“2 nice steaks, appalling fish” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Eclectic
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Derbyshire
“2 nice steaks, appalling fish”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

On our first visit, we both ordered the 300gm steaks. Mine was perfectly cooked (rare), OH's was OK (medium).

The staff really try to up-sell their menu.

"No, I don't want an egg on my steak! If I did, I'd ask for it".
"No, I don't want a sweet, thanks. No, really, I don't want one. No, I'm not interested in a sweet"
etc etc

This seems to be a common complaint running through other reviews.

We decided to try Spice Garden again, I had the steak again and it was lovely. OH ordered Pomfret. He asked to see the fish before he ordered but they seemed to think that was a problem. The waitress was quite 'off' with us. We should have taken notice of our misgivings and ordered something else.

The fish came and it bore absolutely no resemblance to Pomfret (which my OH had numerous times in different restaurants in Candolim & Calangute).

It was served on a sizzler plate - what is the point of cooking a delicate fish and then leaving it to cook even more on a red-hot plate?

The fish was dry and appeared to have 2 heads. We think they hadn't got Pomfret (hence the reluctance to bring the uncooked fish out for us to look at) and just cobbled something together out of what fish they had left.

The waitresses didn't take kindly to our comments about the food. We paid the exact amount of the bill (no tip) and will almost certainly never go back.

If it wasn't for my 2 very nice steaks, I'd have given this restaurant 1/5.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

surrey
“Best steaks in Candolim by far.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Consistency is a problem in all these restaurants but our PROPER steaks were fine. Insulted with uncooked chips first time but persevered and meals got better. Did not want rice or onions with the steak just chips. Pity their sauces could not include a brandy,cream and pepper version. ONLY place to eat steak in Candolim. A bit pushy but tell them straight................
And no we didn't want the 'homemade' coconut oil that does all the things under the sun to improve your health...........I was interested to see that selling paintings/drawings was a previous sideline; stick to the steaks is my advice to them.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
newport,s,wales
“loved the steak”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

shame about the bad reviews but we ate here 3 times during our stay and was 3 superb evenings with great food and lovely company really enjoyed the desserts also our favourite this year

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“This place as really gone downhill”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Revisited Spice Garden this year and we were very disapointed. The Steaks were only average, the chips under cooked and the sauces akin to dish water. The staff were very pushy with their , extra's, all of which was reflected in the very high bill. Too many good restaurants in Candolim to risk this one again.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Reading, United Kingdom
“Disgusting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We were visiting for dinner the female staff were very rude and pushy and unkept looking more interested in pushing her very poor drawings. First we ordered a drink honey bee and coke in the next 20 minutes of waiting for the drinks that still hadnt arrived iI needed the toilet but never could go in the stench from them was enough to make you feel sick. And the female we had given our order to was talking to a male outside , with that we left and we feel had a great escape from gastric problems, our advise stay would be stay away

• Visited March 2013