“Thea - Good food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of THEA Bar & Kitchen

THEA Bar & Kitchen
Road No 82, Film Nagar, Jubilee Hills | Beside Quiznos Sub, Hyderabad 500096, India
+(91)40 20019007
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #186 of 3,499 Restaurants in Hyderabad
Hyderabad, India
“Thea - Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

This one had been on my wish-list since it opened its doors, but with procrastination being one of my attributes, it was only last week that I, along with a Foodie friend, finally ticked the box besides "THEA".

Quaint pathway as you approach the door, and once inside the cool, inviting interiors provide instant relief from the merciless summer sun. We were seated immediately - only 2 other tables were occupied when we walked in at 2.15 pm.
The service staff was friendly, helpful in explaining about the food, and with suggestions about the right food for our palates. As soon as our orders were taken, we were presented with a fresh bread basket, and a small bowl of garlic butter, and the mandatory Olive oil, Balsamic Vinegar, Tabasco Sauce. Excellent start, I must say....

Being a little rushed, we decided to order the main course straight away. We ordered a Fillet Mignon (Beef) Steak, and a Roast Leg of Lamb. The beef steak was a revelation - perfectly cooked medium rare, accompanied with buttered veggies (grilled), mashed potatoes, and some extra jus, on our request. The mashed potatoes were avoidable - I've made better ones at home myself. The buttered veggies were excellent, as was the jus. By far the best steak I've had in a while.

The Roast Leg of Lamb is actually a misnormer. What we expected was a whole leg of lamb, or at least enough slices of it. What we got was an overload of sauteed mushrooms, with a few pieces supposedly from the leg of a lamb, along with a roasted jacket-potato with cream, and assorted grilled veggies. Tastewise, spot-on, the mutton was cooked until it was oh-so-tender, just right ! The potato and the veggies were good too. Quantity-wise, paltry and stingy. It was as if someone had added the mutton as an after-thought, on realising that it's name called for some meat in it as well. Brought this to the notice of the steward, and was told it'll be conveyed to the kitchen staff. :-/

Will I come back or recommend it ? Yes to both. Holds a lot of promise, and lots there on the menu that is screaming for a re-visit, soon. The damages were about Rs.1100/- A.I. for 2 people, for only the main course.

Rating :

Food : 4.5/5
Ambience : 3.5/5
Quantity : 2.5/5 (only coz of the meagre amount of mutton)
VFM : 3/5

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Decent place, a must try for foodies”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Went to Thea last night with my wife. We decided on it after going through listings on Zomato. 9:30 PM Saturday night it was and so we were expecting a lot of hustle bustle at the place. But as we entered the door, our jaws sort of dropped. There was only one table occupied! My wife stared at me and the telepathy that was going between us was a) is this the right place? and b) why is this place empty! Her shoulders sort of dropped down but I convinced her that maybe its a hidden gem. We asked and got to know that the place was around 3 months old. Not so old... hmmm.

We sat down and as we started ordering, two more tables got occupied. The menu is well thought, I must say. It is small, not a laundry list of everything that some places have. We decided to order spinach & ricotta analis first. However, the waiter told us that they did not have it that day. We were sort of stunned. New place, small menu. And what we ordered was not available! We asked if he could check and a senior server came back. He mentioned that they indeed had the dish available. We smiled and confirmed that and also grilled zucchini rolls.

The spinach & ricotta analis was just awesome! I instantly fell in love it it. My wife thought it was a bit bland but so be it. It was really good. The zucchini rolls were sort of okay. They were fried well but I thought they could have tasted better. Nevertheless, the place is worth a visit. Ambiance is good, service adequate and food nice. Too bad only few tables were occupied on a Saturday night.

• Visited November 2013