“Out of the world !” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Indore, India
“Out of the world !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

This has reference to my stay at the historical Taj Falaknuma Palace, with my wife, in February 2012.

Our first anniversary was much more than we had expected, all thanks to the team at the majestic Taj Falaknuma Palace in Hyderabad !

We had heard so much about the Taj property but it only had to be experienced to feel the magic. Right from the moment we arrived at the hotel entrance, we were made feel special, and it was an honour to be welcomed by the general manager - Mr. Ranjit Phillipose.

This palace is just too beautiful & unbelievable ! It is a befitting residence of a once-upon-a-time riches man in the world - the Nizam of Hyderabad ! It has such marvellous beauties & artefacts all over the palace, that it seems unreal ! The Taj Hotels & the heirs of the Nizam's family have painfully rebuilt & restored this palace over 13-14 long years to let commoners experience the magic of 'The Mirror of the Sky - The Falaknuma Palace !!!

Although the GM & the guest services manager - Mr. Reekshit Siddhanta, took special care in making us feel like a royalty at the Taj Falaknuma Palace, there were a score of other staff members who made the stay even more delightful in the way they served us. Ms. Sheetal at the Celeste restaurant was the one who took special care of all our taste & dietary requirements, and we are very thankful to her & others at the restaurants for their courteous services.

The anniversary dinner at the mesmerising Gol Bungalow will always remain special & will stand out in our memories of our first stay at the palace. Mr. Reekshit made sure we had fabulous arrangements there, which were complemented by most-delicious food & beverages by the chefs and with the exceptional service by Mr. Raj Kishore & others. The view from & setting of this place is like no other.

It is also worthy to mention that our breakfasts at the Jade Terrace were fabulous, served in most luxurious manner, by the highly capable & courteous staff. The croissants we had here were certainly the best in India, much better than any other hotel's patisserie, including other Taj hotels ! Here, Mr. Jithin was most helpful among others.

The in-room dining was also made special by Mr. Ashwin & his team. Mr. Gautam at the Hookah Bar was also very courteous & we can't forget the amazing pitted Olives we had there, in a very special setting.

We were made aware of the details, stories, & myths surrounding the grandeur of the Taj Falaknuma Palace & the royal family by the palace guide, Mr. Prabhakar. He took us through the various parts of the majestic palace & made us kind of relive the great times of the bygone era. His story-telling was also exceptional & we love the palace tour, which we've also taken at another Taj palace - the Umaid Bhawan Palace, Jodhpur.

These names above are only a few that we could remember, but everyone in the team was exceptionally courteous & caring. We loved that.

The Jiva Spa at the palace was fabulous, with exceptional massage treatments given to us by the therapists there. We were also delighted by the superb Indian & Hyderabadi traditional food at the Adaa restaurant. The biryaanis & Mirch Saalan were fabulous !

We were also delighted by some of the aspects that Taj Hotels & the GM had taken care of, in order to make the stay very luxurious. Main among them were: (i) the absence of buffet concept anywhere at the hotel, specially during breakfast, (ii) absence of tea kettles & coffee presses in rooms - but serving tea/coffee at any desired time.

The GM & the staff also gifted us with souvenirs at the time of departure, which was difficult to undertake ! We also wrote in the guest-book there that it would be difficult to get back to reality after spending 3 days at the magical palace, which was very true ! The hotel staff at the airport also made sure that we had effortless entry & check-in, even though we got a bit late !

The staff at Taj Hotels' reservation & Taj Innercircle had been extremely kind in helping us on this special trip.

Our stay at the Taj Falaknuma Palace was made so memorable & wonderful, with all the specially-caring services & the upgrade to a historical suite. Before staying here, we maintained that the grand Umaid Bhawan Palace by Taj was the finest palace hotel in India, with exceptional service. But after this stay, we were forced to change that the Taj Falaknuma Palace is India's best palace hotel !!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Pune, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

what can i say. a truly amazing hotel and on both my visits i have had a wonderful time,

Basically 100% worth a visit

Amazing place, brilliant staff and lovely food, the champagne breakfast is the best!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I really wanted to rate this hotel 5 stars. The property is wonderful, one of the nicest I have ever stayed at. The staff tried to pay attention to every small want of our family ranging from inviting our young daughter to cookie baking classes to an associate sending me a hot toddy when she heard me coughing on the phone while ordering from room service. The quality of food at the restaurants , particularly Adaa the Indian restaurant was excellent. The sufi singers in the evening and the personalized dining experiences they organize at scenic points overlooking the city below seemed amazing ( though we didn't try them as they were fully booked).
However there were 2 glitches I don't expect from a Taj hotel
1. My bill while checking out was inflated by 25 k INR. This was due to the amount on some tax charges being off by two decimal places. The room chrges were incorrect too but to a lesser amount. While this was just a mistake, if the difference was not this significant, I wouldn't have checked and would just have signed off.
2. This relates to a service provider to the Taj and not the Taj itself. While using the airport drop off I requested if we could the a route through the city to have a look around and that I would pay the difference. The reception agreed and helpfully set it up. They asked me to pay the driver directly at an agreed rate per kilometer over the 40 it normally takes. At the airport the driver got his manager on the phone who told me that I needed to pay 5000 INR extra. When I asked for details ( ie the extra kilometers above 40 kms).. he promptly dropped it to 1100 INR.
I have never had something like this happen to me at the Taj before and I have been staying with them for many years...
Last small irritant.. luxury palace hotels should not charge extra for wifi. It is a small charge but at that price range it should be included. Seeing it on the bill is an irritant and most luxury hotels have long since stopped this practice.
Having said this .. the property is wonderful and the staff are great.. hopefully it was just a one off glitch

Room Tip: The Kohitoor suite we stayed at was large and great for a family. However it did not have great view...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Calcutta, West Bengal, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

If you want to have a real feel of royalty, Taj Falaknuma hotel is just the place for it. Right from the hotel pick, the ride from the palace gate to the palace on horse drawn carriage, the reception with showering of rose petals, the ambiance, the scenic beauty,the palace tours, the sufi music,the spa,the dining and private dining areas,the scented and milk baths,the cuisine, the service and the unbelievable hospitality took us back to the days of the Nizam. And yes, Taj Falaknuma serves the best biryani, galouti kabab and halim in this planet. And last but not the least, no one serves better croissants than TFP Hotel in the whole world.

• Stayed September 2013
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

From being met at the airport and being ushered to the waiting car till the moment you arrive at this amazing Palace you feel the magic.Being driven to the front door in a horse drawn carriage . the welcome drink and rose petals, the private butler all set the mood that you are in for a special stay. The rooms are very spacious and the bathroom very comfortable. Set on top of a hill views over Hyderabad is great and the gardens around the palace provides for a lovely stroll.
The historic tour sets the mood and takes you back to the days of the Nizam family and you feel privileged to share the art and furnishings. Stay no less than 2 or 3 days to relax and enjoy the Palace. The staff are to be commended for their friendliness and attention to detail.
Breakfast has to be one of the best selections I have seen anywhere and be careful you will be offered more than you can eat. There are two restaurants to choose from for dinner and both provide an extensive menu. Every Taj Palace I have stayed in is unique. This one has a special charm and a destination on its own.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
TajFalaknuma, General Manager at Taj Falaknuma Palace, responded to this review, October 9, 2013

Greetings from Taj Falaknuma Palace!

I would like to extend my gratitude for the wonderful review post your recent stay with us at our Palace. We were delighted to read that your stay with us was a pleasant and memorable one, and the Palace was able to help you relive the bygone era. We appreciate your warm feedback on our Palace and the services. I have shared your generous compliments with all our team members especially, I'm sure this would inspire them to aim for higher standards of excellence.

I’m also delighted to share exiting news with you Taj Falaknuma Palace recently won the prestigious Travel + Leisure India’s Best Heritage Hotel Award 2013 and The Best Spa Interiors award 2013 (Hotel & Resort) by Geospa AsiaSpa India Awards. We have also been awarded the Certificate of Excellence 2013 for consistently earning high traveler ratings by travelers, and also have been featured among the Top 25 Luxury Hotels in the Trip Advsior’s Travelers Choice Awards 2013.

We would like to once again thank you for your wonderful review and look forward to welcoming you back to the Taj Falaknuma Palace for another memorable holiday - a bit longer stay for the next time.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 4 days at the end of September - I had a palace room which was beautifully decorated and very clean. I stayed here because I was interested in the palace itself, but none the less was expecting a 5 star stay. Breakfast is excellent and run very efficiently - for me the best meal of the day. I dined in both restaurants during my stay but was not overwhelmed by either. I always find it particularly annoying when you are paying top of the market to be asked to pay an additional charge for the Internet. I found room service to be quick and efficient, and the girl who looked after pool service was charming.

One thing I would warn other travellers to avoid at all costs is the 'tailor' who is actually simply from an outside store somewhere within Hyderabad. For me he was the worst possible experience in an otherwise happy holiday. He ruined several pieces of fabric. The work was of such a low standard that I did not attempt to have the items altered. This experience should not have happened on the recommendation of such a prestigious hotel. It was a real annoyance.

Room Tip: There are many steps around this property to get to the Spa or the pool which could be a critical fa...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Greetings from Taj Falaknuma Palace!

Also, please do accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort caused to you on due to the unacceptable quality of stitching of fabric from our recommended tailor. I have taken up the matter very seriously with our Manager House Keeping and going forward we have decided not to call the current tailor for any guest requests, please be assured that we’ll ensure that corrective measures are taken to ensure that such an incident does not reoccur again.

We would like to thank you for your suggestion to make the internet in the Palace free of charge. The WIFI connection at the Palace, is currently a third party service, we’ll however definitely raise your feedback to our Corporate Office. Taj Falaknuma Palace being a part of a chain hotel, this decision will be implemented companywide to ensure consistency across all Taj hotels, resorts across the world.

Let us share with you some more interesting information about the Palace.

The restoration has almost took ten years, and the Taj Hotels Resorts and Palaces has infused new life into the Falaknuma Palace, which is ready to resume its status as Hyderabad’s most exclusive address to offer its guests a glimpse of the regal lifestyle of the Nizams who governed the legendary city of Hyderabad. After 10 years of extensive restoration, and preserving the priceless art and artifacts, Taj Falaknuma Palace now welcomes guests – completely restored, renewed and reinstated to its former glory.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

What can I say about the Taj Falaknuma Palace in Hyderabad? Simply put, it is the best hotel I have ever stayed at in my life.

Taj has several levels of properties and the Falaknuma is in the highest class, the Palace properties. After going through the security screenings, you are whisked back in time on a horse-draw carriage to the palace gates where the staff greet you with a cold towel and refreshing drink. You then are led up the steps under a shower of rose petals before you are sprinkled with rosewater and given a bracelet made of jasmine flowers.

The rooms are immaculate and massive. The bathroom is an oasis. The property is spectacular.

Falaknuma has two dining rooms, Adaa and Celeste. Adaa is the Indian cuisine restaurant while Celeste is Continental and the breakfast restaurant. Both are staffed by excellent staff.

This is truly a spectacular experience. It doesn't matter if you have mortgaged your future or are a multi-billionaire, the staff at Falaknuma treat you like royalty.

From the general manager down to the labourers, everyone is professional and friendly. Staff take time out of their busy days to answer your questions about the palace with smiles on their faces.

In the evening, the Sufi concert is haunting, yet beautiful to listen.

My only complaint about the Falaknuma is I did not book more time to stay in this wonderful hotel. But I'll definitely be back. Once I save up some pennies of course.

I think what makes this an amazing hotel is the little things. Any hotel can be great, but the attention to the most minute details is what separates Falaknuma from other luxury properties. For example, my planning was done so that my birthday was spent here. On the day of my birthday, I was greeted with good wishes from the staff plus cake and flowers in my room.

In the tea box in my room, I drank the Darjeeling tea. Each day, those teas were replenished. That sort of attention is what makes this hotel great.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Greetings from Taj Falaknuma Palace!

Let us share with you some more interesting information about the Palace.

Girish Sehgal

Been to Taj Falaknuma Palace? Share your experiences!