“A Haven in Hectic Hyderabad” 4 of 5 stars

Free WiFi, B.Fast
Ranked #21 of 279 Hotels in Hyderabad
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“A Haven in Hectic Hyderabad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My husband and I recently spent five nights at the Golkonda and enjoyed our experience very much. We were in Hyderabad for a wedding and a friend had booked us into another hotel nearby. However, we were not impressed with comments about it on TripAdvisor and so organised to change to the Golkonda at short notice and were very glad we did.

The friendliness, the professional and the standard of service displayed by the staff in general was most commendable. I would particularly like to thank the staff at Melange where we ate many of our meals and also the staff at the Zanzibar where we spent some very pleasant hours. Everyone was courteous and considerate and we enjoyed some very funny moments with many of them.

The barman at the Zanzibar deserves a special mention for finally making a Margarita that satisfied the tastebuds of this fussy Australian. He was not going to be beaten and once he conquered the recipe he made sure I gave my opinion on each drink from then on – lovely sense of humour which I appreciated!

I have left my most special mention to last because this lovely young lady Sneha, who was on the reception desk, was the most important to me. One of the security guards at the airport had made me tear off the wrapping paper from around our wedding present so he could check it and we hadn’t had time to find a shop to buy new wrapping. At midnight, the night before our early morning wedding, Sneha somehow managed to find me some pretty paper to rewrap the gift.

As well, the next morning she was only too happy to fold and drape the new saree I had bought to wear to the wedding. This was the first time I had ever worn one and had no idea what to do and soon discovered it was no easy task! She was very patient and did a wonderful job and I will always remember her with gratitude and fondness. She is an excellent asset to her employers and I hope they pay her accordingly!

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor but I would suggest a higher floor to get views of the city which we didn...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Indonesian first
Nerul, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I visited Hyderabad in Dec 2012 with my family and stayed at The Golkonda located at Masab Tank, Banjara hills.

I selected hotel after reading reviews at TripAdvisor and booked hotel online well in advance as the rate offered online were better than hotel rates. I had requested for Premium City View rooms on 6th floor and above and got the rooms I wanted. View from the room was fantastic, especially sunrise which I could see every day from my room lying on bed...

# Hotel is very good and at good location
# Staff is warm and welcoming (still there is scope of improvement)
# They served nice combination of Continental + Indian breakfast... had quite a good options ...(still there is scope of improvement)
# Rooms were clean and well maintained.

They had created nice atmosphere for Christmas and New years....

Overall experience at hotel was really good and My parents were very happy and that was one the sole reason to choose nice hotel and "Golkonda"lived upto my expectations....

Room Tip: Choose city view rooms above 4th floor. We stayed in room no. 611 & 612 which were exactly the k...
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We have stayed at the Golkonda a few times before when visiting family in Hyderabad and have always been pleased with the service, and this week-long stay was no different. It seems to have been renovated recently although there are still some areas that show wear and tear. The staff is always pleasant and eager to assist. The buffet (breakfast, lunch, or dinner) is phenomenal, the best of Hyderabadi food for a very reasonable price. The rooms are a average size but clean, and beds are comfortable, I actually had to mend a blouse while I was here and room even came with a small sewing kit. The location is prime for shopping and sight-seeing. My only gripes are that the shower door kept leaking which completed drenched the bathroom floor every time we took a shower and that on some days housekeeping would tidy the room even when we had the "do not disturb" sign on, also the room could use better/more lighting (was too dull at night). Overall, this hotel is a great deal for the price and I will probably stay here again when visiting Hyderabad.

Mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I selected the hotel reading the review here. Thanks everyone for recommending as it is definitely a good hotel though the rooms were slightly small but definitely clean, well kept hotel. Easily accessible and public transport was available immediately when you walked out of the hotel. It is not a hotel for a relaxing holiday as not much options but for a traveling holiday (when you don't plan to spend much time in the hotel) and business travel definitely yes. But in case you are a foodie and want to eat Hyderabadi food that is biryani, khichada, (speciality of hyderabad, really well cooked, kababs, etc, this is the place. Best biryani that I have eaten in a long long time in Hyderabad, the other places are horrible and the biryani, nothing to write about but they know the true meaning of biryani - Must Try. Even the food served in the coffee shop and buffet is really awesome, the chutneys, sambhar, etc. For the food I definitely recommend this place as the rooms are clean and good for the money they charge. And do try the Onion Kheer, I didn't know something like this existed also, really good and if they won't tell you, you won't know that's what you eating.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We enjoyed our stay here for two nights. The hotel facilities are good and the service is excellent. The location of the hotel helped to visit the location sightseeing attractions. The room is comparatively small though very well maintained. Internet access was complimentary. The hotel had a good pool though not a heated one.
The breakfast spread is good and we enjoyed the breakfast.

mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Being my 1st visit to hyd, I booked Golkonda purely on the basis of the reviews on this site & i was so pleased that it exceeded my expectations. I stayed here for 4 days. The staff was extremely efficient, courteous without being intrusive. Any query, doubt or assistance is immediately taken care of. The food is excellent, one of the best pastas i've had. I ordered room service on all 3 days, with the staff taking my order specifications very precisely and it isn't expensive either. The rooms are well furnished, comfortable & pretty well stocked with essentials. the free wi-fi service had good connection. The hotel isn't centrally located, so if your on vacation and want to be out about, have easy walkable access to eating places, shopping or merely a walk around the market, this might not be ideal for you. However main tourist places, and shopping centres are few kms away. (charminar & golkonda fort each are 10kms , around 40 mins away, while GVK one mall is about 2kms, 15mins). all in all , I enjoyed my stay here & thank you Golkonda for making my first trip a memorable one.

Room Tip: request for a higher floor with pool facing to avoid the nearby flyover noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We stayed in this hotel to attend a function in Hyderabad. Its a nice property, very centrally located. Rooms are comfortable and looked newly furnished. It seems that that was a old property which now newly furnished as it showed at few places specially in toilet as fittings were not properly fixed.
But we liked over all atmosphere. Check-in was fast. Beds were comfortable and staff if very cooperative.
The best part is the restaurant 'Jewel of Nizam' which is a must visit. Food there is really fantastic. But you need to reserve in advance.
I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Golkonda Hyderabad? Share your experiences!