“Kelt” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 13 Specialty Lodging in Kololi
Durham, United Kingdom
“Kelt”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

Checked in at manchester airport at 12 25 we paid the £7 so no queues at passport control
no hassle .21 10 Arrived sat 14th jan for a week in the sun to the smiley faces of the reception staff,shown our room which we were not happy about shown another 2 rooms which was a nono after 14hours and stressed decided to sleep the night in 1st room provided as promised we would be moved at 9 next morning and they kept to the promise .Room was huge not many coat hangers as my partner takes more clothes than the beckhams even just for a week but within 5 mins the cleaner arms was full so problem solved.
Breafast time was'nt a problem apart form a bit of a wait for the coffee but by the end of our holiday been big improvement as rearrange how everything was laid out in help yourself to tea coffee which was easier.staff really helpful and very pleasant some rude people just push in to try in get things as though you don'nt exist mainly the germans but thats how they are in they think we rude but treat them how they treat you andproblem sorted.
Beach is the bet part as if you walk in either direction its the cleanest bit by far we enjoyed the beds so relaxing the ones at the top cant be moved but the others can be the beach boy would move the with no hassle into the shade or where the sun was facing.you pay 600 dal but you eat there you have 600dal to spend if you use the beds.my partner really enjoys the fish soup nearly had it every day.
Senegambia is a must some lovely places to eat but remember
be polite when approached it is the smiley country as they say.we had ozzy the cabby fromoutside the hotel who could'nt do enough for us good security haha always ther so idask
for ozzy trustworthy on leaving he made our us necklaces with our names on and we keeping in touch for our next visit next year.
This is our 2nd stay in this hotel last 2yr ago when Jerma Beach they say been refurbished but couldnt see this in the rooms given but the breakfast area has been added on and the beach better the only downside the rooms could do with a touch up.Overall i say keep up the good work to all the staff ivery hard workers and see you next year.....

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

This hotel needs a lot of work to even be considered average:
Rooms: The first room I was put into had the most awful mouldy smell coming from the bathroom. I was moved into another room and while it was reasonably clean, the carpet had a very nasty hole and stain. Half the room was covered by a piece of fitted carpet - presumably the fitted carpet underneath was in an even worse condition. The bathroom was average but I soon found out why they didn't have a shower curtain for the above-bath shower: the water trickles out so slowly that you can't wet the floor even if you try. The one morning we did not have water at all. The bed was comfortable.
Food: The breakfast fare is really average and, although they say it starts at 7 am, they are still wandering around opening at 7:15. The breakfast room is so badly lit, you cannot see what you are serving up - and certainly can't see the difference between the jams and other spreads - I had to take the whole serving tub outside so I could see what I wanted. Dinner was OK - I ate fish - although service is slow.
Facilities: The pool is fantastic, but they run out of towels very early. I was working in the day and when I came back to have a swim in the late afternoon, there were never any towels. Surely they could have enough for all the guests?
General infrastructure: The hotel really needs maintenance, ceilings are bulging, stairs are dirty and walls are chipped.
Payment: I understand that most people are on packaged tours so they don't pay for their hotel bill on checkout. But their website says they have credit card facilities and they don't. I had to get money from an ATM - but the cost per day was D2500 and one can take out a maximum of D2000 per transaction from an ATM! Also, the website (Sunswing Hotel - they have actually changed their name) says the cost for a standard room is 50 Euro but the staff did not know about it and said the standard cost was D2500 (about 65 Euro).

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Calne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

The hotel staff were excellent. However the rooms were dated and bathroom filthy, mold around bath etc. The food wasn't great. The pool was nice. What spoilt this holiday was when you left the hotel, so many bumsters you could not walk along the beach without being hassled constantly, we took to walking in the sea away from shore but it ruined our holiday. We rented a taxi for a whole day with an excellent driver called Bamba (pictured with us with crocodile!) He was fair and showed us around markets and gave us a reasonable price, another day though another taxi driver really tried to rip us off so be careful. We went on a few trips -market, wildlife park, river in dug out boat. We also took some push bikes out and saw the real villages. there are some nice restaurants down the senagambia strip but be warned you can't walk anywhere without someone trying to sell you something or rip you off.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

O.K we have now been back from our annual hol’s for a little over a week now, so I suppose it’s time to do our little review of how our first trip to The Gambia and the African Continent.

One word can sum it up – “FAB !!!”.

Flight:

We flew with Thomas Cook from Gatwick.
We had been very by the book in terms of luggage allowance and the size of hand luggage, however there were still large carry on suitcases being allowed through.
They do weigh your hand luggage and put a tag on to show it`s been checked.

The flight itself was ok. It`s very cramped, especially for those who are tall!
There is no in flight entertainment and we took on our own snacks instead of opting for theirs. They got us their safe and sound and with no delays.

We even saw a famous TripAdvisor character while waiting in the departure lounge at Gatwick – Tony.
I nudged my Mrs while watching this old guy walking by with his walking stick…the Mrs said…”Probably some old hippy on his way to Goa”, little did we know at that time, that he was indeed the infamous character known as Tony, who frequents The Gambia a couple of times a year and has been mentioned on the forum’s here previously.
We were informed of Tony’s notoriety, later on in our holiday by a waiter in Ali Baba’s on the strip after we saw Tony there a couple of times rather worse for wear on the Julbrew…lol.

Banjul Airport:

The Arrivals hall at Banjul Airport is a little chaotic but nothing we haven’t encountered previously in other countries such as India etc.

At the queuing point for passport control we got waved through to the front of the queue by a security guard as we had my 4yr old daughter with us, which was a stroke of luck, then the same guard escorted us over to the baggage belt area and with a little smile asked if we would be kind enough to show him some thank’s, in a monetary way, which I thought was fair enough, so I gave him a couple of pound coins and he went off as happy as Larry.
The bags were then starting to come through on the baggage belt, so after reading previous advice on here about getting through quicker with the aid of a porter, off I went on the quest to find a baggage porter.
A moment or so later and we had our baggage porter sorted and we collected our bags and we were then swiftly through the x-ray scanner and on our way to the transfer bus to be delivered to our respective hotel, obviously not before handing out more pound coins to the baggage porter also the bus man who was lifting our bags up onto the roof of the bus and also the man who was tying the bags down on the roof.
All in all I think I spent close to around £10 in pound coins before even getting on the bus…lol.

We were the last drop off after about 6 stops. Definitely consider a taxi to save time!

On departure, they didn`t seem bothered about your hand luggage, which was slightly annoying as I had, had to fore-go a large drum for a smaller one.
There is also an area to sit outside airside, so you can have that last cigarette before getting on the plane!

Hotel:

So we arrived at the Sun-Swing Beach Resort, formally Jerma Beach in the early evening and found the check in at reception efficient and very speedy.

We were taken to our room which was upstairs.
It was fairly roomy and had 3 beds in it.
The décor was a little dated but it looked clean and tidy enough.
The main worry was being upstairs with a large open window (no balcony) and a 4 year old.

We like to be able to sit outside in the evening and have a beer or two but it kind of felt like a prison cell because once you were in your room, that was it you didn`t come out till the next day!
Also I smoke, but won’t smoke indoors when my daughters about…so this room wasn’t really ideal for our needs.

We went back to reception and tried to persuade them to give us one of their villas, unfortunately it never worked…lol.
We were then shown one of the rooms on the ground floor which was a little smaller than the original room but it had the facility to be able to sit outside which we wanted.
The porter commented that the room only had two beds in it and he would go and fetch a third, we said two beds would be fine and not to worry as we thought the beds would be adequate enough for us.

The rooms are very basic, but kept clean by the excellent Housekeeping staff.
There is air conditioning and a mini fridge which is included in the price.
There was no coffee making facilities, but a word with one of the room porters resulted in a kettle and 2 cups.
There is adequate clothing storage.
The tv has 2 channels, but I think we only turned it on a couple of times.
The rooms have safes which you choose your code.
However there are some intermittent problems with the functioning of these.
We even bought fresh batteries to try and get it to work, alas after locking us out for the 100th time we requested a new safe and it was promptly brought to the room, however, it still wasn`t perfect, but hey it was Gambia and the safe’s are just cheap Chinese rubbish, even the maintenance man said so…..lol!
The bathrooms have baths (no plug) and a shower.
Just be cautious as there is no shower curtain and the water goes on the floor, making it very slippery when getting out.
There are hairdryers in the bathroom.
We did get to see the inside of the villas and they are lovely in an African way.

Maddies Beach Club:

Maddies Beach Club is the hotels new beach bar and restaurant.
I’m quite fussy about what I eat as I’m a chef and tend to pick faults in things…but the food at Maddies was of a reasonable quality and I was happy with what I received.
It is quite a nice place to eat but very expensive compared to other places outside of the hotel, but that is to be expected.
They have daily specials but on the whole their menu is very limited.
If you dine at Maddies at night, it is quite difficult to see exactly what you are eating as you only have an oil lantern on your table as your main source of light…so you could be eating anything…lol.
On a Saturday evening they do BBQ and Salsa Band evening and to be honest, I wasn’t impressed.
They are charging 450 Dalasi per head for a buffet of Chicken, Fish and Beef with some rice and a couple of salads.
I was expecting the food to be freshly BBQ’d as you ordered, as they weren’t busy enough not to warrant this sort of service.
I can’t comment on the Salsa Band sadly as we went back to the room with a few beers after our meal as we were all little tired.

Maddies is also where you go for breakfast in the morning, which had a reasonable selection to choose from, fresh fruit (Melon, Papaya, Pineapple & Banana’s), cereals, Bacon, Fried Ham, Scrambled Eggs, Chicken Sausages and you could also order fried eggs or omelettes. There were also some rather nice fresh baguettes with slices of cheese or ham to choose from along with obviously fruit juice and tea or coffee.
Sometimes the service was a little slow on the tea or coffee but you just go with the flow and remember you are not in the U.K now.

Swimming Pool & Beach:

We found the swimming pool nice and cooling and my daughter made full use of the little paddling pool they have at the hotel.
They have put new edging around the pool to prevent slipping.
The beach immediately outside the hotel is nice and kept clean not like the horrible stretch of beach that they have at the Senegambia hotel where the beach has been eroded away.

The hotel`s stretch of beach, houses about eight cabanas which you can hire for the day at 600 Dalasi!!!! But saying that, you also receive a days credit of 600 Dalasi to spend on food and drink in Maddies on that day.
Anything left of the 600 Dalasi at the end of the day does not returned to you though, so be aware of that.

You can relax on the beach without much hassle from any hawkers as the hotel has security guards either side of their stretch of beach, that stops anything from spoiling your relaxation, but step outside of these boundaries and be ready…lol.
The fruit ladies produce a lovely plate of fruit for 150 dalasi!

Staff:

All the hotel staff was very friendly and courteous and got to know us by our first names very quickly.
A big shout goes out to Alex, who sorts out the beds and cabanas on the beach and also to Lamin who generally looks after the swimming pool area and who also gave me a guided tour of The Bunker (as we called it), the pool filtration room.
On our first few day’s we watched the coming’s and going’s up and down from this bunker with much hilarity and I just had to find out exactly what they had down there, seemingly according to Alex and Lamin, both Saddam Hussein and Colonel Gaddaffi have spent time hiding out in this bunker….lol.
Also Ebou, the Room Porter, nothing was too much trouble and he even gave us a traditional Gambian dance in our room on our last night.
“Top Blokes, the whole lot of them”.

Out & About:

We had a few strolls along the beach in either direction from the hotel and were prepared and ready for the bumsters, but to be honest I like to stop and spend 5 minutes of my time with the locals and find out what their selling, what they are charging etc etc…to me it’s all part of the experience and I never felt un-safe or intimidated, just be cheerful and go with the flow.
One night we even strolled along the beach after dark to Baileys Beach Bar which is a short stroll along the beach to the right of the hotel for an evening of BBQ and cultural dancing for 300 dalasi pp with my daughter free.
There were a couple of locals walking on the beach in the opposite direction to us and one of them said something like”better pick up the pace brother, it’s getting dark”, which did make us think a little, but we were now fairly close to Baileys and could only go as fast as my daughters little legs would carry her.

Bailey’s BBQ evening was a good night until the live band that was scheduled for after the cultural dancers called the bar to say they couldn’t make it that evening.
The bar manager/owner came out and announced to everybody that he had arranged for another hour of cultural dancing.
The dancers were very good indeed but I think an hour or so was enough, but Baileys did try their best to keep us all entertained, so hat’s off to Baileys and their food was tasty too.

We used to frequent the Senegambia strip most evenings and found the food on offer from the bars we went into of a reasonably good standard, although sometimes a little pricey taking into consideration where you are.
Our favourites were Paradiso Pizza and The African Queen, although we had also frequented Ali Baba’s and Yasmina’s.
We also liked a bar called Bucarabu on the Palma Rima Road, the menu here once again was a bit limited but the food was very good and we spent two different evenings here and the prices were a fair bit cheaper than on the strip.
A meal for 3 adults and some tapas bits for my daughter along with a fair few Julbrew’s and a couple of dark rums for me and a couple of Bailey’s for the Mrs the bill was 1650 dalasi…I think that’s fair value for money.
On a Tuesday night they have a band and everyone gets into the spirit!
We spent a few nights in Ali Baba Garden which had a good vibe.
The same band were on every night so was a bit repetitive, but they were good and the lead singer put our daughter up on stage to sing “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” on 3 separate nights.

We used the taxis, mainly to get back from the strip, some of them would never be let on the UK roads, all part of the experience.

We didn’t do a lot of sightseeing as we had our 4yr old and didn`t want to venture too far with her.
We chose Arch Tours to do the 4 in 1 as we had read a lot of excellent reviews about them. We had a great time and for £40 pp and my daughter for free we thought it was great value for money.
We visited Serrekunda Market which was an experience of the senses.
Then onto the Crocodile Pool where we had the obligatory photo with “Charlie”, then on to the Cattle and Goat Market and Lamin Lodge.
Sadly we did this trip on a Saturday so we didn`t visit the school, but we did visit a village where when we arrived there were about 8 or 9 kids but by the time we had been shown inside a village house etc and got back close to the jeeps, the bush telephone had been in force as there were now about 20 – 30 kids all there waiting to see the visitors and hopefully get some sweets or other nick-nacks.
My daughter really enjoyed that part of the day, spending some time with the kids, she was showing them all, her newly acquired crocodile tooth purchased at the crocodile pool…lol.
We had lunch at Paradise Beach, before relaxing on the sand before the last stop at Tanji Village to see the fishing boats coming in.
The guides from Arch Tours were fantastic and where it was busy they took control, made sure we were kept safe and even took turns carrying our daughter, especially in the market and at the fishing village.
A big thumbs up for Arch Tours, they were great.

Independently we also went out one morning to see the Vulture Feeding at The Senegambia Hotel and were planning on going to The Monkey Park after, but beware of the little con played here at The Senegambia.
The guy feeding the vultures at The Senegambia asked the crowd who was wanting a tour of the monkey park after the vulture feeding, we were going to do this anyway that morning so took the opportunity to go with their guide for a charge of 150 dalasi a head, being un-aware that according to Alex the pool and beach guy at our hotel it only costs something like a third of what the Senegambia guide charged us to get into the monkey park and children of a certain age are free.
It wasn’t a problem though…when you’re a tourist and you don’t know the going rate you expect to be ripped off here and there.

Money:

We took some cash and sterling travellers cheques.
We were getting 45.5 dalasi to the pound on the strip for T.C's.
We were changing our cheques at the money changing bureau at the top of the strip opposite Yasmina’s.
We did use the ATM once; there are a couple on the strip and never really saw any people queuing up at them during our stay.

Souvenirs:

We bought a few nik-naks for gifts for family etc from the craft market located at the top of the strip.
You will certainly get hastled from the moment you step in until the moment you come out, but once again stay cool and enjoy the experience…I certainly did.
On one day when we visited as we were there on 3 separate occasions…there was a busker playing away on some sort of home-made box guitar like thing, me being me…I got into the swing and joined him in the entertainment to all the market traders joy…they were coming out from their stalls far and wide to see what all the hilarity and noise was, only to find some mad European tourist getting into the groove with the local busker.

All I can say is = haggle hard.
There are bargains to be had but the traders will start off at some ridiculous price.
Stay calm, have a smile on your face and enjoy it.

The Gambia
Great Place, Great People
We will be back, someday.
(Please don’t change).

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
wigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

the jerma beach has been renamed sunswing beach resort, the new owners are dutch. we, a couple in our fifties,have been to gambia about 25 times. there are about 5 hotels i would stay in, the rest are not nice .the sunswing was in that catagorie, but now due to all the improvements it is one of the best. it is right on the beach, a ten min stroll to the main area,senegambia,but not too close, staff are great, rooms have good facilities,even carpets, which is a first in the gambia,air con is included in price,most hotels charge xtra,breakfast is good,better than most, consisting of cereal,fresh fruit, toast, fresh bread, jams, bacon, sausage, beans, eggs any way you want them.nice pool no probs with sunbeds. we were on bxb its very cheap to eat out in gambia, paradiso in senegambia is one of the best and cheap,its allways full.money wise take £ notes only,dont change in hotel, change in senegambia, you will get a far better rate. this hotel really has been changed, forget the bad reviews it is now one of the best

Room Tip: ground floor rooms are smaller, but have terrace, they lead right onto the pool.upstairs rooms are b...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

Thomas Cook brochure page 268,
Jerma Beach Hotel,"Bright,modern accommodation"
Customer relations have said (along with alot of other piffle) that the brochures are printed up to 18 months in advance,and things can change.
Change they certainly have,I suspect the brochure photographs are from when the hotel opened.
Our room was filthy on arrival,trust me on this,I dont have a holiday to dust and wipe before I dare put clothes away.
The shower was laid in the bath with no means of fixing it back on the wall,this took 3 days to be repaired,
Can you guess what was under the toilet seat ? ( clue ) ---- short black and curly----and still there now I suspect
When I moved the top sheet on the bed I was faced with a torn mattress and lots of ants , no thank you matron, we were shown 3 other rooms which got worse the final one had the wardrobe doors leant against the wall (dont worry ,easily fix) torn carpet (dont worry we put something over it)and a leak in the bathroom (dont worry etc)
I just wanted to go home,had I worked all year to come to this dump?
After numerous visits to reception and talks with Thomas Cook rep(who was leaving in a few days and didnt seem that interested) we were offered an upgrade at a cost of £12 per person per night , as we still had 3 weeks to go so this would have been over £500 extra.
We couldnt afford this as we had already paid nearly £2400 to Thomas Cook.
A transfer to another hotel would cost so would flights home.
The final straw came with 2 weeks still to go when we had an infestation of cockroaches in the bathroom and the "cleaner" wouldn't go near and said she would fetch some spray for me.
Cue hysterical woman at reception,the manager wouldn't come out to play so I ended up with front of house manager who said as soon as one came empty we would move to bungalow,no charge.
We did move,and had 2 week in a bungalow.
The hotel beach is dirty
Breakfast basic
Bumsters a pain in the proverbial,some did NOT understand a polite "no thank you"
Food and drink in hotel expensive
Food at the "strip" not much cheaper.
If you want entertainment /things to do and see go somewhere else.
If you write to THOMAS COOK expect some nonsense back with your complaints dismissed with thanks for your feedback
Have a look at photographs of this hotel

Room Tip: beware glass door breakfast room(broken)
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

We stayed at the Jerma Beach for one week, our room was basic but ok. We did see the cottages and I would recommend anyone upgrade to one of these, they are very nice and roomy for a family.
The hotel is situated right on the beach and is in within reach of many fantastic restaurants. We loved the Mandarin chinese restaurant, very authentic!
Also, the Baileys bar situated on the beach does lovely food and the staff are wonderful.
I was a bit apprenhensive about going to the Gambia with a 4 year old, but fear not it is a truly brilliant experience.
The people are lovely, the weather is beautiful and we seen some amazing willife (and stroked a crocodile!).

Make sure you use your safe in the hotel!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to SunSwing Beach Resort? Share your experiences!