommodate 2 high-energy kids overrunning the place. This is a place I would definitely recommend for people looking for a quiet, slow-paced and gracious "old-world" experience.

Room tip: try and get room #8. It is a corner room overlooking the lake.

Room Tip: Room #8 is a bright corner room with a great view of the lake.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Greater Noida, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I have been wanting to write a review for the Dar-Es-Salam hotel for a long time. We stayed at the hotel, in June of 2012 to spend our first wedding anniversary. And it was a memorable one. A big word of praise for Mr. Khurram Hussein the host, who agreed to our request for a change of room and accomodated us in a huge room overlooking the garden and the Nagin Lake. And also the most courteous staff that we have encountered anywhere. It is the little things that make you feel special, like even the cutlery used and the way food is served to you!! Proper royal treatment. And finally the Location. What a location!! Bang on the bank of the Nagin lake, with a lush big garden, and a sort of 1920's charm that the modern day chain star hotels will struggle to match. All in all, the sort of place that will make you want to go back next year and every year after that!! Full five stars!!

Room Tip: Go for the room overlooking the garden on the first floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Pune
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed with my wife and two small kids between 20th till 24th Dec 2012. since its being off season, we got package of ~34000 INR with extra bed and breakfast for 4 night. Hotel is far from main city and market. you need to always dependent on taxi to go somewhere. there is no other option for commuting to city. This is small property of 14 room(owners house converted into Hotel.
Hotel surprised me with food bill of ~15000 INR where my family took food both time on one day and rest of the days, it was only one time(dinner). they charged small kids also same rate as adult and several kind of taxes. I asked them and they said, this is how they charge per policy. I ended up paying around 50K INR at the end.
This Hotel defenatly does not worth for such money. I was getting Vivanta Taj deal of 11000 INR per night with bed and meal due to off season. I made mistake here.
I recommand you all, either stay when you have your own car so u can go out or it will be very expensive deal.

Room Tip: take lake view room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at Hotel Dar-Es-Salam, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
The said review above is from our esteemed guest who stayed with us from 20th to 24th Dec'12 . We understand if the esteemed guest found our hotel a bit expensive and he definitely has a right to his view. However we would like to humbly clarify the following for the purpose of maybe sorting out maybe a misunderstanding our client has had with us and also for our other reviewers and potential clients :

An email is sent in a standard format which clearly states all meals charges along with the age
of the child up to which meals are complimentary which is our case is 5 years or below. We will be more than happy if the client who has written this review points that that he did not receive this detailed email from us before the time he finalized his booking with us and had made payment.We humbly request the gentleman to re-check his email exchange with us. Also, we are a bit surprised that the gentleman presumed that the Dinner will be complimentary for his two children when he himself has paid for four breakfasts in the package. Moreover at our check-in counter, we have the Meals rates displayed for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.

Also we would imagine that 5 buffet meals for 4 people as the gentleman's children appear to have been well above 5 years of age which is why they were also chargeable, along with the extras a family may consume ( tea, coffee , snacks etc) over a 4 day stay will come up to approximately the amount mentioned by the gentleman as per our rates. Now individually a buffet Meal for INR 550/- + 10 % service charge in itself in our personal opinion is not very high considering the same is more than double if we are not mistaken at the Taj /Lalit. However as a consolidated amount 4 buffet Meals x 5 times ( 4 dinners and 1 lunch) will in our calculations come to the figure the gentleman's spoken about which by itself seems a large figure but broken up and understood why it came to that , in our opinion is what the reviewer
should judge.

Our main purpose through this management response was to assure firstly our esteemed client and then the rest of our reviewers/proposed clients that in no way did we maliciously or calculatedly conceal any information leading to the bill amount . It was displayed and emailed to the gentleman who then confirmed his booking.

Regarding the location as mentioned by our esteemed client , we would like to inform the client that most of the nicer properties Taj /Lalit etc are at least 5 to 6 kms away from the main market area which now over the last few years in characterized with traffic Jams and low budget accommodations. Had the Gentleman stayed at the Taj the property is perched on top
of a secluded Hill/Plateau about 7 kms away from Dal gate, with houses/little Kirana shops only at the bottom of that hill. So therefore had the gentleman stayed at the Taj he would have definitely needed a Taxi as well.

We would like to conclude by thanking our esteemed client for giving us an opportunity to serve his family and him and hope he would give us an opportunity to serve him/his family in the near future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in DES from 27th-29th Nov 2012 and was accompanied by my wife. It's a heritage hotel situated on banks of nageen lake and has breathtaking views... Rooms are clean and well maintained... Heating system is good... Mr khurram met us when we were checking in the hotel and i was impressed with him in whatever brief talk we had... And oh yes we got a lake facing room :)
Our stay here was memorable one and staff went out of way to tickle our taste buds and preparing food on request as well.

Only issue I had with room was the sound Of guests staying in other rooms chit chatting...
During our stay curfew was imposed just outside the hotel and hotel staff arranged for a shikara for us to get past the affected area thru lake. Wanted to reward the hotel staff for their services, specially kitchen staff but the curfew thing was so on my mind that forgot to reward them. Would request Mr khurram Hussain to appreciate his staff on my behalf. Rest assured my next visit to Srinagar would definitely mean a stay in DES.

• Stayed November 2012
Delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My family recently visited this hotel. The general feedback was really great about the property, location, service and overall hospitality. Only aspect (very mildly negative) was about the food. Food was good but not highly recommended for a typical north indian family who prefer spicy food. Comparatively the food was bland which is not a bad thing, it's just a matter of preference. Not sure how it can be addressed but if possible, then it is the only low point of our stay. Rest was really awesome. Hats off to the property owner (Mr. Hussain) and their staff for their dedicated commitment towards hospitality. Keep up the great work.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Ahmedabad, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed in this Hotel, oh sorry in this Home for four nights from 24th November to 28th November and we passed our wonderful time here as it is located Right at the bank of Nageen lake. On the basis of TripAdvisor reviews I also insisted Mr Khurram Hussain to allot me a Lake view room and incidentally I got it also. But after my first day stay in Hotel and after spending my time in lounges and common areas on each
floor I finally requested Mr. Musadiq Hussain to change my room and to allot me a room nearby this lounge area which have beautiful views of the lake and on availability I got it also. Since this hotel is a Heritage Property they have kept the original Character intact and lounges and common areas are so nicely decorated with an amazing range of classical furniture, carpets, decorative items and upholstery that any body will like to pass his maximum time in this area. I will definitely tell all rooms are equally good with all identical facilities with tea and coffee maker also.

As the transport facilities during my stay was arranged by the Hotel and they do not keep any margins on transport. They are merely helping their clients to get their travel arrangements organised during their stay in Srinagar. Their Travel Coordinator is Mr. Javed and his mobile no is 9906591912 in an unlikely case if you face any issues. As they provided me a good vehicle ( Innova ) at reasonable rate i.e for Pahalgam Rs 2600/- and for Gulmarg Rs 2200/-.

As Mr. Musadiq Hussain is taking utmost care of every guest and we passed our good time with him in discussing many issues of Kashmir about this Hotel history also. The food was extremely good and very hygienically prepared With great menu planning, classical silver service & fantastic cuisine.

The Rooms and all areas are very neat and clean and very nicely maintained equipped with centrally heating system. As during our stay due to snowfall in surroundings Srinagar temperature was very low and due to only their centrally heating system we passed our time comfortably here. The Hotel is power back up with full capacity generator so during frequent power failure during our stay all heaters and everything was on during this time also.

I know for sure, if I were to ever go back to Srinagar, this is the place I would like to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Dar-Es-Salam? Share your experiences!