“Acceptable place to be bored” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   B Block, Sushant Lok, Phase 1, Gurgaon 122002, India   |
Ranked #14 of 195 Hotels in Gurgaon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Palo Alto
“Acceptable place to be bored”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

I stayed at the Park Plaza for about a week. Overall, the hotel is comfortable, and there is an honest attempt to provide good service, but I frankly wasn't that impressed by this place. I will not book here again next time I need to come to Gurgaon.

I asked for a non-smoking room, and they gave me a smoking room. When I complained, they apologized and said they would fix it. Well, the way they fixed it was to have someone go in, take out the ashtrays, and give me back the same room. I was too tired to argue, as my flight had arrived at 2:30am.

The floor of the room is some type of laminate (like Pergo), so those allergic to carpets would find this a plus.

The towels are surprisingly low quality. They look nice and fluffy, but it turns out they don't really wick away moisture, as if they weren't really made of 100% cotton. I needed use at least two towels to dry off after the shower.

One afternoon I took a shower, and found there was no hot water. I had to take a tepid shower.

I called the front desk to ask for a plug adapter, and they said they would send one up. It never arrived. Later I grabbed one from the front desk myself.

The room service food is not very good. In my previous trip to India I had stayed at the Fortune Select, and the room service food there was excellent! But at the Park Plaza, the food was just passable. The fish and chips were horrible, the biriyani was so-so, and the tandoori chicken was tasty, but the portion was small.

The breakfast and lunch/dinner buffet has a crowd of waiters and busboys hanging around. Frankly, they are not that helpful, and get in the way. I mean, they try to be helpful, but there are so many of them trying to help that it's kind of annoying. For example, when I reached for a plate, someone would always jump in front of me to grab a plate first, and hand it to me. The food is okay, not great.

The coffee they serve is absolutely horrible. Literally the worst coffee I had in my life. Stick to drinking tea, or Nescafe if you must.

The AC at the gym was turned off, and I phoned the front desk asking them to turn it on. They said they would do it, but by the time I was done with my workout, the AC was still off.

The WiFi signal in my room was very low -- about 10-20% in my meter (in the red zone.) In some parts of the room I couldn't get a signal, so web surfing sitting in the bed was not an option. Internet was overpriced, but that's par for the course.

Frequent power breaks, but that's usual in India. Don't freak out if you happen to be in the elevator.

The hotel travel agent charges an absurdly expensive rate for a day trip to visit Agra (the Taj Mahal.) Call a tour agent directly for much better rates (they are listed in the Delhi guidebook and map in the room.)

Bottom line: nice try, but I won't be going back.

• Liked — Comfortable, good attempt at providing service.
  • Disliked — Towels suck -- come on guys, why pinch pennies on the towels?
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Berrien Springs, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2008

I stayed at the Park Plaza for 1 week for business. The hotel is beautiful -- lots of marble in a modern/deco style. The rooms are comfortably sized and nicely decorated. The service is excellent here. After a day or so, most of the staff knew my name, my room number, and my likes and dislikes. The staff were incredibly attentive, sometimes to the point of being overattentive.

There are 2 restaurants on the property. The Kebab Factory has great food and a lot of it. Come hungry and be willing to try everything -- you won't be disappointed. The cafe, on the other hand, was underwhelming. Breakfast was ok, though the Indian dishes were much better than the continental fare. Dinner and room service (which came from the cafe menu) were fair -- acceptable, but nothing outstanding.

The biggest drawback of this hotel was the price. Room and taxes exceeded $500 USD per night. While this included breakfast and internet access, this was far more than I would normally be willing to pay for a place like this. I would expect to pay no more than $250 per night for a comparable hotel in the United States or Europe.

• Liked — Attentive service
  • Disliked — Cost
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
SF
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2007

Very disappointing. Not in a good area, average food, very small hotel. I experienced noise & spotty electricity. Eventhough I had spent $1K for 3 nights a week before & was scheduled for an additional 4 nights, the hotel was very unaccomodating, difficult. when I encountered a problem and tried to reduce my stay by 1 night. Business travelers can do better!

• Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

The hotel is located near several North American businesses. A very common hotel for business travelers, but not for tourists. By car, it takes over an hour to get into Delhi.
The service was excellent. I spent 8 weeks here and got to know many of the staff by name. The beds are hard as rocks, but the rest of the room is nicely furnished, clean, and spacious. If you want a non smoking room, be sure to book it in advance, as most of the rooms allow smoking. The rooftop pool is amazing. Food at the hotel is average. You can get both Indian and American style foods. The breakfast buffet was very good. The price was too high. I paid almost $400/night. For $420, the Hilton is a MUCH better choice. Overall, a good, clean, safe hotel.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The beds
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2007

We stayed at Park Plaza on Sat 27th January 2007 in transit for one night. It is a new hotel and desribes itself as a 'business' hotel although we met quite a few American tourists staying there. We had been travelling for 17 hours and found the check-in requirements a bit tedious when all we wanted to do was to get to our room. The room was very well furnished and complete with desk. The main problem we found was that the hotel is sited away from any residential or shopping areas so you can't go out for a stroll to look at the shops. The pre-paid taxi fare from the Domestic Airport was 300 rupees (about half an hour) but when we wanted to return to the airport the next morning the hotel charged us 1,200 rupees. We tried to go outside and find our own taxi but because of the location we never found one - even at a nearby cross roads - so we had to pay up!
Food and service were all of a high standard. We paid around £110 for our stay.

TD

• Liked — New hotel very well furnished and comfortable
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2007

Pros
-clean hotel and rooms - hotel cleanliness is good
-good food - variation and quality is good
-mostly good service
-fast room service which is fairly priced compared to other hotel items

Cons
-room rates over priced, NYC equivalent prices
-laundry rates extorniate e.g. $4.5 to wash - not dry clean - a t-shirt
-power cuts seem to occur on a nearly hourly basis, power does come on quickly but for the rates charged this should not be expected (perhaps convert all those $ into a generator or lower room rates)
-internet is wifi but can be very slow. Also equivalent to US$20 a night again very expensive compared to US particularly based upon the irregular sprreds delivered. Not sure if this depends on room located in but mine at times was exceptionaly slow.
-location can best be described as between wasteland and new developments, some offices near by if you are lucky, but Gurgaon and anywhere else only accessible with a driver. Malls 5km away, these seem to be only thing to do in town itself. Do not expect to stroll around the neighborhood.
-gym modest at best, better if interested in a treadmill then weights, particularly bad selection of free weights, heavies being one 6kg dumbell
-hotel requires settlement of bill after a certain bill level has been hit, so expect to settle every week, the main desk is not shy about getting you to pay as quickly and often as possible with poor bedside manners FYI This was not made clear at anytime during booking or check-in process.
-if changing departure date expect hotel to want a nights rate as a fee regardless of notice (i gave 4 days but managed to get them to waive this after some debate)

• Stayed January 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2006

The best hotel in the city. way ahead of all others in the business wonderful food unmatched service standards and most important ever caring smiling staff.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business

Been to Park Plaza Hotel Gurgaon? Share your experiences!