“Clean, Friendly, Basic & Affordable. STAY HERE!” 5 of 5 stars

Bougainvillea Guest House Goa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   83C Sinquerim Bardez, Candolim, Bardez 403519, India   |
Ranked #1 of 52 Hotels in Candolim
UK
“Clean, Friendly, Basic & Affordable. STAY HERE!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is the place to stay in North Goa if you don't want to break the bank and still have a more than comfortable stay. Lourenco and his staff are all really friendly and flexible, with good local knowledge. When we requested a taxi to a restaurant 10 minutes away he just drove us himself without charge. Nice breakfast, super chilled. Tuscany Gardens is a nice Italian 5 minute walk away and beach is also just a 5 minute walk. If you're after a simple, homely base to explore North Goa, stay with Lourenco & friends!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Before visiting this place I have browsed through some of the feedback as mentioned over here. I got the taste of friendliness and warmth of Lourenco, before my arrival over the phone .Having traveled all over India and some parts in the world I could spot on the difference between other places and this one on that one phone call itself. This place is The Best Place in Goa. You get the owner and his family (his wife and son) looking after you, to make you feel Home. You get a wonderful, jovial competent Sheff, Freddie telling you stories of his Life ,about his earlier professional experience while you enjoy morning breakfast and you are staying at a wonderful property. Rooms are specious with a seating room and a refrigerator. If you think you are my type,(buying and stocking wine and cheese), you need to talk to lorenceo, he will take you to the nearest supermarket. If you think you are getting bored, you need to talk to Lorenceo and he will take you somewhere . There is Eugneno (sorry, if I misspelled) who is always at your service with a smile. The rooms are cleaned daily. The toilet and bath is/are spotless, the towels provided are large, soft fresh.The small restaurant on the lawn is , where you can unwind, do some sleep (its so peaceful) and concentrate on serious food. Freddy will ask you every afternoon what kind of food you require, I will recommend you go ahead either with Goan fish curry rice or continental. Mario and others are at your disposal on request with their nicely maintained vehicle if you require a day out. The place is located at the fag end of a very silent and beautiful lane.I used to take an afternoon walk everyday through the same , come to the main road and reach the beach in less than 15 minutes. I stayed during monsoon.. The day I came back, I felt sad. I will visit again. I will visit there again and again.

Room Tip: The property has all kinds of rooms (even a penthouse). You talk to the owner over the phone. mentio...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

LOURNECO is great. Nice tour for us in north goa. location is just behind the VIVANTA-by TAJ. sinquerim beach in goa is walable distance. we have taken a passion pro bike @300/ per day arranged by lourenco for 4 full days. by bike calangute is 20 mins distance, candolim is 10 mins distnace. Lourenco also arranged for us a pick-up from THIVIM railway station by non-ac swift dzire with 700 rs and dropped to airport with same car with 900 rs.

Room Tip: We stayed @ room no 201. excellent room with anti-room contains double door fridge,32" LCD, mod...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We had a wedding to attend to in The Lalit South Goa and so decided that we would spend some more days before the wedding in North Goa and as usual called Lourenco the last minute and he mentioned only the Penthouse was available and so it was finalised and we landed at 3:30pm on a quite Sunday the 28th afternoon. Was thinking that why to disturb him on a sunday. But guess what the whole family was waiting to receive us. Lourenco, Annie, their son, Freddy and the rest of the staff. Awesome.

The minute I pulled up, a thought was in my mind " Home Sweet Home in Goa" that was exactly how I felt, staying here for the 2nd time. We were here the last October too.

The food, service, rooms and hospitality were outstanding! Freddy's breakfast was awesome & service was always with a smile. Annie cooked up some amazing fish and prawns for a dinner. We stayed till the 31st morning and then left for The Lalit.

Looks like this is going to be our 2nd home in Goa every year for a nice break. Would never even think of going somewhere else! The penthouse was amazing. The rooms were clean and tidy. We had actually asked Lourenco for an extra bed for my 12 year old daughter only, guess what he added another extra bed for our 5 year old daughter too free of cost, even though we had not asked for another extra bed for her. This is called service with a smile! It brings a smile that Lourenco & Annie value customer service and friendship more than anything else.

If you want a nice quiet place, that's better than some so called 5-7 Stars, but with better food, this is the place.

Room Tip: Take the Penthouse, its awesome.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Guisborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My partner and I spent 4 nights at the Bougainvillea from 29th October 2012. It came at the end of a couple of weeks travelling around Rajasthan, and we were looking forward to some chillout time at the beach.

The excellent service began before we even set off. The owner, Lourenco, answered all emails promptly and helped with travel arrangements from Goa airport and I had complete confidence that everything would be good before we even got there.

The whole team were there to greet us - by name- when we arrived. We didn't book the penthouse but the room was still huge (bedroom, bathroom and sitting area), basically furnished as you would expect in a guest house, brilliantly clean, very very cool, and we had lovely fresh flowers and a well stocked, cheap minibar. Needless to say this was a very good start.

Lourenco and his team are completely service-driven. Their aim is to make your stay as comfortable and effortless as possible. And unlike other places we stayed in India, there is absolutely no tip-chasing. We of course left a tip because the service was outstanding, however there was none of the awkward waiting around for a tip that we found in many other places during our stay. The staff were friendly, helpful, and an absolute delight. Nothing is too much trouble, they just want you to relax and enjoy your holiday.

During the course of the stay, Lourenco helped us with taxis, restaurant bookings, local info, and even drove us to places himself, free of charge, on a couple of occasions. Our breakfasts were delicious, we ordered dinner one evening and had Goan curries which were amazing, and our room was cleaned and cooled to perfection every day. We could not have asked for more, especially for the price we paid.

The guest house is located in a lovely neighbourhood in Fort Aguada, down a quiet residential street, where all the neighbours said hello to us every morning and evening when we passed. It felt like a real haven. You can reach the beach on foot in just ten minutes, and when the tide is right (for most of the day) you can walk down the beach all the way to Sinquerim if you have the energy and if it's not too hot.

I have to say I am really disappointed to see the other recent review here and I am having a hard time believing it. The Bougainvillea website does not misrepresent the property in any way. In fact I think it undersells it. Yes, the garden is small, but the property is a family-run guest house, not a big hotel. And the hotel is not on the beach - it is a short walk away. If you want a hotel on the beach, look for a beach hut. And as for the owner only being interested in money - not in our experience, we paid less here than in many places we stayed in India and received so much more. So, that's my piece said.

I would recommend this place, and stay there again, without hesitation. Thank you Lourenco and team for comfortable, memorable stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bangalore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We booked this place for 6 nights based on tripadvisor review but ended up checking out just after one night. I would not recommend this place if you are traveling with family. Beach is a little far from this place and you have to take a vehicle to go to the beach.

Pros: - The place was very clean.

Cons: The photos were misleading - the lawn this is shown in the photo is actually half size in reality. The owner is very money minded - even if we checked out after one night - he took one more night rent from us. We were given continental breakfast with our package but the cost that we paid was not adjusted for the breakfast.

Room Tip: Book the room in advance. Take the penthouse or upper floor rooms with big size balcony.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
bougainvilleaGoa, Owner at Bougainvillea Guest House Goa, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
First of all thank you very much for your review, secondly let me explain the reservation history, Sir, you booked the room on 13th Sept for 6 nights from 14th Oct till 20th Oct, and sent one night non refundable advance deposit. Later on the dates were chaged from 18th Oct to 24th Oct check out, howerever your dates were chages again from 19th Oct to 25th Oct, for which we have no issue, everything was confirmed at no extra charge although I lost the booking on 2 consecutive days, after all this confirmation I received another e-mail from you on 14 Oct, jst few days before your arrival stating to change the booking dates from 19th to 20th check in and check out on 26th Oct instead of 25th Oct. and also if I can accomodate your friend(couple with 2 kids) in my guest house, for which I suggested guest house near by as I was runing full house, Since both families wanted to stay togather, you asked me if there are 2 rooms available in the same place, and I responded with negative responce since I would loose my confirmed booking due to short notice. Overall, it was not possible to change the booking from 19th Oct to 20th Oct check-in coz i would be loosing another day, you still made few more calls after that at Bouganvillea guest house to check if I can still accomodate your friend which was not possible.
On 19th Oct. you arrived at around 4 pm, you were personally wellcomed along with my staff and were escorted to your suite, when I asked you about the suite, you were completely satisfied. Your room was set up with fresh oriental lilies, your were given extra ordinary service to make you feel at home.
Your first complain was that the Reviews and pictures on trip advisor are missleading, let me make it clear to you that the reviews and pictures are uploaded by my valued guests who respect the beauty of Bouganvillea guest house. Second complain was that the owner is money minded, Let me tell you that I am running an guest house with exquisite 8 suites and not hundred ordinary rooms hotel, also my guest house is not charity institution, we work hard to maintain out standards and my staff have to be paid sellary, who would not work for free. Upon your 6 nights reservation, you were suppose to pay balance of 5 nights on your day of arrival, which you were not even asked for, on 20th Oct at 11 am you decided to check out, as a service oriented owner, I asked you the reason for the cancellation of rest of 5 nights booking, the only reason you mentioned then, was that you thought that the guest house was located on the beach, although I had informed you on telephonic conversation that beach is 10 mins walk from the guest house, I am also overwelmed to inform you all my reviews as well say the same thing. I requested you to check out the next day, which would serve me as a time to take new booking for the same room, but you decided to go as you had already booked different hotel with your friend, hence forth I had no other option then to charge you for one extra night. Lets put this scenario in this way, You paid one night advance deposit which is valid till 11 am on 20th Oct, if i had to come and knock at your door saying your stay time is up and you need to go right away, then how would you react?
During our telephonic conversation I had mentioned to you that continental breakfast is complementary just because you were staying for 6 nights, complementary breakfast does not mean adjusting or minimising from total package, its your choise whether to have it or not.
Lastly you mentioned poor sleep quality, my king sized bed with 10" box spring mattres, is meant for 2 persons comfortable sleep and not for 4.
Me and my hospitable staff, here at Bouganvillea guest house concentrate extreamly on service value, so that out guests feel at home away from home, and all my reviews are true.
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

though not easy to find, the place is worth searching for it!

in first line, it's truly one of
the cleanest places in india. the only dust in the rooms was upon the shelve. and this you won't see. bathroom and anything else was top class clean! the whole house is surrounded by a beatifully made garden with masssive palm trees. the building is located in a cery decent, horn free residential area.

the food they serve is very tasty. freddy, the cook, is a very kind guy with the great goal of fulfilling all your wishes. the kitchen and housekeeping team is very very kind and helpful. they even serve REAL filter coffee which is pretty good as well!

the beach is just a five minute walk away, the lighthouse can be reached by a path within 20 mins. calangute, btw. not my favourite, is siuated a 10 min taxi ride away.

definitely one of the best midrange stays i've ever had in india!!!

• Stayed October 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Candolim
Santana Beach Resort
Seashell Beach Suites
#2 of 52 in Candolim
5.0 of 5 stars 77 reviews
Acron Waterfront Resort

Been to Bougainvillea Guest House Goa? Share your experiences!