“Good Location for Business in Gurgaon” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Gurgaon

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Gurgaon to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Gurgaon
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Site 2 Sector 29 | opposite Signature Tower, Gurgaon 122001, India   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
IHG Special up to 25% Off
Ranked #19 of 188 hotels in Gurgaon
Upstate New York
“Good Location for Business in Gurgaon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2008

I've stayed at the Crowne Plaza Gurgaon twice. The first vist was the week they were opening, staff out numbered guests at least two to one. I enjoyed the property and returned in October '07; this is the visit I'll review.

All in all, the hotel is a good place to stay if you need to be in Guragaon. It is not a tourist destination, I don't think; you go there because you have business in the locale and don't want to deal with the traffic from downtown Delhi.

Staff are effective, the property is clean and secure, adn everything works. Food is good; they even have an Argentine style meat restaurant that is quite good.

• Liked — good location for business in the area
  • Disliked — it is a good hotel, nothing is negative
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

379 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2008

I walked in a jet-lagged daze past the doormen in their bright yellow kurtas, pointy-toed shoes and colorful turbans into the Crown Plaza’s sleek and sparkling lobby. It was 11 PM and I’d just come off the 15-hour flight from Chicago and was due in the office the next morning. I was tired. I did not smell nice. The courteous young man at the desk scanned his computer and said I needed to speak with the manager. The equally courteous manager broke the news that my room was not ready- it would be another hour. I was not amused.

My guess is that the room’s previous occupants had a late-departing flight and paid an additional night’s accomodation so they could stay in the room- many international flights depart from Delhi between 11 PM and 1 AM. The hotel decided to collect twice for that day and assign the room to me. Too bad they weren’t capable of getting it ready in time.

They offered me a complimentary dinner but I’d been over-fed on the plane. They shuttled me off to the lounge with more apologies and I had a glass of wine and used the Internet before a bellhop came to the lounge and escorted me to my room. It was, I’m happy to say, within the promised time frame, and it was a beautiful room. Their offered reparations included free Internet access and lounge access for the duration of my trip, as well as free transportation back to the airport. Mellowed by the wine and their magnanimity, I decided not to throw a tantrum. But I do suggest that you get a written acknowledgement of when your room will be ready if you plan a very late check-in.

A word on the car services: the hotel quoted me Rs 2,000 (about $50) for airport pickup and the car service my company uses charged Rs 700 to pick me up at the airport and take me to the hotel.

My room was beautiful, with a plate of fruit and chocolates or Indian sweets replenished daily. The health club was well-equipped, and had Indian rock music on the sound system- ideal for a fast-paced workout. The outdoor pool had been drained (the sign announcing “Pool is Closed” seemed a little redundant under the circumstances)- this was mid-January so it may have been seasonal maintenance.

The Lounge was a nice place to have breakfast although the menu was the same every day. I enjoyed sambal and idli every morning, accompanied by coffee. There were North American/European selections as well, and eggs cooked to order.

The Wi-Fi worked most of the time (one evening out of 4 it did not). One oddity was that I could do everything but get to the company server with my Lotus Notes e-mail, and was able to do that only one night. No idea why.

I used only the buffet at the main restaurant and found it fine but way overpriced. My first night, the buffet, a bottle of Perrier and a glass of entirely forgettable domestic shiraz cabernet worked out to over $50. I know the workers are paid a pittance. Where’s the rest of the money going when I could buy dinner back in Kansas for less than that? So, I obediently filled out a survey presented with my check, praising the food and the service but complaining about the prices. On my way out, the manager stopped me and engaged me in a little debate over my opinion. That’s what all the other hotels charge around here, he said. It was cheaper than London or America, he said. (I gave him an argument on America and said I’d have the same comment at the other hotels.) He complained about taxes. Yes, I know the government is milking business tourism for all it’s worth but, as I told him, India is in danger of getting so expensive it won’t be a cost-effective place to do business anymore. Sheesh. Don’t fill out the restaurant survey unless you want to discuss it with the manager.

Checkout was smooth except that of course no one knew about the free Internet offer or the free airport transportation. They removed the charges with no argument.

I’d return to the Crowne Plaza because of the proximity to my company’s Gurgaon offices and the generally beautiful, comfortable state of my room and the good food- but I’d be darn sure they were planning to have a room ready for me on arrival next time.

• Liked — Beautiful, comfortable room, very good restaurants
  • Disliked — Servuce problems described above; overpriced
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2007

Similar to other folks I was surprised at the prices for decent hotels in Gurgaon. This hotel was well worth the price ($400/night) and simply amazing. Everything from the room to the service was well above average.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2007

Great hotel with fabulous rooms and food. Staff outstanding in every department. Couldn't fault it an any way. Pricey though.

• Liked — modern, classy
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2007

Stayed here a night last week because a colleague and I got kicked out of the Fortune Hotel. They incorrectly told us we hadn't booked for 4 nights, only 5. I liked the Fortune but probably will not stay there again because of how we were treated. They literally kicked us out of the hotel room.

Anyway, we booked at the Crowne for our last night though it's quite pricey. There is just too much demand for hotels in Gurgaon for any of them to offer good pricing. When I got there, much to my surprise, I was upgraded to a suite. It really was about the most amazing suite I have ever been in, probably tied with a suite I got some years back at the Ritz Carlton.

The decor was ultra-modern. There were 2 large plasma screen TV's, two large bathrooms, a bedroom, a dining room, living room and a huge walk-in closet. There was also a gorgeous, very functional desk area. Really a very "over-the-top" room, with very modern decor. Everything was in good order and very functional, unlike most hotels in Gurgaon. The service was truly impeccable, very polite and service staff went out of their way to be nice.

The room rate included breakfast, and what a breakfast it was! Really really nice buffet, with a combination of Indian dishes, Thai dishes, American and European. Great made-to-order dishes as well. Huge selection of bakery items and great breads as well. Really exceptional.

If you're willing to absorb the price, you will be very very pleased with this hotel.

Stayed September 2007

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Gurgaon? Share your experiences!