“Great food and service” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
South of England
“Great food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We were taken here one evening by local friends. The fact that locals eat here was a good indication of what we received.

It wasn't that busy the evening we ate here. A good mix of tourists, both UK, Scandinavian, Russian/Ukrainian, domestic Indians and locals.

Enjoyed a very pleasant evening with attentive service and what turned out to be excellent food.

I'd certainly return and happy to recommend.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

North East England
“Very nice experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This shack was almost too conveniently placed - right outside the rear gate of our hotel, The O Hotel. I think that is why we avoided it at first, in the event it was too good and prevented us venturing further afield!! We tried it twice towards the end of our holiday, both occasions for an evening meal. We found the portion sizes quite generous so shared a starter on the second occasion. The Vegetable pakora and onion pakora were very nice, but enough for two persons in our opinion. We both had curries on the first occasion. I had Vindalho and my wife a prawn curry. Both were delicious and although the waiter said the Vindalho was going to be spicy, it wasn't ridiculous like some UK efforts! Nontheless it was still spicy. Second occasion was chicken Xacuti - a delicious goan curry which I am determined to re-create now I am back home.

Calamari cater for all food requirements and they have a proper wood fired pizza oven, tandoors and virtually do any food you desire. It was always popular during the day with sunbathers too.

My only criticisms were, didn't like the small bottles of Kingfisher as I kept having to ask for another one every 15 minutes! Secondly the live entertainment on the second occasion was a tad too loud so we found ourselves finding the furthest seat away from it!

All staff were friendly, helpful and courteous. Prices were average and competitive.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
“perfect day at the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

A week long trip to Goa has become something of a family tradition for us. Since we stay close to Aguada, Calamari has been a regular haunt. For a day at the beach, this is a perfect choice, a swim, some gossip, a bit of sand castles. This laid back shack has great food, is very kid friendly with good service. The pizzas are a hit with the kids so is the calamari pasta. Only grouse is that the mohitos increasingly taste watered down. Cant remember a time when service was bad, so far although it's become very pricey lately. For the more adventurous, the water sports on the beach are just a walk away.
Evenings get active with live music with DJ during the season.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Jaipur
“Super fun !! Good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Great afternoon , live band fantastic croud and good food . I guess that's sums up a fantastic Sunday afternoon .
Keep it up

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Saligao, India
“Hot water and Teabag=Tea..or it should!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Well walking up to this each shack looks impressive, lovely setting right on the beach, clean and tidy...you can see the chefs cooking...that's where it ended for us.

We went in the afternoon so not very busy, quite a few staff about, but after ordering and watching them, half of them just wandering about not knowing what to do.
I ordered a simple pot of tea and jacket potato, my husband a beer and a baguette.
The potato was 2 small ones with no butter so very dry and the cheese was tasteless..my husband's baguette was so sweet he couldn't eat it.
The biggest problem was my tea..something so simple became a hard task for them.
1pot, 1 teabag should = a pot of tea...it came out in a medium sized pot with 1 teabag...but must have been sat there for ages as it was like treacle and tasted spicy..I complained and told them I didn't want another one but they came out with another one anyway.
This took ages to come out again, the waiters avoiding us it seemed...finally it arrives, a much smaller pot with 2 teabags..managed about a small cup as it too was not upto the job.

This got worse when we asked for the bill...I watched the waiter go ask..after a while he was given the folder, he then looked at it and put it on the counter.. walked away and went for a drink of water then wandered off..after about 10 mins I said to my husband I bet that's our bill..it was.

It seems to be 1 of the In places to be and is very popular....if going by food and service is any indication..Calamari needs throwing back in the sea..overpriced food with bad service!

• Visited February 2013