“An exceptionnal experience” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Feucherolles, France
“An exceptionnal experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We were lucky to be the only guests in this hotel for a few days in may 2013. What a marvellous, unique and incredible experience. Just as if we were the maharadjas owning the place ! Starting by the fact that we were upgraded to a suite on the second night although the room of the first night was perfect!
From the beginning wellcome in a horse carriage to the amazing experience of being alone in the pool , everything was close to perfection : food, rooms, service, pool, spa, kindness of people and moreover the place in itself, filled by history and charm.
The only "bad" point is that the hotel is far away from downtown, but anyway you don't want to leave it to go anywhere else !

Room Tip: The usual rooms are cosier, in our mind, than the suite we were upgraded in although the suite was r...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TajFalaknuma, General Manager at Taj Falaknuma Palace, responded to this review, October 9, 2013

Greetings from Taj Falaknuma Palace!

I would like to extend my gratitude for the wonderful review post your recent stay with us at our Palace. We were delighted to read that your stay with us was a pleasant and memorable one, and the Palace was able to help you relive the bygone era. We appreciate your warm feedback on our Palace and the services. I have shared your generous compliments with all our team members especially, I'm sure this would inspire them to aim for higher standards of excellence.

I’m also delighted to share exiting news with you Taj Falaknuma Palace recently won the prestigious Travel + Leisure India’s Best Heritage Hotel Award 2013 and The Best Spa Interiors award 2013 (Hotel & Resort) by Geospa AsiaSpa India Awards. We have also been awarded the Certificate of Excellence 2013 for consistently earning high traveler ratings by travelers, and also have been featured among the Top 25 Luxury Hotels in the Trip Advsior’s Travelers Choice Awards 2013.

We would like to once again thank you for your wonderful review and look forward to welcoming you back to the Taj Falaknuma Palace for another memorable holiday - a bit longer stay for the next time.

Girish Sehgal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

My colleague and I went here for dinner after work. Since it was a Tuesday (least busy day in India for restaurants) we did not bother making a reservation. FYI this palace is a 45 - 60 minute drive from the city. At the gate we were told if no reservation we could not go in. Since we had driven out and were hungry we requested him to check if tables were available. After a 5-min wait we were very politely told an exception could be made, as a big deal favour to us. And when we got in to the restaurant, guess how many tables were occupied - only 2. And over the next 1.5 hours we were there only 1 more couple came in. Hence the "procedures" were not warranted. This however is the case with many Taj properties - my least favourite hotel chain, but since they have some lovely palace properties and I enjoy wandering through palaces I still go to these properties. To make matters worse - we requested the hostess to take our order but hold it as we wanted to take the conducted tour of the hotel at 8.30 pm. She said NO (not politely) not possible as they cannot hold the table or make the food if we are not sitting at the table. The main course in any case was served 45 minutes after placing the order. Why could she not do what we asked, I do not know as neither were they busy nor for the prices they charge can they not provide top notch service. For a Tata enterprise Taj Hotels is a poorly run ship.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Definitely a place to stay if one can afford... believe me you can simply keep looking at the interiors for hours.. service and interiors of the palace is the best thing about the hotel... restaurant us also awesome with delicious deserts and the purity of real spices in every dish.

• Stayed August 2013

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

From the minute you arrive in this beautiful French/Italian palace with it's manicured gardens you are bewitched, you want to stay for ever.

It's all the little things that count I had a hectic full day sightseeing when my chambermaid Sujatha saw me coming back hot and sweaty and she asked if I would like a milk bath with rosé petals drawn for me to relax, then she said if I didn't want it now she would come back later joist name a time! What's more they come back on the dot and it was heaven.

The staff from the Celeste restaurant from the chef, to the supervisor to the waiters are incredible whatever you do don't say I can't make up my mind because they will bring you everything that you mentioned so that you can try it all.

The pool attendant is also a delight I mentioned that my skin was feeling dry and did she have have any hand lotion, the next thing I knew she had run over to the spa and come back with this beautiful body lotion for me...

Everyone from management down treats you like royalty, all I can say is how am I going to cope in the real world!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
TajFalaknuma, General Manager at Taj Falaknuma Palace, responded to this review, October 11, 2013

Greetings from Taj Falaknuma Palace!

I would like to extend my sincere gratitude for the wonderful and detailed review post your recent stay with us at our Palace. We were extremely delighted to read that your stay with us was a pleasant and memorable one, and the Palace was able to help you relive the bygone era. We appreciate your warm feedback on our Palace and the services. I have shared your generous compliments with all our team members especially with Our Chef Arun Sundararaj and the team, I'm sure this would inspire them to aim for higher standards of excellence.

We are delighted that you loved our Celeste , Let us share with you some more interesting information about the Celeste.

Inspired by the Renaissance, Celeste serves classical Italian and Mediterranean fare. Chefs have collaborated heavily with European connoisseurs to bring you the best, as ingredients have been sourced from every part of the world.

I’m also delighted to share exiting news with you Taj Falaknuma Palace recently has won the CNBC AWAAZ Travel Award 2013 for BEST LUXURY HOTEL CATEGORY in India also has been voted as the Asia’s Number 1 Hotel and Best of Best’ Top 5 hotels across the World in Conde Nast Traveller’s Reader’s Travel Awards – 2012, and as a runner’s up Best Overseas Holiday Hotel in Asia, and as among the Top 40 hotels in the World in Conde Nast Traveller’s Reader’s Travel Awards – 2012

Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed at the Falaknuma Palace in Hyderabad in September.

Let me start of by saying that the history and lifestyle of the Nizam and Falaknuma Palace is fantastic. If you have never seen it or read about the Nizam’s lifestyle and his palaces, you must.

Here is the Good and the Bad of the Falaknuma Palace.

Good:
1) Beautiful Room – We stayed in the Heritage Suite. Exclusive passage to the room, very spacious interiors and a balcony that boasted the best views of the hotel and its English Gardens.
2) Breakfast was served to us in our room balcony itself.
3) The Palace walking tour that takes place at 5:30 pm
4) Personal Library and the 101 seater dining table of the Nizam
5) The sun-dried tomato and mushroom risotto at Celeste
6) Dal Makhani and Garlic and Chilly naan at Ada
7) The only reason the service in this hotel can’t be voted as the worst, is because of Sagar who works in the Gym & Spa. Even though there were VIPs staying in the hotel, he offered to walk us around the hotel and made us feel a valued part of the palace.

Bad:
1) Terrible Service. I have never witnessed such horrible service ever at a Taj property. A month ago, I visited the Taj Umaid Bhawan in Jodhpur and was simply overwhelmed with the hospitality and service that they offered us, and I expected the same level when I came to Falaknuma (since they both are Taj’s best rated hotels and also the most expensive!); but it was not to be. Simple thing – in Umaid Bhawan everyone knew your name or at least knew that you were a guest in the hotel. At Falaknuma, one of the restaurant managers at dinner came up to ask us how the meal was and knew that we were guests of the hotel and the very same person the very next day during lunch came up to ask me if I was a guest in the hotel, as non-guests are not permitted in that area. This is supposed to be a world class hotel!
2) The day we arrived a politician was visiting a guest in the hotel and so the hotel was creeping with secret service agents and cops. As a result the hotel staff was running (literally running!) in the corridors, talking loudly, arranging things for the politicians comfort. At one moment, they did not allow us to go back to our rooms as the politician was about to enter the premises.
3) Another unique feature of this hotel is that when you arrive, you are greeted with a horse-drawn carriage and are taken to the reception hall in it. So when we arrived we wished to click ONE photograph alongside the carriage. The TAJ Security Guard informed us that we are wasting too much time and that we need to hurry up as a VIP will be coming soon. He rushed us in. Don’t you think when someone is paying upwards of INR30,000 or approx. $500 a night, you should be the VIP?
4) The corners of the Balcony of our suite were quite filthy. It looked like it had not been swept in days, which is not something you expect in a 5 star Taj property!

Only go to Falaknuma to witness the history and lifestyle of the Nizams, not for Taj’s service.

Room Tip: Ask for the Corner heritage Suites with Private Balcony
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hyderabad, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Being a resident of Hyderabad, I had heard about the grand Falaknuma Palace but since it was not open to the public other than residents of the Taj Falaknuma hotel I never had a chance to visit the place till last week. This time I had the good fortune of taking my daughter and son in law , residing in Chicago, USA,who came to visit us, for dinner at this Royal palace Hotel. The opulence and grandeur of the palace left us awestruck. It's breath taking architecture, magnificent artefacts and beautifully maintained gardens left us wanting for more. The staff were very courteous and we got real Royal experience going around and then dining in the "ADAH" restaurant. I recommend all those who visit Hyderabad to experience the Royal Tehzeeb of the Taj Falaknuma Palace hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
New Delhi, Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

we were told by friends that if you come back from Hyderabad without visitng Taj Falaknuma Palace our visit will be incomplete. We did not know that only residents are allowed and general public has to take special permission to enter the Palace . The permission was arranged by a friend and VOW the drive to the palace as if we were going on a Hill station. The taxi parked at the main gate and after entering our name we were given a gold cart to carry us to the entrance of the hotel. The majestic front of the palace was something not seen before by us and we were wonder stuck at the architecture of the building and the front view of the green patch and the entire city. We were thrilled to see that the hotel guests are ferreid in horse buggy unto the entrance received in traditional honor by a guard in traditional dress and then taken up from the left stairs as per Vastu and rose petals are showered on them while they climb the stairs. The interior of the palace with Europeans statues, the readng room, the bathroom and the meeting rooms were splendid. The walkway to the Restaurant was amazing and the view from the end of the restaurant was beautiful, the entire city was visible . A cup of coffee and the Masala tea specially prepared by the chef was tasty and enjoyable. A tray full of complimentary chocolates and cookies added to the flavor. We never wanted to leave the palace and decided that in our next visit we will definitely stay at the palace itself. This was comparable to the real Taj Mahal.

Room Tip: Please ensure that you get the permission to enter the palace if you are not staying there.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Taj Falaknuma Palace? Share your experiences!