“Spectacular” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 188 hotels in Gurgaon
Chicago IL
“Spectacular”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

You've seen all the words previous reviews have used to describe the Oberoi Gurgaon--"awesome", "amazing", "opulent", etc. It's all true, even if we are starting to run out of superlatives to describe this fabulous hotel. We stayed there for two weeks as my husband had business in Gurgaon. I have never stayed in a hotel that long and I was still sorry to leave...could have stayed another month. From start to finish we were totally pampered. The airport pickup in a BMW was a welcome touch after such a long flight, and a 5am arrival which had us rather disoriented, having never been to India before. By the end of the first day, virtually everyone in the hotel knew our names and where we were from, even the security guards and the bartenders. The servers in 361 and Amaranta remembered all of our preferences and little pecadillos--thank you Sanjay for the mint tea and toast every morning! As I passed through the gorgeous lobby, the beautiful assistant managers in their colorful saris--especially the charming Baneet--always stopped to chat, worrying that perhaps I might be bored while my husband was busy doing his thing.

But that would have been impossible! First I feasted on the breakfast buffet (creating my own fusion cuisine of watermelon juice, upma, parathas, and idlis with sambhar, with my toast and scrambled eggs!). Then I worked it off in the well-equipped fitness center, where the very attentive attendant supplied me with water, fresh towels, and headphones. Back to the room to use the high-speed wifi to check my emails, then off to to pool to relax and read a bit. Each day the pool attendant brought me water to drink and a spritzer bottle to cool off with, towels, suntan lotion, and a little treat, like mango ice tea, all in a beautiful wooden tray.

Some days I went into Delhi to sightsee and shop, eschewing taxis for the hotel car service. Yes, it was somewhat pricey, but what a pleasure. If you have ever been to Delhi and have experienced the crazy chaotic traffic, cars carving out five lanes where there are only two, and horns honking incessantly, you will appreciate the concept of sitting in the back of a BMW 7-series with a uniformed chauffeur (Liyakut was terrific!), who takes you on the itinerary of your own choosing and is waiting for you as you move on. Whether it was to the National Museum with its awesome collection of miniature paintings, the quaint Crafts Museum, or the shops at the Khan Market (don't miss Fabindia and Anokhi!), the car and driver awaited me like I was a princess. And as we drove through the city, Liyakut would give me a mini-sightseeing tour and tell me the history of the place.

The concierges at the Oberoi Gurgaon were, of course, terrific. They helped me design the itinerary for these outings, and arranged lunch in town, too. And when I mentioned that I was a Master Gardener and loved the enormous, creative flower arrangements at the hotel, the concierge arranged for me to meet the head gardener of the property! This, to me, was the signature of the Oberoi's service: Identify the guest's needs or interests, and satisfy them. By the way, the hotel's iconic flower arrangement in the lobby--the one you see featured in their PR--is made up of 2,500 red carnations that takes two gardeners 16 hours to complete. I know, as their boss told me so!

Our room was beautiful and had every convenience, including some I had never thought about in our very frequent travels. The desk drawer was replete with built-in outlets and UBS connections for all our gadgets and gizmos, and accomodated both US and UK plugs without need for adaptors. The curtains were automated and could be raised and lowered via a button by the bed, and the butler on call 24/7 could be similarly summoned. A bowl of fruit on our coffee table was freshened daily, as was the ample supply of mineral water. (An aside, the hotel's water quality is excellent and we did not hesitate to use it to brush our teeth, etc.) The hotel had a great choice of complimentary newspapers, and delivered four to us daily--two local papers, the WSJ, and the Herald-Trib. We had a huge walk-in closet with a large safe big enough to accomodate my husband's laptop and my iPad along with all the jewelry I bought at the hotel's shop, Tijori. The bathroom had its own flat-screen TV and a large tub, but more to our liking a huge walk-in shower with great water pressure. We had two sinks and tons of towels, and the toiletries were top-notch. One day the housekeeper rang our bell and presented us with a bottle of mouthwash; she had noted that the bottle we had brought with us was nearly empty and thought we might like some more! Again, identify and satisfy...

As for the restaurants, we rarely bothered to leave the hotel in two weeks. 361 served the afore-mentioned awesome breakfast buffet--catering to Indian, Western, and Asian tastes--and at dinner time converted into a multi-cuisine format like most luxury hotels in Delhi. On one side you could get an Indian menu, or a Western menu with pasta, pizzas (they have their own pizza oven!), and burgers. On the other side was a teppanyaki grill, and a sushi bar. John, the teppanyaki chef, was lots of fun to talk to, especially when I learned that we shared a love of the Chicago Bulls!

Amaranta is the Oberoi's upscale Indian seafood restaurant. The first time we ate there we walked out totally over-stuffed, as we did not realize how many complimentary dishes came with the meal. It started with a huge bread selection with multiple condiments, olive oil and butter as well as chutneys and pickles, and there was a "palate-cleanser" sorbet with champagne. We were there during a promotion, and also got a gratis glass of champagne to start. The meal finished with a little tray of mignardises after the "regular" dessert. So although the meal was relatively pricey, the extras were really valuable and filling, so we didn't order as much at subsequent meals there. The seafood itself was pristine--the crab was great--and the preparations were delicious, but if you wanted something cooked a different way, all you needed to do was ask.

We also had the (frequent) opportunity to sample the hotel's wine selection. Because of taxes, fees, shipping and the like, Western wines are very pricey in India (think $100 for a K-J chard). But we are intrepid wine-tasters and gave Indian wines a go. The reds were just so-so, but the whites, particularly the Sula chenin blanc and Sula sauvignon blanc, were excellent and a relative bargain. We had some nice chats with the hotel's new sommeliere, a young female named Krystal, who was from Cleveland of all places!

Similar to the examples I read in other reviews of the Oberoi, the kitchen could not do enough to please us. Chef Sandeep personally came out one day and asked if there was anything he could cook for me that was not on the menus anywhere in the hotel. He was worried, he said, that we would get bored with his food after two weeks! No way! But he was rather insistent, so I mentioned that of all the wonderful exotic fruits on his breakfast buffet--including dragonfruit and rambutan--I had not yet seen my favorite, mangosteen. This is a fruit never seen in the U.S., as it is highly perishable (though I understand someone is trying to grow mangosteen in California), and even in Asia it has a very short season. Chef said he would try to find some for me. The next morning, I was advised with great regret that the chef's team had searched all over Delhi, had checked with everyone of their purveyors, but there was not a mangosteen to be had anywhere. I thought the chef was going to commit the Indian version of hari-kari over this. It was very sweet, and I thanked him and said not to worry. But two days later...I'm sitting at breakfast and out comes the chef to my table with a platter and personally presents me with three...mangosteens! Miracle! But wait! The following week, they found four more for me!

I also asked for the recipe for Chef Sandeep's wonderful sambhar, a spicy vegetable stew that is ladled over idli (pouffy semolina buns) or--in my case--just about everything including scrambled eggs). The day before we checked out, not only did I get the recipe, but it was written on a parchment scroll, and affixed to a gold-foil round tray surrounded by little plastic containers of the listed ingredients, each labelled--turmeric, curry leaves, tamarind paste, hing, methi--the whole thing gorgeously wrapped in gold lame cloth and tied with a huge red ribbon. My carryon bag will probably be forever scented by the spices of samhbar, a lasting souvenir of India. Last night we finally made the sambhar at home, and while it didn't have the zip of Sandeep's, it was pretty good!

And that was not the only gift we received when we finally left the hotel for a tour of Rajasthan. The Oberoi's sales manager, Sukh, took us to a terrific dinner at Saffrons, the classical Indian restaurant at the Trident, the sister property right next door. The decor was elegant and there was live Indian music to accompany our excellent meal. Though he was unable to stay and join us as originally planned--Sukh and his wife were on their way to a typically epic wedding that night (he got home at 4:30am and had to go right back to work)--still he ordered our meal and wine and chatted with us for a bit before leaving. And Sukh also presented us with two beautiful silk scarves, in a box so lovely I couldn't leave it behind, as mementos of our stay.

The restaurant staff also presented us with a big box of their bakery's wonderful chocolate cookies, wrapped in a royal blue silk ribbon (apparently wrapping gifts here is an art, like in Japan). Baneet, the assistant manager, gave us kisses and hugs and two more beautifully-boxed scarves, and I made her promise to visit us in Chicago when she moves to the U.S. next year to get married. (Of course, she had not met her intended yet, an IT guy living in Newark.) And just before we left the room with our bags, the elegantly suited head housekeeper and his lovely young trainee rang the bell and handed us a bouquet of long-stemmed red roses. Yikes! I felt like I was in the old TV show, "Queen for a Day".

All in all, this was the best hotel we have ever stayed in, and my spouse and I have been traveling for both business and pleasure for over 40 years. Our points of comparison include the Oriental in Bangkok, the Peninsula in Hong Kong, chateaux in the Loire Valley, manor homes in England, and assorted Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, and St. Regis properties around the world. We also had the opportunity after leaving Gurgaon to stay in other Oberois, including the celebrated Amarvilas in Agra, Rajvilas in Jaipur, and Udaivilas in Udaipur, as well as two excellent Taj properties, the amazing Umaid Bhawan in Jodphur and the Taj Mahal in Delhi. While they were all fantastic, the Oberoi in Gurgaon exceeded them in every way--accomodations, food, and especially, service.

Namaste and many thanks to the staff at the Oberoi Gurgaon for a wonderful experience!

If you are planning a trip to Delhi, I would ignore the fact that Gurgaon seems inconvenient unless you are doing business there or need to be close to the airport. Stay at the Oberoi Gurgaon no matter what, and get a car and driver to take you into old or new Delhi or Agra. You won't regret it one bit!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the swimming pool. It is quiet and the view is lovely.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
OberoiGurgaon_NCR, Front Office Manager at The Oberoi, Gurgaon, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are overwhelmed by your feedback.

Never before has anyone described their stay in such detail as you. It has been a delight to read your review. We have already shared this with the entire team especially with the team members that you have named.

We thank you from the bottom of our heart and wish that we get a chance to see you again at The Oberoi, Gurgaon very soon.

477 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This was my first time ever being in India and while staying in resorts like the Oberoi, you really forget that you are in another world.

The Oberoi had gorgeous rooms, super comfortable beds, and very relaxing bathing options. It was a great way to end a very hectic business trip for me.

And the interal views of this property were just breathtaking. Really quite an impressive resort.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
OberoiGurgaon_NCR, Front Office Manager at The Oberoi, Gurgaon, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback.

Your positive sentiments have ben shared with the team. We are delighted that we were able to make you feel at home. We understand that it is important to find a relaxing room after a hard day's work and we are happy that we were able to live up to your expectations.

We look forward to your next visit.

Norwalk, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I stayed at the Oberoi hotel last week on my first trip to India. My trip through India began and ended in Delhi, with an intermediary stop in Hyderabad. The service at the hotel was phenomenal. While I have stayed at some pretty high end hotels in the States, and travel frequently for business, the level of service that I experienced at this hotel was beyond that which I had every experienced before.

The Staff seemed to anticipate just about every need that I had. My first meal at the hotel was a Saturday Brunch. My waiter, Sanjay was very polite and eager to serve. He kept volunteering different types of food, bread, salad and appeared genuinely concerned when I kept saying no to the treats he was offering. (Almost like a Jewish/Italian mother minus the guilt :-). When I mentioned that I cannot eat most bread products because I have a gluten intolerance, he smiled and brought me some freshly baked gluten free bread (without me asking). That evening when I returned for dinner, he voluntarily brought both the regular and the gluten free menu and provided a basket of gluten free bread. I headed down to Hybderabad the next day and returned to the Delhi (and the Oberoi) on Tuesday evening with my colleagues. Sure enough, Sanjay was my server and once again without me asking, he brought me the gluten free menu.

This is just one example of the service levels at the hotel. Above that, the rooms were comfortable and impeccably maintained, and everyone that I encountered exceedingly polite and eager to service. It took a little to get used to coming from an American "self-service" background. I can assure you that my next trip to Delhi (currently estimated for the fall 2013) will be to the Oberoi.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sparing your time to write about us.

Words of appreciation like these are the reason why we have a highly motivated and skilled team, that tries and anticipates every need of our guests. We are delighted that we were able to live up to your expectations.

Sanjay is one of our most valued team member and with his hard work, has wowed every guest that he has interacted with. Your positive sentiments have been shared with Sanjay and the entire team.

We look forward to your next visit with us. Please feel free to write to me at gaurav.issar@oberoihotels.com, th enext time you plan to visit Gurgaon.

Thank you again.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This was my 5th and last Oberoi experience on a tour, and it blew me away. After providing very good but not AMAZING feedback in Jaipur, the hotel over-compensated (but most appreciated) with a HUGE suite upgrade, 2 dozen roses, and a call from the manager of the Jaipur property to discuss my feedback. The fact that they leverage their network to chase opportunities for improvement makes the Oberoi chain very very special. I had big plans to go out for the evening, but could not get myself to leave such a beautiful hotel! I went to dinner at their Indian restaurant, which was fabulous. One example of exemplary service came at dinner - I commented on enjoying the spices served with the bread, and a sache of them were delivered complimentary with my bill. I wish I had had more time to play at the hotel, but will definitely return if the opportunity presents itself.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
OberoiGurgaon_NCR, Front Office Manager at The Oberoi, Gurgaon, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are happy that inspite of a few glitches, we managed to meet up to your expectations during your trip. As a group, we pride ourselves in communicating and compensating for anything that may not have added value to our guests' visit at any of our hotels. The team at Jaipur and Gurgaon thank you for providing us with an oppurtunity to do so.

We look forward to your next visit and hope to see you again soon.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

From start to finish such a great stay - given i stay in around 70 hotels a year this was a very refreshing business stay!

Check in was a breeze and led directly to my massive suite and shown round properly, not just given the key!

Room service was just as you'd expect in a 5* hotel , only they 'gifted' me a dessert sampler when i told them i was being good and sticking to a diet! Naughty but extremely nice!
Breakfast a great mix of western, asian and bakery.

The Seafood restaurant was simply amazing modern Indian cuisine - again they persuaded me to have a 'gratis' starter.... somehow i feel they know you need to enjoy their food!

Checking out at 4.30am i knew wasnt going to be fun but a simple request for coffee for them meant a packed full breakfast picnic pack for me and a colleague ( so generous we ended up doling out danish pastries to half of the airport check in queue)!

Giving guests a present at check out too - a very thoughtful and appreciated touch.

To finish - having left a pair of shoes in the wardrobe , having them couriered back to me for free was the final icing on the cake.... even after you check out their great service continues!

This hotel is never going to be a cheap stay but categorically was the best hotel i have ever stayed in so worth every $ paid.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
OberoiGurgaon_NCR, Front Office Manager at The Oberoi, Gurgaon, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

It gives us an immense pleasure of having met your expectations on so many grounds, that one loses count. And coming from someone who travels so much is our icing on the cake.

Thank you so much for sparing your valuable time to write about us. As a team, we strive to be best in business and make an all ou effort to make every one of our guest feel at home.

Your feedback has been shared with the team, and the entite team is delighted to have had a chance to serve you.

We look forward to your next visit at The Oberoi, Gurgaon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

This is absolutely the best hotel I have ever stayed in. The spa is amazing and exclusive for guests only. Check out the salon as well...most amazing manicure and pedicure as well. The service is impeccable; food is amazing; and they make you feel like you are at home.

Room Tip: Don't let them put you on floor 1 or 2 facing the outer space. The view is awful.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
OberoiGurgaon_NCR, Front Office Manager at The Oberoi, Gurgaon, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words.

Your positive sentiments have been shared with the team. Our World Class Hair and Nail Spa is one of the finest Spas available in the country. We are glad that you liked the services. It is a delightful feeling to know that our guests feel at home whilst staying with us.

The entire team at The Oberoi, Gurgaon looks forward to your next visit with us.

Bombay, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Gorgeous hotel with regular rooms that are like a suite. The superb service makes you feel truly pampered. The rooms are in a separate block from the reception and the restaurants.

The Oberoi has a lovely outdoor pool with pretty blue tiles. Really enjoyed swimming there with only a few parrots and lapwings flying overhead for company.

Would definitely like to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out to write about us.

We are delighted that the hotel and the services were up to your satisfaction. The room size is one of the largest in any city hotel around the world. The swimming pool is an outdoor heated pool and is larger than an Olympic size pool at 55 Meteres.

Your positive sentiments have been shared with the team. We look forward to your next visit at The Oberoi, Gurgaon.

Been to The Oberoi, Gurgaon? Share your experiences!