“Not worth the money though a few bright sparks.” 3 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Engine Bowli, Hyderabad 500053, India   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 274 Hotels in Hyderabad
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Not worth the money though a few bright sparks.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

What a huge disappointment Taj Falaknuma! After reading all the rave reviews on trip advisor and hearing it from friends we decided to try the Falaknuma instead of visiting our favoured hotels like the Udai Vilas or Leela Lake Palace.

It all started at the check in when the hotel tried to palm off the worst possible room in the hotel calling it a suite instead of our booked palace garden view room. When we objected since the room had one window the size 2 feet by 2 feet we were given our category of room. Quite amazing that they should try to do something like this at a reputed chain as the Taj. The garden view room was good but not extraordinary. The bathroom had a wall over the bathtub layered with small mirrors. Quite a few of those mirrors were cracked and made the whole place loose it charm. What seemed really strange was why the cracked mirrors hadn't been replaced?

Next we booked spa appointments from our newly allotted room but since In the hotel system that room had been allotted to someone else they gave up our appointments to the other couple. In a 60 room hotel is it this difficult to do an efficient job? We were left without spa appointments. When you visit a hotel like this and are there for 2 nights every moment is precious and a response such as "sorry we made a mistake "is simply not acceptable. The hotel seriously need to do better than that with their management.

During the tour of the hotel we were shown the very nice bar and so we decided to get a pre -dinner drink there. To our amazement and horror the hotel had a huge wedding function going on in the bar and adjoining areas. We were disappointed that our quiet time was being intruded upon and called for the manager of the hotel to enquire this. He said the wedding was in the open but since it could have rained they moved the wedding function indoors.
It did not occur to him or the management that by doing so they would be greatly compromising the experience of their guest or be cheating them of their reason why they were visiting this luxury palace property in the first place. The manager insisted on not giving us the bill for a round of drinks we ordered as a way of responding to our genuine angst!! As expected we didn't stay in the bar for too long.

Quite amazing that they saw no wrong in having loads of loud wedding attendees (no offence to them, if I was attending a wedding I would have been the same way) strolling about the property.

Now to mention the highlights : The small gym had great equipment and Wilson the trainer who was really enthusiastic. Also noteworthy was Malcolm our butler who was always around to assist and serve. Finally when we did manage to visit the spa it was a really good experience.

Overall service in the restaurants was also very good with Jithin and team. The Indian food was super though the rooms service food came cold and had to be sent back to be reheated. The Caesars salad was very sad with stale leaves turning black on the edges and only a few croutons as a garnish. All in all I think the better part of the experience was the food and dining service in the restaurants. The chef was also always available to cater to special request and this was a nice touch.

Overall Really not worth the money spent. I think the Taj group needs to relearn the meaning of high end hospitality from their competition like the Oberoi and Leela where perfection and luxury is an obsession not a compromise.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Taj Falaknuma is one of the best property at Hyderabad and our stay was made comfortable and memorable with great hospitality by courteous staff . Two restaurants Celeste and Adaa served all types of food . Mr Nasir was really nice to serve us well and I give my wishes .

Stayed December 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

A stay at the Taj Falaknuma is an experience one must have on their bucket list
The Royal touch to every detail is a WOW
The rooms well appointed
The Food that makes you drool way after you over eat
The evening entertainment fun
The arrival at the palace on horse drawn charriot and a royal welcome
Just experience to know what I mean

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Hyderabad, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is the second time, I am staying in this breathtakingly beautiful, four year old palace.

The most unforgettable experience has been the 70 minute performance of the Qawali singers at the Gol Bungalow. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the same. After a whole day's non-stop work, I was so fatigued. But, listening to the Qawali songs has been a refreshing experience; I felt completely rejuvenated. Engrossed I have been with the music. Thanks to Razab Ali and his team of singers. Undoubtedly, Mangu Singh is a gifted singer.

My special thanks to Chef Pentayya and Chef Birender.

Khush,Malcom and Micheal, (all three are Butlers) offered unparelleled service(In room Dining)

Three minute horse carriage ride from the Clock Tower (soon after getting down from the car) to the reception area(Palace facade) is to be experienced to be believed.Memorable and pampered experience it has been for me.

Soujanya and Rachita (both from Palace Services) impressed me with their ready-to-serve attitude.

Chauffeur Syed Omar has been very courteous.

Impeccable food presentation.
Innovative amenities.... yet another thing that touched my heart.

The palace's proud show-piece is the Janana courtyard that ushers guests into an era of Peerless luxury. All the suites are located here.My stay in the Akbar Suite has been truly an experience to be treasured.

Room Tip: The entire palace offers serenity. A perfect oasis for relaxation. Akbar suite is located in a seren...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I live in Hyderabad and so I have been to the Falaknuma on several occasions, for meals and I have also stayed at the palace recently for a weekend.

The main palace building is really nice! However, what ruins the entire experience is the service! Really terrible considering this hotel is one of the more luxurious properties of the Taj group.

Starting from calling to make a reservation - I was hung up on twice and was put on hold for what seemed like eternity! Strange for a hotel that is almost empty most of the time.

When you arrive at the hotel, there is a short palace tour. Every time I have been there the staff member giving the tour could not speak proper English (not expected at a hotel of this caliber) and seemed so disinterested it almost made me not want to be there.

Once the tour is done you are directed to one of 2 restaurants in the hotel. The first meal I had was at the Indian restaurant with family. The restaurant was almost empty so I'm not sure why it took 25 minutes to get the first course out. To my surprise everyone else on the table received their meals expect me. When I asked the server about it he insisted that I had not placed an order for food (because I was only there to watch everyone else eat!) and refused to accept that he made a mistake. My brother in law ordered a beer and they brought him a warm beer right out of the case. If they didn't have cold beer why wouldn't they just say so? He could have offered another drink instead. These might seem petty but it really sours the experience and not what you would expect when you pay $1000 per night.

The next time I was there with my wife we decided to try the Italian restaurant. She was disappointed with her undercooked, raw pasta and me with my melted, watered down gelato and sorbet. Another let down!

Even though the property is beautiful I was hugely disappointed with the consistently bad service on every visit.

I travel extensively across India and stay exclusively at the Taj because I have always appreciated the Taj hospitality, but I would not recommend the Falaknuma Palace because to be honest it is better suited as a museum than a hotel. It is located in the middle of the old city and about an hour away from the commercial center which makes it very inconvenient to get around.

For visitors looking for hotels in Hyderabad, I would highly recommend the Taj Krishna hotel. It is about half the price, located in the heart of the Banjara Hills area and the service is far superior!

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We arrived at the Taj Falqknuma Palace at the end of a great two week trip through Southern India.
Although the hotel is very luxurious and grand, it still retained the feeling of being very welcoming and looked after us beautifully, The entire staff were helpful and attentive, without being overbearing, and our accommodation was excellent, as was the food, We really felt this was one of the most special hotels we had ever stayed at. We would definitely return if we were in that part of the world.

Room Tip: Our rooms were around the central courtyard and were beautiful and comfortable, as well as very quie...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Antwerpen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This extraordinary hotel certainly puts on a show, Arriving by car up a long drive, one reaches the gate to the inner grounds where a four seater carriage drawn by two horses of a local breed with cute crinkly ears await, driven by an immaculately dressed coachman. The ride up a rising driveway to the impressive Italianate palace prepares one for the welcome from the hotel's staff with delicious and innovative fruit drinks and cold towels. The view from that terrace takes in the inner grounds with the wandering peacocks. The one is invited to follow a traditionally dressed footman carrying a golden shield up the stairs to the main door. On the way, there is a surprise which I will not give away.

The hotel is a former palace of the Nizam of Hyderabad and now leased to Taj Hotels who have spent a great deal of money and care on restoring it to its former glory. In a three night stay we did not see all of it but it is built around a central courtyard on a grand scale. Our room was large and exquisitely furnished in keeping with period of the hotel and had all the amenities one would expect of a top five-star hotel.

The staff could not have been more attentive and were extremely pleasant as well. Nothing was too much trouble and it was very pleasant to sit outside with a glass of wine and take in the beauty of the building and its central garden.

There is an Indian and a an International restaurant where the service was again faultless but the atmosphere perhaps is a little austere. We were disappointed in the Indian food as we felt it had been made too bland perhaps to suit American tastes rather than our European. Breakfast on the other hand is outstanding with eggs cooked as you want, fresh fruit, excellent breads and preserves and attentive service.

The building is just stunning with the finest public rooms we have seen in any hotel and we recommend the informative tour of them conducted by the Hotel's Head Butler in the late afternoon. This is even accompanied by a glass of champagne!

To sum up: This is an amazing building finished to a very high standard and staffed by people who seem to enjoy their work. It is a place to savour in its own right. On the other hand it is remote from the city and one is restricted in the evening to dining in unless one organises a trip down the hill and into the centre.

We are glad we hade this experience but nxt rime we will probably seek a hotel with more street life around.

Room Tip: Just choose a room around the central courtyard.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Taj Falaknuma Palace? Share your experiences!