“nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 103 Hotels in Manali
New Delhi, Delhi, India
“nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Nice hotel with very good rooms. service is not very good but still you can stay here as the price is very good. This hotel is value for money. It's situated very close to mall road. I like this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

stayed here in first week of december with few friends.. decent hotel.. helpful staff.. gud room service.. not very far from mall road.. and when it snows views are also gud..

Room Tip: try to bargain.. room rates will be brought down..
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

location of this hotel is perfect with located on banks of river , one can see the immence greenery from the room , modern and new hotel and its have every thing for a normal tourist , with all rooms with tv , sofa , table etc , very good for honeymooner ,

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

Cooperating staff , clean and spacious rooms, great value for money, good amenities, D.J. experience was really good, Superb view from room balcony - mountain and river facing.....Overall experience was good ......

V.K Mehta
( From Mumbai )

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Bangalore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

The name is indeed a misnomer. There is nothing grand about this place. It’s another average tourist hotel in a place where tourism is the main business. The room we got was spacious and four of us could fit after requesting for extra bed.

Maybe it was our bad luck that we went there when they were still in the midst of a bit of renovation – basically new coat of paint. The dust level was very difficult. And, while there I repaired the bathroom faucet myself! If it weren’t for the fact I would have lost heavily for any shortening/cancelling of the stay there, I wouldn’t have put up with it.

Location was OK for us. We weren’t particular to be very close to the ‘Mall’ area and happy with the need for an auto rickshaw (Rs 10 per head) ride. Our room faced the road and the river which is right next to road. Don’t romanticize about the river being close by. While you can go to the river bank on your own, it’s not all that clean – with all sorts of trash strewn all over the place.

Even though they were civil about it, it has left a very bad taste that they wanted our room one day ahead of our planned departure date.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

stayed with my wife and two kids under 10. in june 2010.. booked through yatra.com.. the room which was given was facing the rear of the hotel with a pathetic view......... some repair work seemed to be going on and the junk was strewn all over .. we didnot open the window for two days.. coudn't do much as the payment was made in advance and the staff said that all river facing rooms are full even though i knew that that was not the case.... the road in fron of the hotel is very busy and have to be careful with young children. there are couple of small business enterprises right across spoiling the view even further.. the in house restaurant was nothing great.. we preferred room service.. all in all a thoroughly forgettable experience..

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Mumbai (Bombay), India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

My experience at Le Grand was very bad, it was not at all worth the money I paid. I made a mistake by booking this hotel in advance based on just the reviews I read and my conversation with the hotel manager.

Upon reaching the hotel shivering with cold (esp. due to the rain), we got our first shock when told that only two buckets of hot water was available at a time, after which one had to wait for atleast an hour if one wanted more hot water - which meant I could forget about relaxing in the bathtub! Even though the hotel mentions a bathtub as one of its features, the manager told us pointedly that we were better off not using it!

The central heating facility mentioned on the hotel's list of features was not being provided when I went there. I had to request them for a room heater/blower, which turned out to be an ancient box that barely warmed half the room even after being switched on the whole night.

There was construction work going on at the hotel which we were not informed about even though we made advance inquiries.

The indoor games/gym facility seemed imaginary as we were told it was not being provided at the time.

The room was supposed to have been 'prepared' for my arrival but I don't think it was even cleaned properly. There was dust in the cupboards and on the floor, even the bedsheet didn't appear to have been changed. The room is quite cluttered with too many things crammed into too small a space. The main door and bathroom door wouldn't close properly, and the water was muddy (which the hotel manager claimed was due to the rain - may be correct).
One of the nights I spent there, I felt something cold and creepy run along my arm - waking up in a shock I realised it was probably a rat!

Because of all these problems, the hotel did not appear to be a professionally-run place, it seemed more of what is called an 'economy hotel'. And I certainly didn't get any discounts! What I did get is a call from the manager who threatened to take me to court for my earlier review on this site! (He didn't want me to mention the unfair amount I paid for my stay at the hotel.)

One positive point I noted about the hotel is the more or less prompt room service - considering I had to call them so many times to fix so many things, I think their response time wasn't bad. The location of the hotel is good too, and one wishes they would run it more professionally.

My advice to the reader is: please do not go by the features advertised on the hotel website - please keep expectations low and do confirm each and every thing with the manager before booking. It was absolutely not value for my money, though I learned a hard lesson in holiday planning!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Grand? Share your experiences!